Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-09-2018, 21:34   #16

Re: Marine sanitation: best systems and practices

My installation matches HopCar's with one significant exception. The Elegance does a great job macerating the waste so I don' think there's any need to macerate it again exiting the tank. I use a diaphragm waste pump (the Sealand, Whale, and Johnson are examples) - much quieter and won't be damaged if it's left on too long such that it pumps some air.

Just as important as the hardware is to use a good treatment chemical to keep the tank from building up sludge and smell. NoFlex Digester is great.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2018, 07:16   #17
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
It isn't obvious if you're unfamiliar with the details of the Upper Mississippi river system, but a portion of it is included in the map of the Minnesota and St. Croix rivers. The FR entry is from the early 1970s and not available online. I would have to go find a library that still has old issues of the FR on microfilm to find out for sure
:https://www.epa.gov/vessels-marinas-...-ndzs-state#mn
It's really not a very clear map. That's the Mississippi extending west from the lower confluence and then north from the upper one; it continues upstate, of course, but it isn't possible to navigate upstream without portaging the dams. There are a couple of houseboat and liveaboard marinas in that reach, and the NDZ was perhaps conceived as a way to harass them. The Minnesota River through there has virtually no recreational traffic on it of any kind, and certainly no liveaboards -- there isn't a single marina, and the one time I was on it I had the river to myself for the day save for one fishing boat and some commercial barge traffic.
The 1977 FR--which, btw, predates the 1978 legislation that created US marine sanitation laws--does seem to be included in the EPA list. It never would have occurred to me that it's part of the MS River. And from what you say, it's so remote that along with the lack of any pumpout facilities, any enforcement is unlikely.

Even after 30 years, I continue to learn...Thanks!

An aside to HopCar...I agree that it's unnecessary to macerate waste from a holding tank, whether the toilet does it or not 'cuz solid waste is 75% water, even a manual toilet breaks it up, and so it dissolves in water very quickly and so does quick-dissolve TP. The biggest reason most people opt for macerator pumps: they're much less expensive than diapragm pumps. That is, until you factor in their average lifespan compared to that of diaphragm pumps.

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2018, 09:54   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

[QUOTE=peghall;2720757

An aside to HopCar...I agree that it's unnecessary to macerate waste from a holding tank, whether the toilet does it or not 'cuz solid waste is 75% water, even a manual toilet breaks it up, and so it dissolves in water very quickly and so does quick-dissolve TP. The biggest reason most people opt for macerator pumps: they're much less expensive than diapragm pumps. That is, until you factor in their average lifespan compared to that of diaphragm pumps.

--Peggie[/QUOTE]

No argument from me. A good diaphragm Pump would be fine. They are easy to repair as well.
Old 18-10-2018, 07:55   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1977 Cuttyhunk 59 Ketch, "Diva" in Trinidad
Send a message via Yahoo to Geoff S.

I too have Peggy's book, and nominate her for Head Mistress.

I'm about to take her and many others' advice, and plunk down the coin for a pair of Raritan Marine Elegances. The Smart Controller appears to be beneficial enough to make one wonder why it's sold a la carte.

A trivial question, perhaps, but what's the story with the "straight back" vs. "angled back" models? Is angled preferable, unless one doesn't have the room behind the head?

Thanks, Peggy et al, for giving us (ahem) the straight poop on the subject!

Cheers,
Geoff
Old 18-10-2018, 08:16   #20
Marine Service Provider

A trivial question, perhaps, but what's the story with the "straight back" vs. "angled back" models? Is angled preferable, unless one doesn't have the room behind the head?

Whether to buy a straight back or angled depends on whether the toilet will sit fore-aft against a bulkhead (straight wall), or port-starboard against the hull (sloping wall).

The 4 flush option "Smart Flush" panel is sold a la carte because it's not limited for use on just the Marine Elegance...it can be used with most macerating toilets, whether Raritan or not, that are designed to use pressurized fresh water. Raritan also offers a 3 option flush panel--a rockr switch that allows you to bring water into the bowl ahead of flush, dry flush or simultaneous flush water in, bowl contents out. Neither can work with sea water toilets, though.

--Peggie
Old 18-10-2018, 09:06   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks for the clarifications, Peggie. My heads do both sit athwartship, but they each have a vertical panel behind them (in the fore it's a cabinet, in the aft it's a bulkhead that hides the holding tank), so sounds like the straight-backers are what I'd want.

So...you're saying the Smart Panel would not apply to/work with a 221HR set to Raw Water intake? If so, good for me to know now!

Thanks,
Geoff
Old 18-10-2018, 10:14   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

And one more pesky question, if I may, regarding the Raritan. The specs refer to a "built-in shredder", and a "vortex-vac anti-clog system". This is not the same thing as a macerator, is it? If not, would you recommend getting the additional macerator? And if so, would I want the macerator with "waste valve assembly"?

Okay, I guess that was actually three more pesky questions...
Old 18-10-2018, 11:16   #23
Marine Service Provider

The "built-in shredder" is an extra powerful macerator that can chew up any toilet paper--but NOT wet wipes!...and the "vortex-vac anti-clog system" is an extra powerful pump. You'll find the specs for 'em in the owner's manual Raritan Marine Elegance Owners Manual

--Peggie
Old 21-10-2018, 09:24   #24

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 41

Quote:
So...you're saying the Smart Panel would not apply to/work with a 221HR set to Raw Water intake? If so, good for me to know now!
Geoff,
To the best of my knowledge the Raritan Smart Toilet Control works on Elegance Fresh, Seawater, and Sea/Fresh models. Download the respective manual.

Also, Raritan as a model called SeaEra QC, an updated version of the older SeaEra's. It shares parts (impeller, macerator blade) with the Elegance, and seems to perform similarly well. We had it in our old boat, and my wife liked it so much that she ordered it installed in the new boat as well. Key difference seems to be that the SeaEra model has a much smaller footprint, making it easier to fit into sailboats. Smart Toilet Controller also works on this model, all versions.

-Christian
kupo2kupo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 03:34   #25

Boat: 50ft Kelsall Tonga Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Here is what I do if I was installing a marine sanitation system today. I’d buy a Raritan Marine Elegance toilet set up to flush with either fresh or raw water.

I’d buy my holding tank from Ronco Plastics. I’d use Raritan Saniflex hose to connect them. I’d plumb the toilet directly to the tank with the hose running downhill all the way to the tank.

I’d use a Raritan macerator Pump with valve to empty the tank overboard through a Groco seacock and thru-hull. I’d wire the pump through a key switch which will allow you to not have to lock the seacock. Don’t leave the key in the switch.

I’d vent the tank with at least 3/4” hose connected to an unscreened regular through hull.

I already own Peggie’s book and I sold marine toilets for close to fifty years.
Is that you Parkes? If so a huge hello to you from Rod Lewis here in Adelaide Australia,
You may remember me as we purchased a few different things from you and shipped to Aus, I had a friend from Australia who was in your area couple of weeks ago and he dropped in to Hopkins Carter to give you our best, both Marine Elegance heads are going great had no issues at all, so you have retired, probably why you hadn't answered any emails for purchase's, any way best wishes on your retirement and stay safe.

Regards Rod Lewis
Adelaide Australia.
doublebubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 07:31   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Hi Rod, I remember you. Thanks for the order! Glad you like the toilets.
Yes I retired and sold the business.

If you need something shipped to you, try Alex@hopkins-carter.com
Tell him you were a customer of mine.

Tags
marine