Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-08-2009, 19:30   #61

Boat: Baba 35 - One With The Wind
Er, there are many more NDZ's than that in the Maryland portion of the Bay alone.

- - -

Good-o on reaching Vic.
RBEmerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2009, 07:12   #62
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa
Source

There are two NDZs in Maryland. Herring Bay and the northern coastal bays.

Since all this boat has, right now, is a Lectrasan I suppose I will be needing to avoid those areas. I keep thinking an alteration of the plumbing to allow a holding tank would be a good thing.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2009, 10:54   #63

Boat: Baba 35 - One With The Wind
Take a look at what's included in "Northern Coastal Bays". Avoiding the area rather limits your sailing options.
RBEmerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2009, 13:59   #64
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

For now, for me, it doesn't.
Old 29-08-2009, 14:01   #65

We recently purchased an older boat with 2 newer lectro scans. The odor coming from one on the units is just nauseating. The control unit must have been submerged at some point and is not good. To replace, it is about $500--question is, whether we just suck it up and purchase an entirely new system, or just replace the control unit. My husband called Raritan and they still make the same system. After reading this board regarding the plates, etc., I'm thinking there is more wrong than just the control unit and we should spring for a new system. In the meantime, we aren't using it. Does anyone know how to get rid of the stench while the old system is still here? We need to give the boat our own name and are seriously considering calling her "Stinky." Any advice is appreciated. BTW, I can see One With the Wind from my flybridge! :-) Funny I happened upon this forum.
auditchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2009, 14:44   #66
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
If the LectraSan is not working, it still functions as a pass through system. The LectraSan unit itself shouldn't have any odor problems unless it's leaking somewhere possibly from a bad gasket or crack in the case. You might start by replacing all the hoses from the toilet to the seacock with non odor leaking sanitation hoses. Have you washed down the entire head area including inside the cabinets. If the boat was partially submerged, there could have been back flow from the head. Last but not least, try flushing freshwater through the head. Saltwater when left to stand gets pretty odoriferous even if it's not effluent.

Aloha
Peter O.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2009, 16:03   #67

Peter O-

Thanks for the advice. We will try your suggestions. Merci.

Auditchick
auditchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2009, 15:50   #68
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Peter O is correct. The hoses leading to the unit could have "stunk through". All sanitation hose will permeate the odor after enough time. I would wipe the hose with a wet paper towel. if the towel smells then the hose is shot and needs replacement. There is no possible treatment for "stink hose". A Lectrasan will never smell. When replacing hose you want to avoid low spots that can allow waste to settle. It should be a clear down hill run as much as possible.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2009, 15:30   #69

Boat: Bristol 38.8
I have a lectra san and have had no issues, although I will definitely look into the condition of the plates.

Of course, I have a weird system. The first Y valve goes either overboard or to the Lectra san. The second Y valve goes from the Lectra san either overboard or to a holding tank. Even treated waste discharges are not permitted in Narragansett bay.

Why, you may ask, am I filling the holding tank with waste that has already been treated? It was either that or replumb the whole damn system.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2011, 11:04   #70

Boat: 1970 Hatteras 38DC
It is my understanding that sodium hypochloride (bleach) in concentrations used in USCG Type I treatment systems break down primarily into two compounds, water and salt.
Capn Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2011, 11:16   #71

Boat: 1970 Hatteras 38DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
For a USCG inspected vessel, being compliant meant putting a crimped loop of wire through the handle and then a lock that keeps the valve in the closed position.
That's one way, the CFR's state the vessel operator must secure each Type III devise in a manner which prevents discharge of sewage. Acceptable methods include: closing the valve and removing the handle, padlocking the valve closed or using a non-releasable wire tie to hold each valve closed. The way it is worded does not prohibit other methods from being used.
Capn Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2011, 14:35   #72

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders
A much easier acceptable way is simply to install a lock similar to that used in automobile ignitions in series with the electrical power needed to operate discharge devices. The key must be put in a secure place where it cannot readily be found and used.

I find it a shame that Lectrasan units are prohibited from discharging overboard. As long as BIG BROTHER, be it at the fed, state or local levels continue to make compliance difficult, fewer boats will be in compliance. There is no reason to spend the big bucks for one of these systems; I would purchase one immediately if the ridiculous discharge laws were changed.

Do not believe for one minute that all those nice looking boats with smiling people with children and barking dogs, enjoying the harbor vistas have empty holding tanks courtesy of a local poop sucker.

Foggy
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2011, 14:46   #73
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post

I find it a shame that Lectrasan units are prohibited from discharging overboard.
In some areas they are, but any discharge would be illegal in those areas. LectraSans are Type I MSDs are legal to discharge as long as you are not in NDZ.
Old 14-01-2011, 14:56   #74

Boat: Pan Oceanic 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Rick View Post
It is my understanding that sodium hypochloride (bleach) in concentrations used in USCG Type I treatment systems break down primarily into two compounds, water and salt.

Capt Rick,
Which Type I system calls for the use of bleach? (That doesn't sound like a Lectrasan.)
Old 14-01-2011, 15:20   #75

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
In some areas they are, but any discharge would be illegal in those areas. LectraSans are Type I MSDs are legal to discharge as long as you are not in NDZ.

Frank-- why bother???

Foggy
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
asa