Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-05-2019, 08:47   #1

Marco variable speed water pumps....opinions?

Anyone using Marco brand variable speed water pumps?

https://youtu.be/o5snaIuu-Ww

Prior boat had an expansion tank, didn't like it.
'New to us' boat has a variable speed Jabsco - that has the problem where the motor keeps running at a very slow pace (common problem with the electric part).

Can't seem to find much info from users....thanks.
two-rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2019, 08:57   #2

Boat: Endeavour 51
Re: Marco variable speed water pumps....opinions?

I will be following this thread with interest. I also have a nearly new variable speed jabsco that often runs at a slow rate. Would love to find a better solution.
Kalimniosjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2019, 09:20   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Those are Italian made gear pumps. Reverso sells them as oil change pumps without the variable speed electronics. I think the basic pump is pretty good but I have no experience with the variable speed version.

Variable speed pumps seem to be hard to do. Jabsco is on their second or third version. ShurFlo gave up on it and went to a bypass system to eliminate the accumulator tank.

Gear Pump 302 - Medium Duty
Old 16-05-2019, 11:33   #4

Decided to try it, and ordered a UP2/E.... just delivered today.

Very compact, tank testing seems to work great. Might get another I like it so much (so far). Run them in parallel for redundancy and also have the ability to drain the water tanks 2x the speed.

The two led's (one blue and one multi colored) will tell you a multitude of things about the pump - solid colors, flashing, etc.... Very cool stuff.
Old 16-05-2019, 11:37   #5
txg

Boat: Dufour 35

We use these since 2015 (liveaboard most of the time) and are on our second pump currently. They are very good as long as the seal between pump and motor is working. If you change seal and bearings it as soon as the pump starts sounding different (that means the bearings are rusting) it will probably last longer than our first one did...
Old 16-05-2019, 11:51   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by txg View Post
They are very good as long as the seal between pump and motor is working. ...
That was my concern with the design. I may lower the pressure once installed and tested - don't need or want blasting high pressure water - as it just seems to make more of a mess with splashing (not using it as a wash down pump).
Old 17-05-2019, 01:35   #7

Boat: Island Packet 40

On my old boat I gave up on pressurized water systems and just put a pump and switch in for each outlet.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2019, 17:04   #8

Boat: Jarkan King 40 12m

I have 2 Marco UP3e pressure pumps, Port & Stbd water systems, in use for about 9 months, no problems. Marco give a 2 year replacement warranty. They are very quiet, often cannot hear them running. I have an acculumulater than on both as the were in the system previously, and seem to work well toghther, even though not necessary.
Bruce K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2020, 12:46   #9

Boat: Nordic trawler 50'

I have the Marco UP6/E 7GPM pump, $600.00+. The first one worked great for about 16 months and then quit. I found out for the warranty it needed to be returned to the factory in Europe for inspection.
It was summertime and I needed a pump so believing it was a fluke I bought another exact pump and installed it.
Marco did send me a new replacement so I had a spare. Good thing I had the spare because the second one failed after about 14 months. So now I'm on the third pump in less than three years. I should have stayed with Sureflow because it was trouble-free for 10 years.
Don G is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arc, pump, water