Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2016, 18:43   #31

Boat: CT 56
Send a message via Skype™ to undercutter
Re: LPG Gas Fitting and Compliance in Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnno View Post
As Gord May recommended, look at the Aus/NZ standard but remember that Australian States have differing regulations. Our Cheoy Lee was compliant in New South Wales but not in Queensland 2 years ago and we had to upgrade to the Qld standard in order to re-register her. The BIG also is that if the installation is not compliant with the state regulation in which the vessel is registered - your insurance is invalid and if there is a fire you loose out totally and may be stuck with wreck salavage costs, site clean up costs, etc, etc.
Which raises the question as to why nobody seems to register their boats Federally. Seems that this would circumnavigate all these state regulations and of course it will be necessary to have Federal registration if you ever intend to sail outside Australian waters (not sure about NZ waters). Maybe I am missing something here?????
undercutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2016, 18:52   #32

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Re: LG Gas Fitting and Compliance in Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I'm not sure I'd want the shutoff valve at the cooker -- why do you want that? Adds two joints and one device which could leak. I would just shut the gas off at the bottle and burn all the gas out of the line through the cooker, if I were you, when you need to connect the cooker.

There are different opinions about copper vs flex hose. Some think that a continuous length of flex hose is better, because copper can crack.

Nothwithstanding that, I think a certified and code compliant system is desirable, so you might think about hiring a gas fitter who seems to know his business to go through the entire system for you. Flexible hoses should be replaced on a regular basis and every thing should be tested.

The gas sniffer in the bilge is highly desirable and I would do that whether or not it's required.

A solenoid cutoff is also highly desirable because it means you can turn the gas on and off at the bottle, from inside the cabin, making it 10000x more likely that you will actually do it. The automatic cutoff function is a bonus.

I'm not sure why bottle storage on the rail is so bad. Look ugly I guess, but I would think it's safer than any kind of gas locker would be.

As you might know from another thread, I hate gas, but you can improve safety by about a million times if you take some care with it, and invest some time and effort into your installation.
I wanted a shutoff valve at the cooker to improve safety. And it's also a requirement in Australia to have a shut off valve near the appliance. And he said the 'line' has to be a solid line without joins.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2016, 18:53   #33

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Thanks everyone.

I'll get another opinion from another qualified gas fitter.

If I can't put the shut off valve on this year then next year I'll plan a full overall along with my galley and moving the bottle to it's own enclosed locker.

I have purchased a shut off solonoide with a panel. I've had that for about two years. But just hadn't got a gas fitter in to fit it as yet.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2016, 19:02   #34

Boat: CT 56
Send a message via Skype™ to undercutter
Re: LG Gas Fitting and Compliance in Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
I have a solonoid, so I don't have to purchase a new one. It's the fitting of it that is the problem.
No welding required as far as I know. All fittings are threaded. Just detach existing regulator on outlet side and plumb in solenoid valve. Agree that an exposed environment might have detrimental effect on the solenoid wiring connections if they are not properly shrink wrapped however I can't see the internal mechanism being affected.

Checked our stove as well to see and threaded joints there as well so should be no issue to install a shut off valve in that location as well. Can't see why there would be a soldered or welded connection at that point either as would be difficult if not dangerous to dismantle if required.

Obviously, leak tests should be conducted with soapy water when installation is completed.

Just as an aside, while we were in Airlie Beach, helped a cruiser we met to replace an electric water heater in his house. Apparently it is also illegal to do this without a fitters ticket as well although I can't for the life of me understand why.

Also read in the literature supplied with the tank that it is illegal to install a gas water heater inside a house. Wonder what they do in Tas where it gets cold??? Maybe they can't have gas water heaters there or maybe this doc was written for Queensland.
undercutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2016, 19:25   #35

Boat: Lagoon 410 (now sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercutter View Post
Which raises the question as to why nobody seems to register their boats Federally. Seems that this would circumnavigate all these state regulations and of course it will be necessary to have Federal registration if you ever intend to sail outside Australian waters (not sure about NZ waters). Maybe I am missing something here?????
Federal registration is expensive ($1,500 or so .. once only not annually) but this does not replace state registration. So state registration is always required if the boat is kept in those waters, regardless of whether or not it has Australian national registration.
Old 28-01-2016, 19:54   #36

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercutter View Post
Yes you are. We have one territory that doesn't require state registration and all the others require it whether you have Australian registration or not (although there have been instances where some Aus registered owners have given the middle finger to state registration authorities and seemingly got away with it).
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia