Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2011, 14:26   #16
Marine Service Provider

Actually it hasn't...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamlicoTraveler View Post
The appeal of these Type 1's has really diminished as states have created more "no discharge zones."
I'm seeing just the opposite. There's lots of talk, mostly propaganda from the environazis, and some short-sighted marinas--marinas are private property and can make their own rules--who haven't figured out that the discharge from a Type I is cleaner than the water in the marina yet, or that only about 5% of boats even have treatment devices. There was a move afoot to make the whole state of MD an NDZ like RI, but it never even made out of the committee to the floor of leglislature...even the Save Bay Association wasn't in favor of it! And any Dometic/SeaLand dealer distributor will claim that every body of water in their area is about to become an NDZ... SeaLand is so anti-treatment devices, they tell people that the VacuFlush warranty is void if they install one. A company called Marine Sanitation in the Seattle area who's a SeaLand distributor has been telling people for 10 years that Sound is about to become an NDZ, but that's never even been proposed.

But the reality is, there haven't been any new NDZs added to the EPA list in at least 5 years...the FL Keys was the last big no discharge "hotbed issue." Apparently the politicians have been too busy dodging bullets from the Tea Party and trying to hang onto their jobs to worry something as unimportant as what to do about toilet waste on boats...which is just fine with me!
peghall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2011, 16:30   #17

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamlicoTraveler View Post
AND SHE SHOULD KNOW! Very good info Peggy. I have a Lectra San and it has worked great for years. I have never had to change the electrodes. It does use a fair amount of power...I think 30 Amps for 2 minutes, or something like that.

The appeal of these Type 1's has really diminished as states have created more "no discharge zones." It sounds good for an elected official to vote for that, but if instead every boat was required to have a type 1 or rely only on pumpouts the environment would be better not worse.

I just do the basic maintenance....cleaning with diluted acid once a year, using vinegar etc... I have had no problems.

RIGHT ON PAM!!!!

To make matters worse, the entire pump out idea is a sham when local areas provide pump outs only on Saturday & Sunday mornings... holiday weekends not included.

There are many, self included who would install a treatment system IF THEY WERE ALLOWED IN NDZs. So all the GREEN RADICALS feel great because they were successful in getting the local waters sanctioned to NDZ. But this just creates lawbreakers. Nobody complies...but if you ask, most claim to. It reminds me of the old 55 MPH national speed limit. Sounded good but few complied.

Yes, I would spend the bucks for a system because I believe it would be the right thing to do. But hell I will under the present laws.

Foggy
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2011, 20:41   #18

Boat: Formosa 51 Aft Cockpit Ketch - "Beausoleil"
Re: Lectrasan ?

I just had to reply to this thread, as I own a newer Electro-Scan model. What really ticked me off is that we purchased it in March of 2008, and in May, the entire Massachusetts Bay went NDZ...

But wait, there's more... I was driving to work one day that May, and was listening to WBUR, the Boston NPR station. They were interviewing the person whom they indicated spearheaded the drive to get Mass Bay designated NDZ - I wish I could remember who it was. Now mind you, the interviewer was not a boater. She asked the person why the NDZ designation was needed? And the response almost caused me to swerve off I-95: "We only fought for this federal designation in order to stop the illegal discharge of untreated waste from boats in our waters."!!!

Now, I'm all for the environment, but this guy is basically full of sh!t - pun intended - because all our readers here realize that this guy was lying through his teeth, since it is already illegal to dump untreated waste in US coastal waters within 3 miles from shore. Does anyone have any idea who this guy was? I know it's been three years since the interview, but it would be nice to call him on the carpet.
Beausoleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2023, 07:53   #19

Boat: 1978 Mainship 34’

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whimsy View Post
My boat came with a Lectrasan in the aft head. I'm probably going to a tank for each head as well. As it is, neither head worked, nor had a tank, so in prep for delivering the boat to my local marina I just removed both old heads and stuck a porta pot in one head.

Good to know that if the electrodes are good in my unit it might have some resale value...
Depending on asking price, shipping I may be interested as I am trying to rework an old one.
TheWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2023, 10:07   #20
Marine Service Provider

Wolf, I don't think you realized that you were jumping onto a 12 yr old thread...yours was the first--and only--post since February 2011! You aren't the first person to do that, it happens a lot so don't beat yourself up about it...you might even have "jump started" it again..that also happens a lot!

Btw, you may also enjoy trawlerforum.com--sister site to this one. And Mainship owners also have a facebook page.

Meanwhile, welcome to cruisersforum!

--Peggie
peghall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2023, 15:50   #21

Boat: 1978 Mainship 34’

Thanks I didn’t realize the time
TheWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
asa