Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-11-2016, 14:51   #1

Marine Toilets

I'm getting my new to me Pearson 35 prepared for a splash in March and then onto the Exuma's. Since I'm on the hard I have no way of evaluating the head which is currently installed.
I'm making the assumption that it is old and unreliable. Since heads fail only immediately after use, reliability is top on my list, price is less important.
Could someone give me advice and among other things the availability and cost of spare parts.
pdenton
pdenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2016, 15:05   #2

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38
Re: Marine Toilets

Well if you tell us what head you have it would save us from guessing. I will guess Jabsco.

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2016, 15:30   #3

Good guess. but what I'm asking is what you consider the best head. My working assumption is that unless the best head happens to be a Jabsco, I will replace the current head. What I want would be manually operated. The question of an external macerator pump and the need for which is my next question.
pdenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2016, 16:04   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Marine Toilets

Manual, I like a fresh head, if you do not want to fresh water flush, maybe a PH II? But Peggy would be the expert on this.
Why have a macerator? I will I think as a way to empty my holding tank, which currently can only be emptied from the deck.
If you want to macerate your waste, I just got through installing a Sea Era this weekend and it is a simple machine that ought to be easy to repair.
Hopcar here is a vendor that you ought to get a price from for whatever you chose.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2016, 16:09   #5

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

Best manual head? I would say Lavac. If you are not in the States they wre the most reliable manual heads I have used. Carry one spare seat seal and your good for years. As for macerators I will let Peg chime in as my experience with them has been nothing but troublesome.

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2016, 16:25   #6

Boat: a sailing boat

We have an RM. It is OK. I fix it sometimes, maybe once every five years or so. We are on the second pump in 15 years of having the boat. It is easier and cheaper to buy a whole spare pump assembly rather than a spares kit. It is also way faster to swap the whole pump than open it and look for the part that failed.

I installed a Jabsco in another boat last year and found it faulty already this year. I think Jabsco sells cheap Chinese c--p (self-edit) these days. Had their bilge float that fell apart while mounting new.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2016, 16:39   #7

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

I'd say to go with a Raritan PH II, as they've been pretty good units for a few decades now. But it also couldn't hurt to do a study via Practical Sailor, looking back at their ratings over a span of time. Ditto on any other contenders. Though PH II's are pretty common, as are their spares. Which can be a handy trait as well.

As to installing a macerator pump with a manual head, do they not get installed in between the head & the tank? Not in between the tank & the pump out hose? So that everything going into the tank is already chopped up, & thus less likely to clog up the plumbing anywhere else, further downstream.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2016, 16:49   #8

Boat: Rafiki 37

For a couple, the best head is a composter (desiccator). Simplest, safest, and on a 35-foot boat you’ll recover a lot of useful storage space when you get rid of the holding tank and all the plumbing.
Old 21-11-2016, 17:16   #9

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'

We've got a phII and it's been dead reliable going on 7 years.

I've been considering a composter for a while, but have no reason to change yet.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2016, 17:20   #10

Boat: Catalina 320

"As to installing a macerator pump with a manual head, do they not get installed in between the head & the tank? Not in between the tank & the pump out hose? So that everything going into the tank is already chopped up, & thus less likely to clog up the plumbing anywhere else, further downstream."
Nope, they pump from the tank to the thru-hull in most cases, the deck pumpout goes straight to the tank and it's un-macerated contents. Truthfully after passing thru the toilet pump, joker valve, and sloshing around in the tank, toilet paper wads and corn kernals are the biggest solids to hit a macerator pump.
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2016, 17:21   #11
tms

Boat: 40' Jeanneau Sun Odyssey

I am considering a Nature's Head composting toilet. No smell. No thru-hulls. No pump outs.

Convert your black water tank to another clean water tank.

They are a bit expensive though around $950.
tms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2016, 18:07   #12
Marine Service Provider

Depending on the age of your toilet, it may or may not be Jabsco. If you'd like to post a photo of the PUMP, not the bowl...all bowls look alike--I can ID it for you. However, the average lifespan of most compact toilets is 7-9 years (a lot shorter for Jabsco built in the last 10-15 years), unless the seller replaced it, you'll need a new one no matter what it is.

The Raritan PHII has been the top rated manual toilet in its class for about 30 years...keep it well lubricated, put a rebuild kit in it every 5-6 years and it'll easily give you 20 years of reliable service. Raritan recently discontinued the PHII as a model name but continues to use the same pump on its new PH SuperFlush Raritan PH SuperFlush which is available as either a compact or full size manual toilet. Cost is very reasonable and spare parts (which you'll rarely need) are readily available.

As for any macerator pump...the only place for one of those is in the TANK discharge line...to dump it at sea. Which brings to mind...you may also need a new holding tank. Ronco Plastics(no relation to the VegoMatic Ronco) is your best source for a tank.Ronco Plastics Marine Catalog They make TOP quality thick-walled water and waste tanks for a very reasonable price and have more than 400 shapes and sizes, over 100 of which are non-rectangular, and they install fittings in the sizes and locations specified by the customer when they make the tank.

And then there are hoses...

If you'd like to discuss all this one-on-on, you're welcome to send me an email...I'll be glad to help you sort out what's best for your boat and your needs.

Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein
http://www.amazon.com/New-Get-Rid-Bo...dp/1892399784/
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2016, 19:13   #13

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.

Even here in the boonies that is Australia, there is nothing you can't buy for every model of Jabsco every made. All Jabscos parts are available at chandlers everywhere.
If yours is a Jabsco get an overhaul kit and forget it for ten years
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2016, 19:21   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

If price is not an issue, look at the Groco Model K. It's a throw back to the era when marine toilets were made of bronze. The Raritan PHII is probably the best value in a manual toilet.

A macerated pump, or better still, a diaphragm pump is used to empty the holding tank overboard. If you don't ever plan to empty the tank overboard, you don't need one.
The toilet will break up the "stuff" pretty well as it passes through.

The first thing to do is buy Peggie's book. Then ask me to quote you on the toilet.
Old 21-11-2016, 21:02   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Raritan PHII, very reliable and all parts available from Raritan.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine, oil