Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2016, 13:24   #1

Boat: Cheoy Lee 32 Offshore, 1979 (Ray Richards)
Macerator pump-- really that bad?

Hello all-
I am considering re-doing my sewer system to include a macerator pump. I would replace the old (BIG) fiberglass tank with a new smaller one. I would hand pump into it and then , when offshore, eject it with the macerator pump thru a new thruhull.

Then I logged into Amazon to check out the pumps-- and the Reviewers told me to STAY AWAY from J-b-c-. They said the pumps are held together with brass connectors and they corrode, fall apart , and then ----- uuuccckkkk-- in the bilge!

Do you all concur—am I asking for trouble?? OR-- is there a brand out there that is built better than Ja-s-o?

Thanks a lot--

Rick--
Cheoy Lee 32 Offshore, 1979 (Ray Richards)----- "Folie"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForForum.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	158.0 KB
ID:	119480  
Folie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 13:36   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
Re: Macerator pump-- really that bad?

Macerators are quite problematic by design. There are stainless blades inside, and they tend to rust over time and gunk up.

The best solution in my opinion is a Sealand T-Pump. It is a bellows pump, and is much more reliable. We always put one of these on a boat we work on it the space is there, as it is a good bit larger.

The second best would be a whale gulper pump. A much better option to a macerating pump.

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 13:42   #3

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

The brass rods do rot, but are easily replaced with stainless all thread.

I finally ditched the whole system and went with an ElectroScan and never looked back.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 13:54   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I, too, have been disappointed with the Jabsco macerator pumps, though I've found that the bolts holding them together are stainless and not brass. Regardless, the stainless bolts do corrode with the exposure to the uric acid and the pumps tend to fail producing a mess. I have not had a problem with them jamming much. Usually I'm able to place a straight slot screw driver in the provided slot at the end of the center axle and turn the shaft to free a jam if it's clogged; however, my pump was once overwhelmed with dental floss!

I've had Lanacote (sp) recommended as a coating for the bolts. Maybe I would be wise to change all the bolts one at a time as a refit every year. I can't recall if there's easy access to the bolts for changing them out without a dismantling of the pump.
Old 24-02-2016, 09:22   #5

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Mount the macerator at the TOP of the tank. If (when) it fails, you can remove it from the system and repair or replace it without having the contents of the tank draining out around you while you're working.

They are pretty reliable, considering the kind of use they get. They come standard in most new boats. It's not like they're all that awful.
CaptTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 09:31   #6

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

my first Jabsco lasted 15 years before it needed to be taken apart and repaired. The repair lasted 5 years, then the pump was destroyed by SeaChem Toss-In "degrading" packets that didn't degrade.

Second Jabsco pump has been in two years, no problems.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 10:46   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.

I believe much of the problem comes with the position of the pump and it's lengthy exposure to uric acid solutions. If the pump can receive a fresh water rinse or if it is left dry while not in use this should increase it's longevity.
Old 24-02-2016, 10:59   #8

Boat: Bristol 45.5

I think they are great pumps for the right application . I designed and built my own electric heads using these pumps to empty the bowl and send it to the holding tank . They are powerful and much quieter then a normal electric head . Not sure if I would one one at the bottom of the holding tank for discharge . I will be making a video of the head set up soon and posting it on my channel.

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
ColdEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 11:15   #9

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by witzgall View Post
Macerators are quite problematic by design. There are stainless blades inside, and they tend to rust over time and gunk up.

The best solution in my opinion is a Sealand T-Pump. It is a bellows pump, and is much more reliable. We always put one of these on a boat we work on it the space is there, as it is a good bit larger.

The second best would be a whale gulper pump. A much better option to a macerating pump.

Chris
+1 I have bad experience with macerator pumps on 4 different boats. May the fleas of 1000 camels nest in the armpits of whoever puts them in new boats.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 11:27   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhoon View Post
I think they are great pumps for the right application ............
I agree that the design of the application makes a great difference. I use a manual pump to evacuate my head for transfer to the holding tank, but use my macerator as one option for emptying the holding tank.

This two-dimensional diagram does not show that the actual effluent plumbing from the tank is at the top of the tank, though drawing from the bottom; therefore, if the tank is only partially emptied, the solution remains in the pump body. Fresh water added at the deck pump out can be used to rinse the macerator pump to lessen corrosion.

I can see that it would be much easier to rinse and maintain the macerator pump between the head and the holding tank.

I should also add that the vented loop is no longer present or needed in my system where the through hull remains shut with the handle removed and the access cabinet locked for compliance with the US Clean Water Act.
Old 24-02-2016, 12:44   #11

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
I believe much of the problem comes with the position of the pump and it's lengthy exposure to uric acid solutions. If the pump can receive a fresh water rinse or if it is left dry while not in use this should increase it's longevity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Mount the macerator at the TOP of the tank. If (when) it fails, you can remove it from the system and repair or replace it without having the contents of the tank draining out around you while you're working...
A shutoff valve at the tank outlet can take care of this. After fresh water flush, close the valve. Now there is only rinse water to deal with
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 12:51   #12
Marine Service Provider

Answer to the question: Yes they are. Had several fall apart of the years. Now my holding tank and macerate pump is only there for looks and the US Coast Guard. The tank and pump are kept bone dry except when the pump gets a one second test run with fresh water every so often. So guess where the poop goes? Answer: The same place whale, turtle and fish poop goes. Get over it.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 13:17   #13

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

You guys have me worried. My pump shares the through hull with the direct discharge and is below the waterline so would always be filled with relatively clean seawater except during use. How do they hold up in this situation?
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 16:04   #14

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
I, too, have been disappointed with the Jabsco macerator pumps, though I've found that the bolts holding them together are stainless and not brass.
They must have changed over recently.
I can't help but wonder if they waited until they'd sold all their replacement brass rods???

In the past they were most definitely brass. I've repaired a couple of them and subbed them with ss.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote