Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-09-2018, 21:34   #16

Re: Marine sanitation: best systems and practices

My installation matches HopCar's with one significant exception. The Elegance does a great job macerating the waste so I don' think there's any need to macerate it again exiting the tank. I use a diaphragm waste pump (the Sealand, Whale, and Johnson are examples) - much quieter and won't be damaged if it's left on too long such that it pumps some air.

Just as important as the hardware is to use a good treatment chemical to keep the tank from building up sludge and smell. NoFlex Digester is great.

CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2018, 07:16   #17
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
It isn't obvious if you're unfamiliar with the details of the Upper Mississippi river system, but a portion of it is included in the map of the Minnesota and St. Croix rivers. The FR entry is from the early 1970s and not available online. I would have to go find a library that still has old issues of the FR on microfilm to find out for sure
:https://www.epa.gov/vessels-marinas-...-ndzs-state#mn
It's really not a very clear map. That's the Mississippi extending west from the lower confluence and then north from the upper one; it continues upstate, of course, but it isn't possible to navigate upstream without portaging the dams. There are a couple of houseboat and liveaboard marinas in that reach, and the NDZ was perhaps conceived as a way to harass them. The Minnesota River through there has virtually no recreational traffic on it of any kind, and certainly no liveaboards -- there isn't a single marina, and the one time I was on it I had the river to myself for the day save for one fishing boat and some commercial barge traffic.
The 1977 FR--which, btw, predates the 1978 legislation that created US marine sanitation laws--does seem to be included in the EPA list. It never would have occurred to me that it's part of the MS River. And from what you say, it's so remote that along with the lack of any pumpout facilities, any enforcement is unlikely.

Even after 30 years, I continue to learn...Thanks!

An aside to HopCar...I agree that it's unnecessary to macerate waste from a holding tank, whether the toilet does it or not 'cuz solid waste is 75% water, even a manual toilet breaks it up, and so it dissolves in water very quickly and so does quick-dissolve TP. The biggest reason most people opt for macerator pumps: they're much less expensive than diapragm pumps. That is, until you factor in their average lifespan compared to that of diaphragm pumps.

--Peggie

peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2018, 09:54   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

[QUOTE=peghall;2720757

An aside to HopCar...I agree that it's unnecessary to macerate waste from a holding tank, whether the toilet does it or not 'cuz solid waste is 75% water, even a manual toilet breaks it up, and so it dissolves in water very quickly and so does quick-dissolve TP. The biggest reason most people opt for macerator pumps: they're much less expensive than diapragm pumps. That is, until you factor in their average lifespan compared to that of diaphragm pumps.

--Peggie[/QUOTE]

No argument from me. A good diaphragm Pump would be fine. They are easy to repair as well.

Tags
marine