Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2014, 10:07   #1

Lovett bilge pump hums the blues!

Installed the Lovett 1200 about 6 years ago and it has seen very little use. I had a water tank rupture on the boat last week end and the pump didn't start up. I disconnected the wiring and bailed by hand.

I re-connected the wiring this morning and I can hear the pump humming, but nothing else. Anyone got any ideas what the problem might be? I thought these things were supposed to be reliable! Should have stayed with my manual pump!

Bry
bcripps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 14:49   #2

Boat: Rinker 24
Re: Lovett bilge pump hums the blues!

In general, if a motor hums it is seized for whatever reason. I suspect if you were able to free up the motor shaft it would probably work just fine as is.

Sometimes they can be satisfactorily freed up just by turning the motor shaft a few times, but each individual situation is different so it is only a guess I'd try that first on your boat. If you can see the impeller sometimes you can just give them a few wiggles with a long skinny screwdriver poked in between the baffles. Others require disassembly obviously.

When you have it freed up or replaced, as part of a weekly routine flipping the switch on for a second will keep it from locking up from misuse.
MBWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 11:44   #3

Thanks for the reply, MBWhite: I'll give that a try. Of course the pump is located deep and impossible to get at, but that's boats! Especially small ones!
All best,
Bry
bcripps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 12:38   #4

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Get another pump. You need a backup, anyway. Manual is a good additional backup, but it is nice to have 2 automatic pumps. Ready to rock.
Old 18-12-2014, 19:49   #5

Take it apart and check the two belts which drive the impeller off the motor. Your belts might have gotten stiff from lack of use and snapped when the pump was finally used. Cheap fix, parts available from Lovett

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Reb Blanchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2014, 21:19   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

The Lovett is an interesting pump. It's one of the few that can be serviced. The belts that Reb mentioned are rubber O-rings. It wouldn't surprise me a bit if they got stiff and broke after six years. MBW's suggestion is also a possibility. Pull the thing out and open it up. I bet you can fix it.

Tags
bilge, bilge pump