Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2015, 09:02   #1

Boat: Bristol 35
Manual Reverse Osmosis- is it worth it?

Before you say- search it, it's been discussed- I did but the first 10 threads had nothing to do with what I am asking, must have had one of the three words somewhere in the threads.
Anywoo- does anyone have experience with a manual R/O system? I would like to put one in the Bristol 35 as I work on it but I won't be spending the $4000 of a non manual. Questions:
1. Where do you have the manual one mounted?
2. How long does it take to make 30 gallons or other amount that you make?
3. How do you pump it- hand, foot?
4. what brand do you have and what are the pros and cons of it?
5. How long have you had it and how much trouble has it been?

Thanks in advance
biker6977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 09:17   #2

Boat: Outremer 50S
Re: Manual Reverse Osmosis- is it worth it?

I have experience with testing the manual/electric dual-operating units.

The largest I have seen is about 4l/1 gal/hr. They take 30 strokes/minute to make that amount. Would take an awful long time to make 30 gallons. Possibly useful to have as an emergency system (open up the debate), but unless you want to spend all day pumping for water I wouldn't want to use one for daily water making.

My only experience has been testing as a proof-of-concept for emergency use, have not tried as a daily ritual, so that's the basis of my opinion.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 10:49   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Personally I would recommend the pur line of power survivors they use 12 volt power to operate with an emergency manual mode mine produces 35 gpd the newer models produce 40 gpd
PUR PowerSurvivor 35E 12 Volt Watermaker Desalinator | eBay several with both power and manual
A member here recently sold one in working order for a grand
newhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 11:08   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

It is an enormously power intensive activity, that is it takes a lot of power and a human just can't generate that much power really. I think an average bicyclist produces about 60 watts, not top athletes, just average cyclists.
I'm going to get in trouble with this but I think that kind of power output will give you around 2 GPH of fresh water, but of course you have to use a considerable amount of that to backflush the membranes.
It's sort of the same kind of problem of filling a Scuba tank, it just takes an enormous amount of energy to do so, in theory you could do it by hand, but I think you would only do it once.
We had the manual pumps in the Military in our overwater survival kits, I've been taught how to use the thing, my take was you could get enough water to stay alive, but that was about it.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 12:27   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

I agree its better to spend that energy making the extra money for solar panels to run a powered unit
newhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 14:17   #6

Boat: Bristol 35

thanks, that was what I was thinking but wanted confirmation.
biker6977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 18:10   #7
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Not to sound like a smart a*#, Newhauls last advice is really the best advice. I know we all want to be as frugal as possible but sometimes you can chase your tail a bit trying to save a boat buck or two and still end up on the short end. The Katadyn power survivor is a good unit that can operate both by 12Volts or hand pumped. But think the word "survivor" and let it roll around for awhile. Even on a Bristol 35 this watermaker will be a bit anemic. Now that Katadyn and Spectra are one I hope my advice will be seen as unbiased, as I can sell you either one. The Katadyn is going to use more than twice the power to make the same gallon of water that the Spectra VT150 does. Adding more solar to keep up with the Katadyns output will require more solar and longer run times to keep up with the production of the VT150. Thinking peak hours for solar this reduces the effectiveness even further. Look at it this way comparing the two systems. If you wanted to make a limited amount of water say 20 gallons plus counting on solar to keep up, it would take the Katadyn about 13.5 hours to make that 20 gallons, whereas the VT150 could do the same thing in just under 3 hours. Again, think peak hours, there are not 13.5 peak hours for solar anywhere in the world, but there are 3 hours peak time most places. Also for 20 gallons of water the Katadyn is going to require about 55 amps from your battery bank where the VT 150 will use about 23 amps for the same amount of water in just 3 hours. Just for arguments sake lets say you do use 20 gallons every other day, which system is more likely to last longer, the one that runs for 3 hours every other day or the one running for over 13 hours? The Katadyn certainly has it's place in the boating world, but for cruising more comfortably the VT150 is going to serve you far better for the extra cost. Sure you can use spritz bottles, wash your dishes in salt rinse in fresh, take Dawn baths off the back of your boat and use a quart of fresh water to rinse off. But once the bite of the extra money wears off I promise you, from an ex-bottle spritzer guy, you'll be far happier and never look back.

www.HaldenMarineService.com
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 18:31   #8

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Manual system? I think the amount you sweat would be greater than the product water output.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 18:36   #9
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
Manual system? I think the amount you sweat would be greater than the product water output.

Hey, don't you know a guy that has a really beautiful used Spectra Cape Horn Extreme 330 for sale that would work great on a Bristol35?:whistl ing:
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 03:49   #10

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Lol I just happen to have one !

Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
osmosis, reverse osmosis