Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2017, 19:00   #1

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'
Marinetex or JB Weld?

I repaired one of my stainless water tank, that had a small leak at the bottom of the end panel, in the weld, with MarineTex about 10 years ago. It started leaking again, and when I opened the inspection port, I saw that the MarineTex came loose. I am going to repair it again, and was wondering if there is any difference between Marinetex Gray, and JB Weld as far as bonding to clean stainless. Don't need to debate that neither is approved for potable water tanks.
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 20:02   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Marinetex or JB Weld?

I think they are pretty similar. If it lasted ten years why not go with Marinetex again?
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 04:14   #3

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'

I have JB Weld, I don't have any Marine Tex.
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 04:48   #4

Couldn't hurt to try JB Weld, then. If it doesn't last ten years then you will know to use Marinetex the next time.
denverd0n is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 07:08   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Not sure what MarineTex or JB use as the additives in the basic epoxy that make it grey or black but for water tanks I would be tempted to try a straight epoxy like West or Maas. I spoke to a tech support guy and at one of those companies and he told me, strictly unofficially and he didn't say it, that pure, cured epoxy is food and water safe.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 09:11   #6

I once fixed an A/C high pressure line with JB weld and its still holding as we speak ......Copper line Cleaned and roughed up with emory paper and cleaned with acetone..........then applied the JB weld Let Cure for 3 days then pressurized
the Line.......JB weld In my Book.....

cc
Traumagas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 09:18   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Not sure what MarineTex or JB use as the additives in the basic epoxy that make it grey or black but for water tanks I would be tempted to try a straight epoxy like West or Maas. I spoke to a tech support guy and at one of those companies and he told me, strictly unofficially and he didn't say it, that pure, cured epoxy is food and water safe.
I have used both JB weld and Marine Tex for 20 plus years. Both are excellent products. JB weld has recently (also Marine grade) come up with a putty stick much like that offered by Marine Tex. I like the putty sticks better than the 2part paste and hardener as is often too soft and difficult to place. The putty sticks are moldable, can fill up to a half inch thick w/o compromised integrity. The new JB weld marine also dries white. I have even used JB weld to fix a cracked oil pan on a vehicle in Mexico. After temporarily fixing it (removed, cleaned and lightly sanded both sides) it took 3 hours to skin and 24 hours to dry but the vehicle owner was able to drive the vehicle home that afternoon. 10 years later, he was still driving the vehicle with the "temporary" JB weld patch. I give both products the thumbs up. If you can go ten years w/o worried about leaks, use either with confidence. Also both products are impervious to chemicals and can be used below water line or even in it (suggest it might be difficult to do that with the paste but cleaning and drying services will certainly work (a little light sanding where possible also helps adherence).
bruce v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 09:22   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
I worked for a large machine shop that made stainless food grade products & every now & then there would be a screw up somewhere & we used JB when we couldn't weld it,doesn't mean you can't use something else,I can't say about anything else...don't really have enough experience with the other stuff....just get it good & dry & clean before use. ...just as a funny comment,when I was about 13 I had a yamaha 100 2 stroke motorcycle that had an air leak & went lean & burned a hole right through the piston.. well as a kid with no money I figured hey, why not? So I cleaned it up & used JB to fix the hole in the center of the Piston! I couldn't believe it worked! It ran long enough for something else to break & kill it! When I tossed it the piston still was OK! Hard to believe but that stuff is definitely interesting!
Kita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 10:47   #9
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Either one should work, but surface prep would be the key issue.

Clean the stainless with a real prepsolve product, the kind used to degrease and clean before painting. Or at least with alcohol and clean paper towels, multiple times to make sure it is bare clean and dry. Then score the metal with fairly coarse (80-150) grit wet-or-dry sandpaper, which leaves no grains or dust embedded. Then reclean to be sure.

Now apply the glue over the roughened clean surface, and it should last 30 years at least.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 11:03   #10

Boat: 41' yawl

Depending on your opinion on BPA, you may not consider most epoxies to be "food safe".

I think there are decades of studies showing BPA to be safe for humans, but some recent animal studies had suggested it was causing reproductive problems?

In any event JB weld in particular smells sketchy to me.
chris95040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 15:03   #11

Boat: Union cutter 33

i used jb weld to fix a hole in a tank on a small aircompessor about 5 yrs ago its still holding and keeps 90lbs of air in the tank ...great stuff
rosatte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 16:08   #12

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Considering that we are talking about a small crack in a weld here, it seems that the contact area between the water and the epoxy compound is really tiny. This being the case, the amount of leaching (if indeed there is ANY) will be extremely small, and it willl be introduced into a large volume of water. Not an issue IMO.

And I think either product will do the job if the surface prep is done properly.

Jim
Old 07-07-2017, 19:44   #13

Location: Horseshoe Cove Sausalito/Currently in La Paz,BCS,Mex.
Boat: Ron Holland 43 Semi-custom Sloop

Slightly drifting off topic, I will suggest, for those who are surfing the site to find info on epoxies for stainless steel repair, Devcon 1070 S/S Putty <http://www.devcon.com/prodfiles/pdfs/fam_tds_105.pdf> which I have used to repair one (two more when time allows) of five S/S tanks (three water,two diesel).This product is specificly for S/S and is certified for potable water application NSF Approved (ANSI/NSF61). Like most epoxies and adhesives proper preparation according to the supplied instructions need to be followed for a successful repair. It is a bit pricey about $70 USD for 454g of this two part product,although when considering the time and effort one will take to access,prep and apply the epoxy the cost seems minor in order to have better odds that the repair will be successful.
Disclaimer: I have no financial interest in Devcon® or ITW Polymers Adhesives North America,its parent company – Unfortunately
Old 07-07-2017, 21:49   #14

Boat: 75' steel sutton ketch,Warwick 70' aluminum sloop

Google belzona....... much better product for steel repair. Used on the offshore platforms and by utilities. You will be amazed ....
s/v michaela is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine