Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2011, 07:09   #16

Boat: Finnsailer 38
Re: Manual Pump for Holding Tank Pump Out at Sea

In my experience with several CG boardings and inspections they want to see a seacock in the closed position and locked or with the handle removed as proof that you are not in the pumping overboard position. They never looked at the pumps themselves, at least not that I can recall. I personally would want a seacock on that overboard discharge anyway, and I would set it up so when it is closed you can lock the handle.
Old 07-03-2011, 07:41   #17

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
Oops...when companies use the same model names it can be confusing.

Bosworth makes quality equipment. The main problem with this model is, its max hose barb is 1.25" ....the standard size tank discharge hose is 1.5", which would require adding a reducing adapter.
The link I provided was intended to be the general link to their products, it appears that it defaults to highlighting their smallest pump, then you select the model you want on the right to see specs for the various pumps.

http://www.thebosworthco.com/specpag...g-gh-0500d.pdf

Optional connections:

Option Code
Inlet Outlet
1-1/4” NPT Tapped 71 71
1-1/2” Smooth 80 80
1-1/2” NPT Threaded 82 82
2” Smooth 90 90

Optional valves:

Valves
Option Code
Flapper (Buna-N) 1
Duckbill (Buna-N) 6
Duckbill
— For dirty liquid and sewage.
Permits mounting in any

position.

cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 09:10   #18
Marine Service Provider

Here's what US Law (33 CFR 159.7) specifies as the acceptable means of "securing" a system... Note that the acceptable ways of securing a treatment device in "no discharge" waters are slightly different from what you have to do to secure a tank or toilet from "accidental" discharge. Also note that ALL valves, not just y-valves, have to be secured.

Most Coasties are willing to accept anything that indicates intent to comply...but you never know when you're gonna run into a local water cop who has a bad case of Barney Fife syndrome...so it's useful to know what federal law requires.

(b) When operating a vessel on a body of water where the discharge of treated or untreated sewage is prohibited by the Environmental Protection Agency under 40 CFR 140.3 or 140.4, the operator must secure each Type I or Type II device in a manner which prevents discharge of treated or untreated sewage. Acceptable methods of securing the device include—
(1) Closing the seacock and removing the handle;
(2) Padlocking the seacock in the closed position;
(3) Using a non-releasable wire-tie to hold the seacock in the closed position; or
(4) Locking the door to the space enclosing the toilets with a padlock or door handle key lock.

(c) When operating a vessel on a body of water where the discharge of untreated sewage is prohibited by the Environmental Protection Agency under 40 CFR 140.3, the operator must secure each Type III device in a manner which prevents discharge of sewage. Acceptable methods of securing the device include—
(1) Closing each valve leading to an overboard discharge and removing the handle;
(2) Padlocking each valve leading to an overboard discharge in the closed position; or
(3) Using a non-releasable wire-tie to hold each valve leading to an overboard discharge in the closed position.
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2014, 16:26   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Johnson View Post
I have the same set up, and recommend the head and this pump highly. It is a very well engineered, reliable pump.

Mark
I know it's two years later, but I have to chime in: the Henderson Mark V (now made by Whale, etc.) is not, IMHO, well-engineered. At least one valve is (if I recall correctly) held in place by sheet-metal screws that go through a rubber-encapsulated steel piece (which adds rigidity to the valve) and then into the plastic body of the pump. Not surprisingly, eventually a little bit of dampness reaches that steel piece, which corrodes and warps, after which the valve doesn't close very well. And of course, after a couple of replacements, the plastic into which the sheet-metal screws go...it's starting to get weak, too.

Furthermore, the screw-on cover isn't particularly beefy, and an enthusiastic pumper, working against, say, a closed through-hull fitting, can make stuff ooze out around the O-ring seal. (Ask me how I know...) I suspect that a strong one might make the cover blow off, and that could be REALLY ugly.

The "stems" to which the hose attaches are, as I recall, neither the right diameter for US hose, nor long enough to fit two hose-clamps on properly.

Also, the O-ring appears to be metric, which is OK, but hard to replace in the US. Of course, you can buy one for 10 times a reasonable cost from the manufacturer, but ...

Anyhow, after several years of screwing around with it, I threw mine away. I'd managed to make everything else in the head system pretty much smell-free, and that pile of junk just ticked me off.

--John
jfhspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2014, 20:41   #20

Boat: 32' Bob Baker/Joel White Cutter (One-off wood)

We have a Whale Gusher for this purpose. After about 20 years of seasonal use combine with a few long cruises, the body is pitting inside, but still gives service. I plan on replacing or rebuilding it soon.
marujo.sortudo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
holding tank