Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2008, 16:34   #1

Boat: Golden Gate 30, Westerly 23
Macerator pump for galley sink?

My Burn's-designed Golden Gate 30 has about 3-1/2-inches clearance from the bottom of the galley sink to the at-dock waterline.
What is the best way for drainage overboard?

1. Direct flow through a seacock and thruhull under the sink. I tested and get a fair amount of water into the sink on starboard tack so the seacock would have to be closed while under way. The orginal owner (who built the boat) abandoned this after the first cruise and built a sump (under the engine bed).

2. Drain into a seperate sump which gets pumped overboard via a small auto electric bilge pump. Potential odor problems (but a trap was not used). The original owner was not that please with this either and I removed it for that and other space considerations.

3. Direct feed to a macerating pump and overboard discharge. This seems like a good solution - no through-hull, no stinky sump (there's always standing water).

Am I overlooking something? Have you, the sailing masses out there, tried or used this?

Thanks ahead for your input.
John
Old 03-06-2008, 17:47   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
What is the best way for drainage overboard?
Just what do expect to force down the drain? A direct line out and down seems appropriate for most people. 3.5 inches is still enough. A macerator for a sink drain just does not seem warranted. A shore gabrage disposal is just not anything I've ever seen but I suppose someone has some plac esome how. Possible is not always reliable not appropriate.

You might run into problems when the waterline should rise. It would yield sea water inside the sink. I'm not sure there is a solution for that.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 09:00   #3

Pblias:
Thanks for the response.
Expected drainage is typical for most galley sinks - water plus the odd potato peel. Not much more than a standard inline pump could handle, the macerator is just extra insurance for the pump not clogging.
I might not have been clear to explain that the discharge would exit through a transom fitting - never likely below the waterline.
I had intended to install a standard thru-hull and seacock for direct overboard drainage when I haul out next week but became concerned when I learned that the first owner abandoned and filled the original thru-hull because he didn't like the way it drained (or more likely how the sink filled with water on a starboard tack).
Old 04-06-2008, 09:35   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Since you have seen what happens with two of the solutions I can only offer another poor solution. Just run the line straight and use PVC pipe. It may be the easiest to maintain but we had that on our last boat it was a 33 ft boat and the galley was maybe a 9 ft run and pretty darn flat. It clogged up somewhat and boiling water would free it up most of the time but a few times I had to use a hose with city water pressure to blow it out. It just drained slow a lot.

I really doubt the macerator will help you much. The line will still collect a lot of really nasty sticky slimy stuff. The sump may work but I think you already have seen the down sides. I'm not a fan of PVC pipe on a boat but it cleans easier. Plumb a tee into it so you can blow it out with a hose because you'll need to do that.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 10:12   #5

Paul:
Thanks for the feedback. The run back to the stern would be near parallel to the waterline so I can’t expect that to work. I was hoping to put a simple drain-trap directly under the sink before a short 1-1/2-inch hose run to the macerator pump, then 1-inch hose out to the transom. SOMEONE out there must have done this. My last alternative is to install a shallower sink before (re)installing the thru-hull!