Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2017, 04:34   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Manual holding tank pump out pump - distance from tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzy View Post
Yep sorry meant to say ball valve.

Outlet is on the bottom of the tank, which does cause the issue of effluent sitting on the macerator when not in use.
In that case, then, I think the ball valve is an excellent idea, and a pretty trivial job to fit.

Just don't forget to open it when you pump out! Or you'll burn up the impeller in the macerator pump. Don't ask me how I know this . . .
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 04:46   #17

Boat: Moody 376

Quote:
Just don't forget to open it when you pump out!
Yep that is my worry. It is hard to access and not in the same place as the switch for the macerator and the outlet seacock, so I can bet "1 x new impeller kit" that I will forget!

So I might just forget about the ball valve and hope that it lasts a long time.
benzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 04:59   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzy View Post
Yep that is my worry. It is hard to access and not in the same place as the switch for the macerator and the outlet seacock, so I can bet "1 x new impeller kit" that I will forget!

So I might just forget about the ball valve and hope that it lasts a long time.
Always have spare impellers for every single pump on board, which uses them!

I think your pump will last a long time -- I'm still using my original one after 16 years, with only one replacement of the impeller housing and upgrading of the housing studs.

But the ball valve would be a decent thing to have to isolate the piping and prevent a leak. I would probably install it, myself, and hang a sign on the macerator pump switch to remind me to open it!
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 05:45   #19

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

Lavac uses a Henderson Mk 5 manual sanitation diaphram pump. They trust it. Because of that and because Pacific Seacraft originally installed one, I re-installed another to empty my holding tank. It has worked fine since 2004. It is mounted above the liquid level in the holding tank and discharges through a 1-1/2" seacock. Mine is the bulkhead mount.

Whale Marine - Products
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 09:24   #20

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
And then pump it out into the marina?
Come on! Pump it into the holding tank to rinse.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 09:46   #21

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I agree about replacing with the same pump.

The simplicity of a manual pump is appealing at first glance, but . . .

1. What happens when the big diaphragm rips? It doesn't really bear thinking, does it?

2. Are you ok lifting a sole plate to get to the pump, to fit the handle?

3. It's not all that big a job to replace some hoses, but even a couple of extra hours of your time -- is it worth it? Just to replace a reasonably reliable electric pump with a manual pump which will be no more reliable?

4. The manual pumps do not macerate. Maceration is a very good thing -- to prevent clogs in your piping, for one thing, and for the environment, for another.

I have exactly the same setup as you with the same electric Jabsco macerator pump. You can buy the impeller housing separately from the motor (the motor lasts basically forever in this kind of duty). It's not expensive, and changing it out is is 10 minute job. Then you'll be good for another 10 years of service. You'll decide yourself, of course, but that's what I would do.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 10:50   #22

Location: Back in Mexico cruising the northern part of Sea of Cortez
Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40

I second going to an electric diaphragm pump. Our boat came with a macerator pump on it which was original and I worried about burning it out if it ran dry when we pump overboard. I replaced it with an electric diaphragm pump which was rated to run dry for several minutes without damage. I also replaced the hoses, but kept the same general configuration (layout) so the installation was easier. We've had it a year with no issues at all. We do use Noflex into the tank as directed which really helps break up the solids.
Smokeys Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 13:06   #23

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

I have my custom-built (plywood, epoxy) holding tank installed above the waterline. I use a standard, flush-mount 1 1/2" through-hull fitting, inset into the bottom of the tank, with a slight slope for draining efficiency. Waste enters at the top of the tank. Also included in the top are two 1 1/2 inch ventilation elbows (Thank you Peggy Hall!) for aerobic bacteria (K.O., again, thanks Peggy). Also, a large inspection plate. At the bottom, just downstream from the tank exit, is a 1 1/2 inch bronze tee with hose barbs, allowing the deck pumpout hose to draw waste when the pumpout service makes its visits. Downstream from the tee is a large plastic ball valve ( also 1 1/2 inch with barbs) to allow overboard discharge, about three inches above the waterline. I am currently painting my head so the unit is removed for service (inspection, repainting, replacement of the sanitary hose (frighteningly expensive Shields Poly-X). I'll take more detailed photos when it's more attractively presentable inside. The Lavac toilet, using the Henderson pump sufficiently macerates the waste and toilet paper, which, so far, after twenty-some years of service, has never clogged. For many years I used a Whale 10, but trashed it when the salt water destroyed the epoxy finish inside the pump body. The Henderson also has the advantage of being more serviceable than the Whale.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2008-6-9.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	396.5 KB
ID:	155383   Click image for larger version

Name:	6-9-2008 8-47-13 AM_0001mod3.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	402.0 KB
ID:	155391  

Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags