Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2011, 09:58   #76

Boat: Baba 35 - One With The Wind
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shack View Post
Capt Rick,
Which Type I system calls for the use of bleach? (That doesn't sound like a Lectrasan.)
LectraSan and ElectroSan units both make a type of bleach by electrolysing salt water. I'm not aware of any Type I MSD that requires adding bleach to make it work. HTH
RBEmerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2011, 10:25   #77
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBEmerson View Post
LectraSan and ElectroSan units both make a type of bleach by electrolysing salt water. I'm not aware of any Type I MSD that requires adding bleach to make it work. HTH

The Purasan uses a tablet to treat the waste. The tablet is Calcium Hypochlorite (mostly). I don't know how that qualifies but wanted to toss it into the discussion.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2011, 10:39   #78
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Back in the old days there used to be a device called a macerator/chlorinator. It ground up the effluent and added bleach (chlorine) to the muck before it went overboard. The bleach did in the nasties in the effluent but also was a discharge of additional chlorine.

The LectroSan does much the same thing but it gets it's chlorine by electrically breaking down seawater. Since it makes up the chlorine, the chlorine recombines with the elements it came from and becomes seawater again. There is no net increase of chlorine compounds with the LectraSan, it's chemically neutral unlike a macerator/chlorinator.

In salt water, most human disease causing organisms are rendered ineffective within a few minutes of contact. Most viruses, in any case, die relatively quickly once outside the body. The very small amount of effluent from private boats is so miniscule as to virtually present no problem, in any case. NDZ's in salt water are simply a way for politicians to claim a green ribbon while actually doing nothing to improve the environment but make things extremely unpleasant for those effected. Unfortunately, that's what passes for environementalism. Find a voicless group and dump the s**t of the entire community on them.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2011, 10:50   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
The Purasan uses a tablet to treat the waste. The tablet is Calcium Hypochlorite (mostly). I don't know how that qualifies but wanted to toss it into the discussion.
I'd say that qualifies. Thanks for the correction.
Old 15-01-2011, 11:02   #80
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa
I think the Purasan is the less popular sister...
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2011, 11:34   #81

Well, the trade-off is the draw from a LectraSan versus adding a tablet to the hopper. FWIW, we're living on the hook with a holding plate reefer as the other big current consumer. With a 195 watt panel and a D400 wind turbine, the batteries stay up even with the LectraSan churning away as needed.

To date we've had to replace the electrodes (not cheap) a couple of times and the logic board died this fall, all of this in about 10 years of service. Any questions we've had, Raritan has been quick and helpful. Two thumbs up.
Old 15-01-2011, 12:47   #82

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders
Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
The very small amount of effluent from private boats is so miniscule as to virtually present no problem, in any case. NDZ's in salt water are simply a way for politicians to claim a green ribbon while actually doing nothing to improve the environment but make things extremely unpleasant for those effected. Unfortunately, that's what passes for environementalism. Find a voicless group and dump the s**t of the entire community on them.

Yes, and radical environmentalism has many times evolved into ECOTERRORISM!!!
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2011, 21:43   #83
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Just got a note from a friend in SoCal. Seems that late this year, you will have to call first, to get permission to burn a fire in your fireplace... Wow.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2011, 08:49   #84

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders
Quote:
Originally Posted by bstreep View Post
Just got a note from a friend in SoCal. Seems that late this year, you will have to call first, to get permission to burn a fire in your fireplace... Wow.

WACKIES
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2011, 06:23   #85

Boat: Cabo Rico
Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Back in the old days there used to be a device called a macerator/chlorinator. It ground up the effluent and added bleach (chlorine) to the muck before it went overboard. The bleach did in the nasties in the effluent but also was a discharge of additional chlorine.

The LectroSan does much the same thing but it gets it's chlorine by electrically breaking down seawater. Since it makes up the chlorine, the chlorine recombines with the elements it came from and becomes seawater again. There is no net increase of chlorine compounds with the LectraSan, it's chemically neutral unlike a macerator/chlorinator.

In salt water, most human disease causing organisms are rendered ineffective within a few minutes of contact. Most viruses, in any case, die relatively quickly once outside the body. The very small amount of effluent from private boats is so miniscule as to virtually present no problem, in any case. NDZ's in salt water are simply a way for politicians to claim a green ribbon while actually doing nothing to improve the environment but make things extremely unpleasant for those effected. Unfortunately, that's what passes for environementalism. Find a voicless group and dump the s**t of the entire community on them.
This is true. All the NDZs are doing is forcing people to either get a pumpout frequently or dump untreated sewage. Very few are going to spend the money for a Lectra San type device if it doesn't help them in a NDZ. So the expansion of NDZs is counterproductive. If every boat had a Type I I think the environment would be helped.
PamlicoTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 16:26   #86

Boat: 55 Frers Mahog
Re: Lectrasan

Finding this thread fairly interesting. We've had Raritan's for many years both in/out of warranty. Service has been good, tho the parts delivered to Panama during that time was costly.

Now, we use Envirolet composting units with great success. The dried materiels have boosted the potted tomato production on the stern and my orchids have consistently bloomed in the salon. Envirolet® Composting Toilets - the premium brand that's made in Canada
Old 13-07-2015, 07:58   #87

I am contemplating the Electro Scan system for the three heads on my 62 foot ketch (they are not within 6 feet of each other). Is anyone familiar with what is done when you are off the boat for extended periods of time? We are moored in the Gulf Islands of British Columbia. We spend a few weeks at a time on the boat but will ultimately move aboard full time. I need to understand the process for closing down the system(s). Thank for your input everyone!!
grant.temeraire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2015, 08:33   #88

Boat: gozzard 44

If you have access to the internet check the Raritan site where they have all the information to maintenance. We've had one for 13 years with few problems and a pristine holding tank used for the flush water.
ronbo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2015, 09:43   #89
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by grant.temeraire View Post
I am contemplating the Electro Scan system for the three heads on my 62 foot ketch (they are not within 6 feet of each other). Is anyone familiar with what is done when you are off the boat for extended periods of time? We are moored in the Gulf Islands of British Columbia. We spend a few weeks at a time on the boat but will ultimately move aboard full time. I need to understand the process for closing down the system(s). Thank for your input everyone!!
As the old saying goes, "when all else fails, read the directions"...You're asking BEFORE all else fails! You'll find the directions for layup and/or extended storage in the ElectroScan owners manual here: ElectroScan owners manual

If you have electric toilets designed to use pressurized fresh water, the PuraSan would be a better choice than the ElectroScan for you. The PuraSan is also a better choice for any toilet(s) on boats in very cold water. You'll better understand why by reading all about both devices:
ElectroScan
Purasan EX
PuraSan Owner’s Manual mfg. after 09/04

A couple of comments this:

I am contemplating the Electro Scan system for the three heads on my 62 foot ketch (they are not within 6 feet of each other).

You can only connect TWO toilets to a single ElectroScan or PuraSan. It's not necessary that the toilets be within 6' of each other...each must be within about 6' of the treatment device. A second system is needed for the third toilet...or just keep that one on a holding tank.
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 19:32   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by dana-tenacity View Post
What about the airhead I've been reading about, sounds terrific, anybody here have experience.

Try googling airhead, I can't seem to paste the link.
I love my Airhead!! It's been Zero trouble, Zero smell and almost Zero cost. Here's a link and Happy Crapping!!!

http://airheadtoilet.com/

Laurie Alameda Ca
S/V Little Eddie
Laurie6t is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
asa