Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2018, 11:51   #1

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 31
Marine Hose to PVC for Head - Holding Tank

I'm sure it's out there somewhere but failed in my search.

I am contemplating the replacement of my head hoses with PVC to try and eliminate odor issues. I'm a bit behind the 8 ball as it is only a few months ago that I got the "Get Rid of Boat Odors" book with all the good input it offers.
Since my hoses are already impacted by years of 'neglect' they will have to be replaced. I'm sure it is 'easier' to replace the hoses in-kind but it seems reasonable that the use of PVC would be a permanent solution.
Please share your experience with this project or reasoning to avoid it. I understand that there still have to be flex points that will require service down the line.

thanks for your thoughts and have a Healthy, Happy 2018!
RLaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 12:09   #2

Boat: FP Salina 48, Hobie 33
Re: Marine Hose to PVC for Head - Holding Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLaird View Post

I am contemplating the replacement of my head hoses with PVC to try and eliminate odor issues. I'm a bit behind the 8 ball as it is only a few months ago that I got the "Get Rid of Boat Odors" book with all the good input it offers.
Since my hoses are already impacted by years of 'neglect' they will have to be replaced. I'm sure it is 'easier' to replace the hoses in-kind but it seems reasonable that the use of PVC would be a permanent solution.
Please share your experience with this project or reasoning to avoid it. I understand that there still have to be flex points that will require service down the line.

You can use flex PVC with good results instead of hose. You'll probably have to heat the hose with a heat gun to go over the barb, and I think I'd still use a small amount of sealant on the barb.
Tornadosailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 13:22   #3

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLaird View Post

This should give you all the information you need.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post585670
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 13:45   #4

Boat: Cape Dory, Cutter,30

Try this:

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/rarit...-1-2--14562177
moctrams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 14:00   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

This is an adapter that lets you connect 1-1/2 hose to 1-1/2 pvc pipe. It’s not as easy as it sounds without this adapter.
https://www.environmentalmarine.com/...er-341513.html

You’ll need to use short lengths of hose to make the connections to the toilet and tank.
Old 03-01-2018, 14:44   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Marine Hose to PVC for Head - Holding Tank

A downside to the Raritan hose that I used, is it’s cost. At almost $20 a foot with tax, If you need much, it gets expensive.
However I’d certainly use it for those short connections, it’s way more flexible than almost any other hose and hopefully is very resistant to permeation.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 15:33   #7
Marine Service Provider

Flex PVC is not the same as hard pvc..it’s what the cheapest single wall sanitation hose is...it’ll permeate in as little as a few months.

Hard pvc won’t permeate but is only recommded for straight runs, ‘cuz every bend that’s tighter than the pipe wants to bend requires cutting the pipe to insert a radius fitting.

Hoses are not the place to skimp on price if you only want to have to this job once. Raritan SaniFlex hose has proven to be permeation proof and is so flexible it can be bent like a hairpin without kinking. Defender has it for $9.99/ft.
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 15:52   #8

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

Installed pvc for all but connections to the head and pump out fitting...no issues. It works.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 17:54   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Trident 101 and 102 sanitation hose is less expensive than the Raritan and is also guaranteed for 5 years. It is not nearly as flexible as the Raritan hose.
Sanitation Archives - Trident

Be aware that Trident makes other sanitation hose that is not as good. Use the 101 (Black) or the 102 (White).
Old 04-01-2018, 08:13   #10

Boat: EndeavorCat MkII 30

Practical Sailor evaluated sanitation hoses last year;
https://www.practical-sailor.com/iss...t_10763-1.html

Some of the PVC hoses were good, others permeated pretty quickly.
rthompsona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 08:27   #11

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

From earlier conversations on the subject:

Subject: PVC pipe no smell or scale
PVC is permanent and NEVER smells.

And, yes, it will stand up to more abuse than you can willingly give it; ours survived our wreck with 3-5000 impacts at a 60° heel on the side with the PVC, in 8-10' surf over 3 days.

AND...

From Peggie Hall (Princess of poop, Head Mistress), you'll also never have scale (nor smell, for that matter) if you:

Flush continuously while inserting 'product of eating' as well as per square of TP (which will assure that any urine products are rinsed, leading to no scale buildup, even in salt water flushing),

Followed by however many (calculate) strokes it takes to move whatever is in the pipe past the anti-siphon valve (downhill all the way after that, which will bring the water level in the pipe to the outside water level, leaving a bit of air at the top),

Followed by the same number of dry strokes, which, if your anti-siphon valve works,

Leaves you with a dry stack.

I've had occasion to service my Y valve on occasion (new depth sounder under it, broken and replaced in another) and after 11 years of relatively constant use, have still found the pipe at the Y empty of scale, with only the slightest darkening of the bottom (no material).

Here's a pic of that installation; the white pipe in the lower left is what connects to the new Y:

Pictures: Flying Pig Refit 2011-2012/Fishfinder and SSB Redo

Here's the entire rebuild with the new Y valve some years later, with a better pic of the PVC end (photo ending in 91):

Pictures: Flying Pig Shakedown 2013-2014/Y-Valve and Hose

And a closeup of that PVC end:

(attachment)

First, determine where the smell's coming from. Even expensive hose will eventually pass odor, but if it's new, it shouldn't smell. Determine hose as the source by taking a warm damp rag and wrapping it around the suspect area. Wait a minute or two and then give it a sniff. If there is the slightest odor it's the hose, otherwise keep looking.

I can't do anything about vents to holding tanks; see the link to Peggie's controlling boat odors for that.

However, PVC will solve everything else. It's a bit fiddly (the reason they use hose rather than PVC is that it's labor intensive to plot out the twists and turns needed vs just running the hose, particularly in the construction phase where lots of stuff may not yet be in the way.

My apologies for all the other stuff going on but here's the link to my installation of the forward head's pipe (the one you see in the other pix)

Pictures: Flying Pig Early Refit + Projects/Early_Major_Alterations_Work/04-05

Dang. That just shows the pieces. More here:

Pictures: Flying Pig Early Refit + Projects/Early_Major_Alterations_Work/04-26&27-05
Attached Images

Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 08:35   #12

Boat: Catalina 320

The 5 year white Raritan hose is so easy to work with. I replaced the hose from the bottom of the tank to the T fitting yesterday. I needed to cut the old stiff black hose with a Roto tool but the Raritan hose flexed and went right on.
Drift Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 09:24   #13

Location: Back in Mexico cruising the northern part of Sea of Cortez
Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdoraKeeper View Post
Installed pvc for all but connections to the head and pump out fitting...no issues. It works.
+1

We've had great results - highly recommended
Smokeys Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 11:54   #14
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21

Helpful write ups. Thanks all round
Old 04-01-2018, 12:37   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

My boats have used ABS (black home plumbing pipe) for 25yrs. Very easy to work with, dirt cheap and 25yrs odor free.

Tags
head, holding tank, marine