Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2017, 05:26   #1

Maunal Pump Toliet Not Emptying!

I apologise of this ends up being a thing I should know how to do, I just got my first sailboat and have no idea how to use the toliet. Ive been scrounging gogle for days now, and the only thing i can make out about the model is its something that begins with an F, followed by sport- 33. Unfortunately I didnt recieve the manual on my actual model boat 1981 Pearson 27', and the guy who sold me the boat is unattainable. Thank you for any help you can give me!
meamic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2017, 05:43   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Maunal Pump Toliet Not Emptying!

How about a photo of the head? Maybe include some of the plumbing as well.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2017, 06:48   #3

Wasnt able to get a good picture of it but while trying to find the plumbing i found anothet spot with the name "passport Potty 33 or 38. A storms going on so a little hard to see. (Need to redo the electrical in here)
meamic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2017, 07:41   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

I had never heard of a Passport Potty so I looked it up. It appears to be a portable camping toilet. Maybe this has some useful information.
http://goneoutdoors.com/use-passport-potty-7782856.html
Old 24-10-2017, 08:04   #5

Passsport Potty is a porta-potty. The lower unit should be a removable tank. That needs to be taken to shore and manually poured into a toilet.

You'll need to close the upper section before removing the lower tank. After you empty the tank, reinstall the tank, then open the upper section to dump the contents of the bowl into the tank.

The bowl won't empty because the tank below is full.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2017, 08:17   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post

The bowl won't empty because the tank below is full.
You will want to remove the contents from the bowl before you separate the toilet into the upper and lower sections to go empty the lower section... otherwise when you separate the two sections the contents of the bowl will spill out and you'll have one heck of a mess....
Old 24-10-2017, 08:20   #7
Marine Service Provider

I found it...the Passport Potty is a camping portapotty...The "33" or ''38" indicates the size of the tank...3 liters or 8. This site seems to have the best description of it. https://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...otty?a=1699939 They show it as "sold out" but may be able to refer you to the mfr for an owners manual.

Marine portapotties have hold down brackets...yours may or may not have any, which would make it a problematic on a sailboat (any boat actually). There is no plumbing unless a PO jury rigged something. The tank has be removed and taken off the boat to be emptied into a toilet on shore (which a lot of marinas do NOT like!)

There are marine portpotties--"MSD" models--that are designed to be pumped out instead of carried off the boat. Check out the Sealand Sanipotties 975 MSD and the Thetford 550P MSD.

The title of my book (see link in my signature)is a bit mislead because it not only deals with odor, it's a comprehensive "marine toilets and holding tanks 101" manual...and I'm always glad to answer any questions it doesn't.

Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2017, 09:05   #8

Boat: Jeanneau 49DS

"The title of my book (see link in my signature)is a bit mislead because it not only deals with odor, it's a comprehensive "marine toilets and holding tanks 101" manual...and I'm always glad to answer any questions it doesn't."

Over USD17 for 114 pages? I know anything to do with boats is over priced but that really is aspirational!

I suppose it is short enough to read sitting on the potty in one, or maybe two, sessions.

Otherwise, there is enough here on Cruisers Forum and elsewhere on the web to satisfy even the most obsessive.
Alita49DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2017, 11:29   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alita49DS View Post
"The title of my book (see link in my signature)is a bit mislead because it not only deals with odor, it's a comprehensive "marine toilets and holding tanks 101" manual...and I'm always glad to answer any questions it doesn't."

Over USD17 for 114 pages? I know anything to do with boats is over priced but that really is aspirational!

I suppose it is short enough to read sitting on the potty in one, or maybe two, sessions.

Otherwise, there is enough here on Cruisers Forum and elsewhere on the web to satisfy even the most obsessive.
Peggie's book is worth every penny. You're paying for the information, not paper.

A lot of knowledge is available on Cruiser's Forum because Peggie is so generous with her work. For die hard cheap skates you can buy the digital edition for ten bucks.

I worked in the marine industry for fifty years. There is a common impression in the industry that sailors are cheap. I never felt that way, but you may change my mind.
Old 25-10-2017, 11:55   #10

Boat: Jeanneau 49DS

"I worked in the marine industry for fifty years. There is a common impression in the industry that sailors are cheap. I never felt that way, but you may change my mind."

There is a common impression, based on hard fact, that if you can find the same thing in a caravan shop it will be a fraction of the price that a chandler will charge.

The marine industry, probably rightly, reckons that sailors have a higher financial pain threshold.

As for your comment that "You're paying for the information, not paper" that could be read a piece of contextual inadvertence. Raised a smile though.
Alita49DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2017, 13:41   #11

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada

Quote:
"I worked in the marine industry for fifty years. There is a common impression in the industry that sailors are cheap. I never felt that way, but you may change my mind."

There is a common impression, based on hard fact, that if you can find the same thing in a caravan shop it will be a fraction of the price that a chandler will charge.

The marine industry, probably rightly, reckons that sailors have a higher financial pain threshold.

As for your comment that "You're paying for the information, not paper" that could be read a piece of contextual inadvertence. Raised a smile though.
I understand you have only been a member of the forum since Spring of this year. If you look back over the years you will find that Peggie is always very forthcoming about helping anyone with problems with their heads or waste systems. She is very knowledgeable, and very generous with her time.

Your attempt to disparage her for selling a book with her knowledge and experience is not well received.

Steve
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2017, 14:30   #12

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

+ 100 !

Another Steve

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2017, 14:59   #13
SFS

This is especially true if you have not read the book!

I would also point out that this is not the only boating forum to which Peggie devotes a LARGE amount of her time, sharing her encyclopedic knowledge of her field, free of charge, and with great humor.

Instead of complaining about the price, buy the book, read it, and THEN draw conclusions about its worth.
SFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2017, 15:16   #14

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Where's the helpful attitude usually present on this forum? Alita can't afford the book, instead of scorning him out, why not help him out? Maybe a go fund me account, I'm sure most of us can afford a quarter. If 68 of us can chip in, he's golden and his boat will smell terrific!

goat
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2017, 15:44   #15

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

Quote:
Peggy's book is worth its cost. She knows her ____. Her book will not lead you astray. I do not know of better on the subject.
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote