Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 21-11-2011, 15:13   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: research vessel
Re: Marelon Seacock Replacement

On aluminum hulls aluminum nipples welded to the hull work fine and are legal under the CFR's for inspected passenger vessels. In this case, it is doing it right.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2011, 15:34   #17

I always seem to break the damn handles off the Marlon seacocks, I can't stand the damn things. I would just install bronze.

Old 21-11-2011, 15:41   #18
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Out of curiousity, are you folks breaking the handles off black nylon seacocks? Or genuine branded Marelon, glass-fiber-reinforced nylon?
Old 21-11-2011, 15:42   #19

Does someone know why there are two types of Forespar Marlon seacocks? My current boat has the OEM kind which has four screws in the top. Works great. No broken handles. Doesn't seem to swell up. My last boat had the other kind that swells and breaks handles. Totally different design. Why is this?
Attached Images

Old 21-11-2011, 16:22   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Modified Choate 40

The mushroom head (square valve) is the newer "93" series. They're a British Standard Pipe thread.

Unprepared boaters, end up as floatsum!.......
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2011, 16:30   #21
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Custom Van De Stadt 47 Samoa

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
On aluminum hulls aluminum nipples welded to the hull work fine and are legal under the CFR's for inspected passenger vessels. In this case, it is doing it right.
Perhaps, but it would make me nervous. The aluminum threads could be corroding under the stainless and you would not see it until the nipple snapped off and then you would be a bit screwed - simply have to pound a bung in to whatever was left of the pipe.

On Hawk we have aluminum pipe welded to the hull with flanges on top. We have marleon seacocks with flanges that thru-bolt to these aluminum flanges (with silicon gaskets). I could use stainless seacocks in the same way but the marleons have worked pretty well for me.

I have not had any handles break. I was told that if I used all 1.5" or bigger marleon seacocks (the smaller ones apparently are much weaker)and moved the handles at least every three months I would have no problem, and so far at least that's been true. 2 years ago I had some trouble with one (it was leaking) and while replacing it, I just pro-actively replaced all of them after 11 years of use. Probably unnecessary but made me feel good.
Old 21-11-2011, 16:48   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
The mushroom head (square valve) is the newer "93" series. They're a British Standard Pipe thread.
I don't know how new they are - our 1998 boat has them as originally installed by the builder. And they are very rugged. I don't have any experience with the "non-OEM" series, but it is difficult to imagine the "93" series having the problems described.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2011, 17:12   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
I don't know how new they are - our 1998 boat has them as originally installed by the builder. And they are very rugged. I don't have any experience with the "non-OEM" series, but it is difficult to imagine the "93" series having the problems described.

Mark
New to me, I guess. 40 years of working on boats, 15 years in the valve industry and never seen one until today. Never had any use for BSP. But now, I see is says they come in english sizes too. Sump'n new everyday.

Also the advert said "Forespar® now offers an optional locking plate factory installed on any “93”. EZ to get confused in the golden years.
http://www.forespar.com/pdf/techTips...-Series-93.pdf

Old 21-11-2011, 17:53   #24

Information on the valves is scarce but I guess they have NPT and BSP versions. They have a very wide base that goes flat against the hull so no thru-bolting is required to meet ISO or ABYC standards but Forespar says you can thru-bolt if you want by drilling through the wide shoulder. I have no doubt that I could jump up and down on these valve on my boat without it breaking. As you can see, the handle (at least the visible part) is a much stronger design than the other Forespar seacocks.

93 Series Integrated Valve
Old 21-11-2011, 18:01   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The big one on the right is the problem valve. Often the shaft breaks adjacent tot he handle mount.... it's not just the handle. The case and thru hull are very tough stuff. The shaft is tiny though. The valve on the left seems to have a shiny finish.... it may not be glass filled...?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2011, 18:22   #26

Nope, both kinds are made of Marelon according to Forespar's web site - and they look the same to me. I also have the pictured valve for the head overboard discharge. I use a wire tie instead of a lock. The Coast Guard was happy with the arrangement.

I just don't get why Forespar hides these valves given the hit their reputation takes for the problems with the other ones.
Attached Images

Old 21-11-2011, 23:58   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The 93's look like they can be taken apart.
The flanged ones, there is a non-removable pin in the seam so the body can not be unscrewed w/o damaging the joint.

Old 22-11-2011, 19:03   #28
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Out of curiousity, are you folks breaking the handles off black nylon seacocks? Or genuine branded Marelon, glass-fiber-reinforced nylon?

Genuine branded Marelon.. Have broken them myself and replaced many that others have broken..
Old 23-11-2011, 05:55   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Interesting. We will be hauling in the spring and I have several Marlon valves that are tight to stuck. The boat sat on the hard for over two years before we bought her and got her in the water.

Does anyone have a source of supply for the OEM 93 series stuff? It seems Defender lists only a very limited selection. Or, perhaps, they will special order? Does anyone have experience with this?

And why would they restrict this to OEM? Surely the installation can't be so difficult?
Old 23-11-2011, 06:09   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Forespar sold me a 93 series valve directly. They are very easy to install.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: