Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2010, 07:04   #1

Boat: MacGregor65- s/vSunsets
Low Flow Gallon Meter / Counter

Does anyone know of a gallon counter that will track flow as low as 3gph?

We've installed our watermaker and I'd like to have accurate production readings so we can track how much is into our tanks and subtract that value from the use-meter we already have on the tank.

My other options are to either guess by calculating run times or to fill 5 gallon containers and pour those into the tank. I'd prefer a running total.

Thanks.
s/v Sunsets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 07:08   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
I Googled "water flow meter" and came up with this...
Great Plains Industries 113255-4 Flowmeter

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 08:24   #3

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Floscan (http://www.floscan.com/html/blue/index.php) produces fuel flow meters that work down to that range and I imagine would work for water as well. They may be out of your price range though, $162 at the low end.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:31   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Sunsets View Post
Does anyone know of a gallon counter that will track flow as low as 3gph?

We've installed our watermaker and I'd like to have accurate production readings so we can track how much is into our tanks and subtract that value from the use-meter we already have on the tank.

My other options are to either guess by calculating run times or to fill 5 gallon containers and pour those into the tank. I'd prefer a running total.

Thanks.
I would think any of the water meters used to bill for water for homes would work.

One is at Disc Meters | Recordall Disc Series Meters | Badger Meter.

I bought 4 for an apartment which cost about $60 each.
gmau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:45   #5

Unfortunately, most meters seem to be rated for flow that is much higher than .05gpm/3gph which is what our watermaker output is.

For example, we already have a WaterCounter (www.watercounter.com) which we love. It tracks our usage and the digital display tells us how many gallons are left in the tank. But to track the flow back into the tank, that unit needs at least 16gph.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:47   #6
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Personally I think you may be getting more complicated than needed. A simple flow meter like Dywer makes giving you a per hour rating is all you really need. If your water maker is only producing 3gph you'd be better off with a simple kitchen timer set for the amount of hours you want to make water. 3 is an easy number to quickly multiply in your head times the hours run. Most people who have non-electronic water makers do this all the time. Trying to figure out to the gallon what you need, what your water maker is making, how much water you have used and how much you want to make will be something you'll get tierd of doing. You''ll get a feel for how long you'll run your water maker to meet your usual needs by instict soon enough.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 10:19   #7

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid
I agree with Tellie. I think you are getting unnecessarily complicated. If you have an accurate measure of how much you use in a given time, and if your watermaker has a reasonably constant production rate, you should be able to make the necessary calculation easily enough without any instrumentation. I usually don't start my water maker until I have used a third or more of my tank capacity. Unless you are worried about keeping trimmed to the design waterline, or have stability issues which necessitates keeping the tank full at all times, I don't see any pressing need to keep it constantly topped off.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:25   #8

Hmmm. Others have told me that I can complicate a blank piece of paper. Guess they were right.

Thanks all. You're right. I'll just do the math.