Boat: Catalina 30
Re: Lets play "Name that toilet!"

Or this way may work better...

Old 20-10-2013, 14:58   #17
Marine Service Provider

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

I'm seeing a panel for a SeaLand SanX (or maybe even old enough to have had the original name "TDX"), which was a combination Type I treatment device/9 gal. holding tank. SeaLand discontinued it +/- 10 years ago (and not a minute too soon, either!) From what I can see in the last photo, there seems to be a tank on the left side of the photo that MAY be it...with a second poly tank added? I have NO idea what that big round thing on the top of that tank is...or what system the big corrugated hose belongs to. The rest is a mare's nest of jury rigged wiring and plumbing, some foam insulation that appears to have seriously deteriorated and you'll prob'ly find some others things you may be better off not knowing what they are.

My advice...pull it ALL out...clean up the bilge, get someone like HopCar here to spec out a brand new system (you'll be a LOT happier in the long run with a Raritan PHC or PHII than a "disposable" Jabsco that'll need a new pump every couple years). As for whether the current Jabsco Twist 'n' Lock pump will fit that base...plastic (and rubber too, btw) gets brittle and when it gets old...I wouldn't put a new pump on a 40 yr old toilet base just to save $40-50 if it were my boat. It's always cheaper and easier in the long run to do things right/do things ONCE than it is try to nickel and dime every job with succession of cheap "fixes."
https://www.amazon.com/New-Get-Rid-B...dp/1892399784/
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2013, 15:23   #18
Marine Service Provider

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Lets play "Name that toilet!"- Now with more pictures and Drawings!!!

You've redesigned Chernobyl! You don't want that forward tank--which I'm 90% sure is the SeaLand SanX/TDX tank. When it worked it was a nightmare that uses a chemical called TDX --a formaldehyde based witches brew--and barely treated to legal standards...the discharge is an ugly mustard color that STINKS! Although the chemical TDX is still available parts for the system aren't, and havent' been for nearly a decade. I suspect yours doesn't work, which is why there's a second tank...a PO needed more holding capacity...but he just added a tank instead of pulling out the defunct system and installing a larger tank.

You will regret it if you try to salvage ANYthing in the existing system. Start over and do it right...it'll cost you far less in the long run. Let Hop quote you for the components and materials....I'll be glad to work with both of you to spec it out.

As for the "Poo pump"...it may be salvageable, but if it's not, they don't cost much.

Hop, I wouldn't try to shoehorn the complete "hold 'n' treat" package into a 30' sailboat...the controls can be retrofitted to any holding tank, which offers a lot more flexibility when it comes to locating the tank and treatment unit and also the size/shape of the tank and also the plumbing options, so I'd go with all the components separately. It's actually LESS expensive than the "bundle."
https://www.amazon.com/New-Get-Rid-B...dp/1892399784/
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2013, 15:45   #19

The concept of putting ALL OF THE STUFF into a holding tank FIRST and using a macerator to pump it out without a Y valve before the tank makes little sense, since if the pump goes out and you can't find a pump out station, you can't even go three miles offshore and even use your head.

1. Head===Y valve===tank/macerator/pumpout OR overboard

2. Head===holding tank===macerator to pump overboard or pump out

Think about what you want YOUR system to do.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, (Maple Bay Marina) SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2013, 18:56   #20

Boat: Catalina 30
Great information.

It actually makes things easier to start from scratch. I have to see if I can salvage the aft tank but will scrap the 9 gallon forward tank.

The tank behind in the picture is the vberth water tank">fresh water tank. It will need to come out to take out the 9 gallon job.

I definitely hope I have a rear tank as that 2nd hose must go someplace. I hope that when I clean out the port lazerette the thing is not just laying there with no tank.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: