Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2009, 10:11   #46

Boat: Wauquiez 43 PS
Try the macerator pump...

By now (I see may last post was in 2007 on this subject) I have rebuilt most of the Electroscan unit. Since we cruise in Turkey & eastern Med. I carry extra electrode kit and macerator pump. Gchester, you might try the macerator pump circuitry. When you press the button, the macerator is the first thing to operate and pumps about 1 gal. through the system, then it is supposed to stir the mix for about 6 seconds before the electrodes energize. Usually, the electrodes will cycle through two or three "low amp" , eg < 14 volts, condition before it alarms. It sounds like you have more problems than the electrode unit.

Life isn't a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, proclaiming, "Wow, what a ride!"
gegroves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 10:32   #47

Has anyone tried using the Raritan Hold-n-Treat control with an ElectroScan? This automatically pumps out a holding tank by pumping and treating a gallon at a time. You can get it with a holding tank or use your own.

It has a key switch you can put at the helm. I could imagine just turning it on when ever convenient (battery charging) and legal.

Carl
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 13:03   #48
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"It has a key switch you can put at the helm."

Did that on a friend's boat. The head has an electric macerator pump that goes straight overboard, and sometimes the boat is more than 3 miles out, sometimes in is in a no discharge zone. Putting a key switch in the bulkhead outside the head (we were running new wiring anyway) was a dead simple was a dead simple way to make it USCG compliant. Of course, pulling the fuse and putting it in a drawer worked too.<G>

Putting it on the helm...hmmm....Sounds a bit Captain Queeg (Caine Mutiny) to me.<G>
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 15:43   #49

Does the ElectroScan work with an anti-siphon device between it and the head?. Are the anti-siphon devices commonly left in place during installation or moved to the discharge side of the treatment unit, or eliminated completely?
wrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 18:31   #50

Boat: Baba 35 - One With The Wind
Anti-siphon devices are required as before. The Electroscan (or LectraSan, before it) are not bothered by their presence. The discharge line (going overboard) and the line between the commode pump and commode bowl (not between the inlet and commode pump - the pump requires suction to prime and the anti-siphon valve breaks that) should be protected at least. A break between the bowl and Electroscan can't hurt, but once the other two devices are in place, you're set.
RBEmerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 20:40   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
"It has a key switch you can put at the helm."

Did that on a friend's boat. The head has an electric macerator pump that goes straight overboard, and sometimes the boat is more than 3 miles out, sometimes in is in a no discharge zone. Putting a key switch in the bulkhead outside the head (we were running new wiring anyway) was a dead simple was a dead simple way to make it USCG compliant. Of course, pulling the fuse and putting it in a drawer worked too.<G>

Putting it on the helm...hmmm....Sounds a bit Captain Queeg (Caine Mutiny) to me.<G>
For a USCG inspected vessel, being compliant meant putting a crimped loop of wire through the handle and then a lock that keeps the valve in the closed position.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2009, 09:41   #52

Boat: Pan Oceanic 43
Question Combining LectraSan w/ Vacum system

I have a LectraSan, and I want to replace my manual flush head with a vacum flush system. (e.g. Vacuflush). I'm looking for advice on how to plumb it.

Despite the criticism of the LectraSan on this thread, I have had few maintenance issues with our system after I overhauled it last year. I got it with the boat, I replaced the plates and the check-valve for the salt feed and it has been running like a champ ever since. We are full time live-aboards and do the acid treatment about twice a year.

The only dislike we have is that the joker valve in our manual flush Greco head tends to allow some backfill to the bowl over time. This causes a mix of treated and non-treated waste to enter back into the bowl.

Any adivce on hooking up a VacuFlush or one of Raritan's new vacum system with a LectraSan would be appreciated.
Old 22-08-2009, 10:04   #53

Send a message via Skype™ to gosstyla
I did respond to your PM. Installation instructions with VacuFlush are available on Raritans website.
gosstyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2009, 11:03   #54

Boat: 82 Present, 13 ft dinghy
Help

OK guys, I have read this complete string and I am more confused now than when I started.. Just exactly is the best way to deal with the **** issue? Upfont cost aside, ongoing cost a major consideration along with convience. I do not consider adding salt a big deal. For 3 bucks at Cosco or Sams you can buy one hell of a lot of salt, and no telling how cheap at a shrimpers supply house. $600 plates, no telling how much circuit boards, now that is a big deal.

So if you are starting fresh (pun intended) what should you buy????? 2 heads? One with an unused small holding tank and Y valve for use under weigh and another hi tech for NDZ? Help???

Da Mule.
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2009, 10:53   #55

Send a message via Skype™ to gosstyla
As a prior owner of 2 Electroscans, my choice is Vacuflush or similar low flow fresh water heads with holding tanks. For me, waste treatment systems have only disadvantages - no advantages.
gosstyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2009, 17:14   #56

"Vac-and-pack" or "Zap-the-Crap"?

Mule,
The answer (as always) "it depends."

Gosstyla is in a position to use a his holding tank and then discharge (I believe) because his sailing schedule puts him in a position to do this fairly regularly. A treatment system (aka LectraSan) can be a waste of valuable space if you have have other means of legal and efficient disposal. The VacuFlush simply makes packing the crap in a holding tank more efficient (less waste water).

LectraSan works for me becasue we don't often find ourselves in area that is legal for discharge (outside of 3 miles). The LectraSan allows us to legally dispose of waste without depending on someone else's pump out system (and their schedule).

My LectraSan maintenance runs well. (after I overhauled it from the last owner). Do the acid treatment twice a year and flush the system when you're away for more thana day or two. The maintenance aspect is only difficult the first time around, and always easier than the alternative.

By the way, I installed a few isolation valves that will permit me to route the waste direct to my holding tank and/or discharge if I chose to do so.
Old 23-08-2009, 17:59   #57

Boat: 43 ft Selene/Solo
I am surprised that no one has brought upthe fact that typeI MSD's are still prohibited from use in a "No Discharge Zone". It is not leagle to pump ANY waste water (black water) overboard in a NDZ.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
captain465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2009, 20:44   #58

Boat: Baba 35 - One With The Wind
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shack View Post
I have a LectraSan, and I want to replace my manual flush head with a vacum flush system. (e.g. Vacuflush). I'm looking for advice on how to plumb it.

[...]
Honest, the best source is Vic Willman at Raritan.
RBEmerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2009, 17:30   #59

NDZ & Vic

Capt 465,
Good point, however, the NDZ thing was brought up earlier on an earlier post. Although, I think that the name "NDZ" says it all. There are only a couple that I am aware of in the Chesapeke.

RBEmerson,
I got a hold of Vic, thanks.
Old 25-08-2009, 17:59   #60
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
There are only a couple that I am aware of in the Chesapeake.
Herring Bay is the only one I know of. I don't go there.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
asa