Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2016, 10:25   #1

Boat: S&S 34
More Loo blues

Hi all, a few weeks back I posted, requesting assistance with my head system. I had toilet waste coming back into the bowl, filling it up while underway and spilling all over the place...Very nasty!!!...Well, at the time I had some great responses from CF colleagues, mostly suggesting I change the 'Joker' valve - in my case, on the TMC head its called a 'flapper' valve.

After the traumatic experience of 'going in' and performing valve replacement etc I found that the problem has not gone away (and while I did replace it anyway, my flapper valve looked fine and not really in need of replacing)...

I have noticed that my waste outlet hose from the toilet which goes to a small treatment unit, doesn't seem to have a very high bend in it (i.e. it is almost 'downhill' from the treatment unit). This means that there will always be a tendency for pushback on the flapper valve when there is any boat movement (whether stationary or underway).

My question is: Should the waste exit hose from the head take a high bend above the height of the treatment unit to reduce the possibility of back flow?...ie would this solve my problem or just put undue pressure on the electric pump?

i'm not good at this stuff, so I really appreciate any help I can get.
Old 17-04-2016, 11:10   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: More Loo blues

A flapper valve and a joker valve are not the same thing. The electric TMC toilet only has a flapper valve, but the parts list for the manual toilet shows both a flapper valve and a joker valve. So...which is your toilet-- manual or electric?

However, replacing it will only be a temporary "band aid" on your problem...solving it correctly will--as you've guessed--require some re-plumbing. But before I can help you figure out exactly what you need to do, I need more information about your treatment device, which, since you're in OZ, may not be one that's sold here in the US. So I need to know what it is and how it's installed to know how it should have been plumbed in the first place. It might be easier to switch to email to send me any instructions for your toilet and the device...just click on the email link instead of the PM link to do that.
peghall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2016, 12:32   #3

Boat: a sailing boat

On our boat the exit hose goes in a loop up to the deck before it turns round and falls down to a valve below the water line.

Hence my guess is that you will also incorporate such a loop before attaching your exit to any facility, tank or other device. Gravity, the new fifth force ;-)

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2016, 13:45   #4

Boat: S&S 34

thanks Peghall, The TMC toilet is electric and the treatment unit is a saniloo. Both the hoses in and out of the saniloo are at the top side of the unit.