Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2016, 09:23   #91
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Massive bilge pump idea

By the way, who is "Bob", and why would I want him as an Uncle, is he rich or something?

Oh and I don't understand the worry about storing a gasoline engine in the boat either, just ensure there is NO gasoline in it, drain the carburetor.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2016, 10:22   #92

Boat: Catalina 387

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post

For those of you considering a gasoline powered pump, consider getting it converted to propane. You can carry a lot of propane that will never go bad and it will start after sitting for years. I've been trying to convince the Lehr outboard folks to make a Propane fueled pump.
What if I took my 2.5 hp Lehr outboard, strapped it to my galley counter, aimed the prop out of the compainionway and let it rip?

That's idioic of course, but a 2.5 or 5hp propane powered pump is a good idea.
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2016, 10:48   #93

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
Good, pragmatic advice. Given all the many variables likely in play, doing all the calculations only goes so far. The reality is to have as much equipment onboard that you can afford, fit, stow, and reasonably utilize. The end goal is not to calculate exactly how much pump capacity you need to overcome a flooding incident, but rather to have as much capacity as is practicable to buy you some time to find the leak.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2016, 11:11   #94

Boat: wanting a cat

Two countries separated by a common language.

meatservo
meatservo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2016, 11:15   #95

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
By the way, who is "Bob", and why would I want him as an Uncle, is he rich or something?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob's_your_uncle

Quote:
Oh and I don't understand the worry about storing a gasoline engine in the boat either, just ensure there is NO gasoline in it, drain the carburetor.

Yes -- I guess that could work if you're sure you've gotten all the fuel out. I'm not sure just running it dry will do it, but if you have a way of doing it for a particular case . . .
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2016, 11:32   #96

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Wiltec 2200 "trash water pump"

A massive piece of gear weighing something like 90 pounds, and with a 2.2kW motor. Amazingly inexpensive.

Roll-up 3" cloth fire hose

Quick-release fire hose type fittings.

The roll-up hose is a snap to store and deploy -- just the tool for the job. Throw it out the companionway and tie the end of it to a stanchion and Bob's your uncle.

The pump is harder to store and deploy due to its massiveness, which I did not expect when I ordered it. I was amazed to receive the wooden shipping crate on a skid in Cowes last year. But on my boat it's reasonably ok -- it fits in one part of the bilge. Note to self: Don't forget to arrange some kind of tie-down to keep it from becoming a killer missile in case of a roll-over.
You don't mess around! But then you've got a big boat and seem to enjoy sailing your rather spirited (shall we say) home waters. I'll check out the Wiltec pump thanks. 90 lbs. may be a bit too cumbersome for me but the idea of a high capacity trash pump (elec. or gas), roll-up hose, and quick release fittings is certainly well taken.

Now just 'cause you've got the big dog pump doesn't mean you get to try for rollovers. Getting knocked down in the English Channel seemed quite enough!
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2016, 11:45   #97

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Had some bad experiences lately draining the tank & carb on my outboard prior to storage. According to my local yard guys, it makes the ethanol issue worse since it leaves a residue behind which gummies up the carbs even faster. YMMV, of course.

I'm now a believer in the ethanol-free canned gas you mentioned earlier. At about $8/liter it only makes sense if you run the regular gas out first and then run the engine with the canned stuff for storage. That way the good gas is sitting in the lines, etc. Started doing it this way for my gas generators, chainsaw, log splitter, all small engines (2 or 4-cycle) which get used infrequently.

For in-hull boat storage of a gas trash pump, maybe the answer is to run the canned gas through the engine and then completely out. Still need to deal with residual fumes, and also running every so often. But if a flooding incident prevents your genset or engine/inverter from starting then a gas-fired trash pump may be the only realistic answer.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2016, 11:57   #98

Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Elliott View Post
This is an interesting emergency bilge pump. It attaches to the prop shaft -- the engine needs to run.
Fast Flow Pumps - Bilge Pump
I was keen on this pump - the biggest drawback is that the transmission has to be engaged and the prop shaft turning in order for the pump to work. That means you are driving the boat while pumping. If the flooding is occurring due to you hitting a submerged object while underway, the likely location of the breach is forward. That means you are forcing water thru the breach at a much higher pressure - resulting in much faster flooding. If one has to go overboard to search for, and hopefully plug, the leak - this is impossible if you are going 5kts.

Other than that the pump is brilliant.
Old 16-12-2016, 12:24   #99

Boat: Tartan 37

Who has room for a gas trash pump on a boat under mid 40's? I would be scared to death about storing and gas motor below. Couple of times I thought I ran the gas out of my outboard. Then put it in the back of the car, only to smell lots gas.

Question a little off topic. Does anyone carry crash mats or pads. The one I made and carry is a 4x4' triangle with low stretch lines tied to it. I also use it as a riding sail for over 25kts. It's made out of very heavy red herculite material.
puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2016, 13:13   #100

Boat: Nauticat 32

If the leak is big enough, no water pump is sufficient. Use a small air pump instead. A small manual one could be enough. I mean, get a big airtight bag and fill it with air, inside the boat. The boat will not sink. Few soft dinghies would do.
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2016, 13:24   #101

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juho View Post
If the leak is big enough, no water pump is sufficient. Use a small air pump instead. A small manual one could be enough. I mean, get a big airtight bag and fill it with air, inside the boat. The boat will not sink. Few soft dinghies would do.
Were would you store this on a Nauticat 32 foot boat?

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2016, 13:49   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Were would you store this on a Nauticat 32 foot boat?

Pete
Our dinghy often follows the boat, so I'd call it in and let some air out to make it slim enough to get inside. Maybe I'll buy some beach toys and weather balloons for company. They don't take much space. Actually I might leave the primary dinghy out - just in case.
Old 16-12-2016, 14:14   #103

Cars have air bags, why not boats?
Old 16-12-2016, 14:17   #104

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

[QUOTE=a64pilot;2281155]By the way, who is "Bob", and why would I want him as an Uncle, is he rich or something?

The saying "and bobs your uncle" was part of the reason for using the name Uncle Bob, my name is Robert, known as Bob but the major influence was that all my nieces and nephews have always called me Uncle Bob.
And so it came to pass!
Is he rich or something?...oh how I wish.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2016, 14:21   #105

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

[QUOTE=Uncle Bob;2281360]
Quote:

The saying "and bobs your uncle" was part of the reason for using the name Uncle Bob, my name is Robert, known as Bob but the major influence was that all my nieces and nephews have always called me Uncle Bob.
And so it came to pass!
Is he rich or something?...oh how I wish. [emoji3]
And Bobs your uncle!

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bilge, bilge pump