Join CruisersForum Today

Old 06-05-2013, 11:38   #46
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Marelon seacock failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHM View Post
The seacock I have to replace looks nothing like the one in the picture above. I must have a cheaper or older version.
Ah, well, then my advice isn't applicable. All of ours look like the picture. You can still work on it by shoving a potato or rubber stopper in the thruhull.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 14:55   #47

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

I bet you are not lubricating your Marelon valves twice a year as the manufacturer recommends.

http://www.forespar.com/marelonLube.shtml

That is what they told me when one of mine stuck and broke. It was being opened and closed almost weekly before it broke.

Old 06-05-2013, 15:17   #48
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sceptre 41

I replaced one in the water just last year. make sure to have the hose ready to come off. I use Permatex #2 sealant on the threads. Be sure that the threads are matched. -- See Maine sails excellent website for this explanation. I did just as Evans suggested with a wooden plug. The flow was scaring my daughter so I took a cloth towel and wrapped it around the plug then I tapped the plug into place lightly with a hammer. The flow almost completely stopped. replaced the fitting and it worked out fine.

I really like Evans' idea of using all 1.5" valves and bushing down to the appropriate size. That way you can have all one kind of valve and it will be easy to keep a spare

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 15:33   #49

Boat: Able 50

One more vote for poor maligned Marelon sea cocks. Mine are 10 years old and all still work fine.

I do agree with the idea of cleaning them once a year. Rinse off grit, wipe off weed, tiny dab of Marelube on the gasket and you're done. The whole thing only takes 15 minutes per sea cock or y valve.
Old 06-05-2013, 15:47   #50
cruiser

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
I replaced one in the water just last year. make sure to have the hose ready to come off. I use Permatex #2 sealant on the threads. ........
Why would you not use pipe dope on pipe and fittings ?
Old 06-05-2013, 17:06   #51
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sceptre 41

I don't have pipe dope on the boat. Permatex #2 seems to be a great sealant for most things so I always keep it on the boat. While not a benefit in this case it acts like loctite and creates a barrier between non compatible metals. The product never hardens.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 21:24   #52
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Colemj, I'm old and unimproved. 15 years is new to me.
Here is a link to a bad picture of the old unimproved Marlon Seacock that Forespar still sells: Boat Marine Plumbing Flange Mounting Seacock Thru Hull
Old 07-05-2013, 01:35   #53

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post

Marlelon is made with nylon as the primary material. Nylon will over time absorb water and will swell just a little. Its a small rate, but it happens. The swelling will make the ball harder to turn, and will torque the stemto the point where it will snap.
Bingo....exactly...not marine growth. At least not to the point that the swelling from water absorption does. Here is a site that touches on it.
Effects of Moisture Absorption on Nylon 6 through Nylon12 vs Power-Core
http://intechpower.wordpress.com/200...on-polyamides/
The issue of RC handles breaking have gone on for years. It's a wonder people still buy them.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 15:35   #54

Boat: On the hard for now - 2 dinghies

Sailvayu - Can you put a written description to that picture?

It would add substance to the picture
Old 15-05-2013, 23:58   #55

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430

I got confused by this thread: let me explain: I need to replace the seacocks and thruhulls on my Beneteau Oceanis and my impression was that the Marelon ones would be the absolutely best for the job. Even better than bronze (for me at least) as I would prefer to forget about electrolysis (and grounding/isolation) and the Marelon would seem to offer just that.

Here is a link to the Forespar site regarding Marelon: About Marelon Marine Boat Plumbing

I do realize that Forespar needs to make money just like any other business and thus they would not like to highlight any issues with Marelon.
But the bad things said here about Marelon, are they just opinions (they are like ***, everyone has one, etc etc.) or should I really stay away from Marelon? If I decide to chooce Marelon will I regret it (not going for the bronze) or are the differences so small at the end of the day that they are insignificant?
Old 16-05-2013, 04:45   #56
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
I don't have pipe dope on the boat. Permatex #2 seems to be a great sealant for most things so I always keep it on the boat. While not a benefit in this case it acts like loctite and creates a barrier between non compatible metals. The product never hardens.
Wouldn't you want to not create a barrier between metals so they would all be bonded? I don't keep pipe dope on my boat either, but when I need to rearrange the seawater plumbing, I take it with me to the boat.
Old 16-05-2013, 05:21   #57
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I got confused by this thread: let me explain: I need to replace the seacocks and thruhulls on my Beneteau Oceanis and my impression was that the Marelon ones would be the absolutely best for the job. Even better than bronze (for me at least) as I would prefer to forget about electrolysis (and grounding/isolation) and the Marelon would seem to offer just that
Use Bronze, proper seacocks if you can , or bronze through hulls with backing pads and bronze ball valves. DONT bond ( on GRP) , Setup will outlive you

Dave
Old 16-05-2013, 05:40   #58
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Use Bronze, proper seacocks if you can , or bronze through hulls with backing pads and bronze ball valves. DONT bond ( on GRP) , Setup will outlive you

Dave
You are recommending not bonding underwater metals? The usual recommendation is to bond them. On my boat they are bonded.
Old 16-05-2013, 05:46   #59
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
You are recommending not bonding underwater metals? The usual recommendation is to bond them. On my boat they are bonded.
This is somewhat of a holy war. Im of view, backed by people like Calder that on a GRP boat nothing is gained by bonding and more (unintended) trouble has been caused by doing so.

You can decide yourself. I have never bonded any bronze system on GRP boats. Bonding systems can be a conduit for impressed currents to do even more damage.

But as I said its a jihad issue!.

dave
Old 16-05-2013, 06:35   #60
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
This is somewhat of a holy war. Im of view, backed by people like Calder that on a GRP boat nothing is gained by bonding and more (unintended) trouble has been caused by doing so.

You can decide yourself. I have never bonded any bronze system on GRP boats. Bonding systems can be a conduit for impressed currents to do even more damage.

But as I said its a jihad issue!.

dave
I think bonding might have to go on the same list as guns, anchors, crimping vs solder and how many hulls. Seems like for every expert for it you can find another expert that's against it.

Even with a background in EE I don't see a clear answer but after long consideration and looking at the bronze thru-hulls on my boat that were bonded and deteriorated I'm going to go without.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: