Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2017, 07:10   #1

Boat: Hunter 28.5 1985
Manual Waste Pump and Y-Valve rebuild/replacement

Another new project building up for me with this Hunter 28.5
Looking for recommendations and answers... thanks
I have a rather bad looking manual waste pump in my cockpit locker.
It's a RULE brand and I cannot find any rebuild/replacement parts online, yet.
Locally I can buy a Whale Gusher for around $65... and I know they make replacement parts for those should I need any down the line.

Is a manual waste pump a normal thing to find on a boat with a flushing head and holding tank?

Also... the 3 y.o. survey states it was recommended to replace the Y-Valve and the surveyor could not find the handle for it either.... I haven't seen one yet myself.

I've seen 5 different brands... at least... any personal favorites? Why?
Wow! The first time I've done potty talk here and not felt like I was going to hear from a Moderator... except with cool advice!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0501171855.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	408.3 KB
ID:	146762   Click image for larger version

Name:	Manual Head Pump.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	162.7 KB
ID:	146763  

Click image for larger version

Name:	0501171857.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	401.4 KB
ID:	146764  
Old 02-05-2017, 07:20   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Manual Waste Pump and Y-Valve rebuild/replacement

Nothing at all wrong with a manual pump, especially if its not often used.
I installed a macerator though, and it allows use of a 1" hose, just open a valve and flip a switch.
The macerator I used also comes with a built in valve for when you need to remove the pump for repair, that way very little sewage is spilled upon pump removal.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 07:48   #3

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Manual pump is good. Use the Y-valve whose configuration makes hookup easy.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 12:02   #4

Thanks A64 and Terra!

Can I replace the RULE manual pump with a Whale Gusher... long as the hose sizes match up (not sure yet if I will install new hosing for the waste system... no need to yet that I can see... just like new purty things I guess )

I can't find a manual pump specified for waste so I'm thinking they're all the same?

Also... I will be replacing the Y-valve if I can't find or fashion a solid working handle. Not going to stick vise-grips there as a half-assed workaround

The survey only states to clean up corrosion around the clamps, find the handle and 'prove' the valve. So if it works, no replacement. Also recommended are hoses changed to smooth type.

Not sure how hard it is to turn a Y-Valve.... thinking I might be able to 3D print one out of PLA that's strong enough to do the job? I can design my own custom handle then

After I get the O/B motor up and running again, I want to motor over to the pumpout and clean out the holding tank.
Figured it might be important to have a working Y-Valve, Manual Pump that isn't open totally to the air, hoses that aren't cracked/split... basically a system that is sealed as it should be.
Old 03-05-2017, 09:07   #5

Boat: J/42

If you look at the henderson web site, they do have some Mk V "whale" pumps specified for waste, but they all use the same Mk V rebuild kit. Don't know if there's a real difference?

I was impressed by the Bosworth "guzzler" when I threw a rebuild kit on it - the entire thing can be rebuilt with ONE tool. There is ONE kind of screw. You can even lose one or two of them and it will still work. (Turns out, it wasn't working because the PO installed it wrong...)

But now I have two different kinds of pumps on board, which take three different rebuild kits. This seems to be headed in the wrong direction...

Oh, I also have an electric macerator on the holding tank - came with the boat, but did require a rebuild. I think you have to exercise those things periodically and run clean water through them when you're done. There's something to be said for liquifying all that material before pumping it... especially if you might be lingering in the vicinity.
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 09:19   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddster8 View Post
If you look at the henderson web site, they do have some Mk V "whale" pumps specified for waste, but they all use the same Mk V rebuild kit.... There's something to be said for liquifying all that material before pumping it... especially if you might be lingering in the vicinity.
Thanks for all that! I'll take a look at the Henderson web site.
I'm all for having similar spec'd items onboard instead of a hodgepodge of things.

That last thing won't be an issue for me though... I don't usually wear my lingerie in the vicinity of a pump out... really distracts the workers...
Old 03-05-2017, 10:26   #7

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

I took out a manual pump and replaced it with an expensive electric pump. Two expensive electric pumps later, I reinstalled a new Whale gusher pump and could not be more happy. There is nothing like needing to pump your holding tank and not being able to and not being around any pump out facilities.

It takes about 1 minute to dump my 20 gallon holding tank.

Also, be real sure you have a new y-valve. The poop police nail lots of boats that have leaky y-valves. Its one of the first things they look for when they board your boat.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 11:46   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
I took out a manual pump and replaced it with an expensive electric pump. Two expensive electric pumps later, I reinstalled a new Whale gusher pump and could not be more happy. There is nothing like needing to pump your holding tank and not being able to and not being around any pump out facilities.

It takes about 1 minute to dump my 20 gallon holding tank.

Also, be real sure you have a new y-valve. The poop police nail lots of boats that have leaky y-valves. Its one of the first things they look for when they board your boat.
Thanks for that!
I don't want to go throughout the boat swapping out all the 'Old' for 'New' without good reason... yet, some things I just don't want to tempt fate with and would rather shell out some money to make 'Like New' again!
Old 03-05-2017, 11:50   #9

Boat: J/42

Yeah, but... the handle is removed to satisfy CG requirements. That's the way they want to see it.
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 12:35   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

I wouldn't use a Gusher, myself. The diaphragms go out from time to time. :shudder: I'd stick to manual if I were you. Or if it must be electric, then macerator. Macerating before dumping is good from several points of view.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 12:52   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I wouldn't use a Gusher, myself. The diaphragms go out from time to time. :shudder: I'd stick to manual if I were you. Or if it must be electric, then macerator. Macerating before dumping is good from several points of view.
You are referencing an electric Gusher?
I've seen manual Gushers too, I thought.

On this boat... definitely manual.

I figure if I remove the Y-Valve... give it a good going over... find it works fine... 3D Print a new handle for it... then replace it... as long as it's not turned to the 'overboard discharge' side and the handle is removed... I can find a replacement manual pump and not worry about whether the handle is removable or not.
It wouldn't even need to be secured because it can't pump anything out.
I'd just securely stash the Y-Valve handle somewhere away from the valve to make the USCG happy.
Also about the macerator... I like the idea of all the waste being of a consistency to allow easier pumping.
I don't see a macerator anywhere on this boat.
If I did plumb in a macerator... my mind tells me to do a more complicated setup so I can divert around the macerator should it ever fail.
But... that's what my mind is telling me... doesn't mean it's right! hahaha
Old 03-05-2017, 13:01   #12

LOL
Someone was looking for a person to 3D print them a new handle for the same Y-Valve, a year ago!

Nice that he put in pictures with measurements!
Gives me an example to work from.
Might make mine with a T-handle type grip and beef it up a tad!
https://www.3dhubs.com/talk/thread/j...-handle-needed
Old 03-05-2017, 14:19   #13

Boat: Tartan 37 #6

Just checking my old notes, I wrote, Peg Hall says for Y valves, use Whale not Jabsco. She knows !
steamgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 15:49   #14

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

I got rid of the Y valve and instead used two gate valves, one in each leg. Turn off one--turn on the other--BEFORE starting the pump.

Oh--and for electric pumps on your holding tanks--macerate in---macerate out.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 03:44   #15

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Another option that may or may not work for you...

Do you NEED an Y-valve? I mean, If you've never moved the one you have now, it could be you'll never need to.

I'm thinking if the head always pumps to the tank, and the overboard discharge always comes from the tank, you've got a much simpler system. Simple is good when you're dealing with tanks, hoses and fittings full of waste.

The only problem I see is that boarding officers have been trained to seek out Y-Valves and make sure they're locked. Maybe keep the old one, not hooked to anything but clearly labeled in big letters so it's clear it's set to "tank" and not "overboard." Should make them happy, and you'd never have to deal with maintaining it.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, rebuild