Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-10-2010, 09:15   #1

Boat: Custom Cutter 38
Lectra San - Is It Approved for Use in Canada ?

I am pretty much fed up with having a holding tank, for a variety of reasons that I am sure you can all appreciate. The Lectra San looks appealing and seems to be approved for use in the USA. Does anyone know if it is legally approved for use in Canada, especially the Great Lakes?

And a question for the ones among you that have it and use it: does it, well, still come out brownish when you discharge in the water?

Raritan Engineering | Waste Treatment | LectraSan
sailingmonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2010, 09:43   #2

not good for no discharge areas..

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingmonica View Post
I am pretty much fed up with having a holding tank, for a variety of reasons that I am sure you can all appreciate. The Lectra San looks appealing and seems to be approved for use in the USA. Does anyone know if it is legally approved for use in Canada, especially the Great Lakes?

And a question for the ones among you that have it and use it: does it, well, still come out brownish when you discharge in the water?

Raritan Engineering | Waste Treatment | LectraSan
The Raritan unit is a Type I Marine sanitation device. Not valid for no discharge areas...
There are 11 of them (and probably going to grow) in California. In the full list (link below) I believe the Great lakes are no discharge areas, and invalid for the raritan type I.

For a full U.S. list try this:

No Discharge Zones by State | Vessel Water Discharge | US EPA

Unfortunately it seems that a type III (holding tank) is really the only good solution, (or a composting toilet....)
h20man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2010, 11:13   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Yes it does come out as a brown or somewhat colored liguid but disipates almost immediately.

LectraSan's are not approved for the Great Lakes, AFAIK. Thought the whole Great Lakes System was a no discharge area though Minniesocold exempts Lake Superior from their no discharge zones on the EPA list.

A holding tank may be the only solution to 'no discharge' rules but they are never a good solution for the boat owner who has to live with the s**t.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2010, 14:41   #4

Great Lakes no discharge

After spending about $100 to rebuild the electra san unit on our boat several years back, I had the Coast Guard do a courtisy exam. Up here in Michigan the Coast Guard seem to pass you by for somone who doesn't have the annual sticker. Anyway when they saw the electra san unit they informed me the Great Lakes was a no discharge zone and I had a week to disable the unit and provide a means of no discharge. They made arrangements for a re-exam to prove the unit was disabled or recieve a fine. I disconnected the hoses and unhooked the electrical and installed a small holding tank until I could get a tank that was useful. Sold the unit on Ebay.

Prior to rebuilding the unit originally I contacted Rittian about the use of the unit on the Great Lakes. They never did actually say it was legal but only pointed out the unit was certified as a MSD1.

Great discussion: from what I understand this unit treats waste better than some municipalities following a heavy rain.
gulfstar37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2010, 19:55   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Actually, municipal sewage systems regularly dump millions of gallons of raw sewage after a heavy rain. The rains over flow the treatment ponds and they have to let the s**t out. It's typically more sewage from a single municipal sewage dump than all the boats in the area could possibly dump in a century of bad Mexican food.

No discharge rules are typical feel good legislation that a Politician can brag about but only hurts the boat owner's poscket book and nose but doesn't do diddly squat for the enviroment.

Type 1 sanitation devices exceed the typical municipal sewage treatment system for kiling the bad bugs. They do not do as good a job on the particulate matter, however. FWIW, salt water kills most of the bugs in sewage in a couple of minutes. The necessity of treatment is problematical in saltwater for that reason. Freshwater is another story, however.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2010, 20:57   #6

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Fact is, the Lectrasan, no matter how ecologically correct it is - is worthless on a boat. It is not approved for No-discharge zones. Since you have to have holding tanks in the boat, not only for no-discharge zones but also for some State regulations on live-aboards - adding a very expensive device -Lectrasan- that consumes considerable electrical power just does not make any practical sense.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 19:07   #7

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders
Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
No discharge rules are typical feel good legislation that a Politician can brag about but only hurts the boat owner's poscket book and nose but doesn't do diddly squat for the enviroment.
I CERTAINLY AGREE! Not long ago in one of these forums, I was pummeled for announcing my thoughts regarding no discharge zones. There were those who hinted that we should pass regulations to prohibit fish from dumping into the sacred water that is often poluted by municipalities.

I expect the angry ones to toss spears at me again. But lets face it, POOP happens!

Foggy
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 08:08   #8

Boat: Custom Cutter 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
I CERTAINLY AGREE! Not long ago in one of these forums, I was pummeled for announcing my thoughts regarding no discharge zones. There were those who hinted that we should pass regulations to prohibit fish from dumping into the sacred water that is often poluted by municipalities.

I expect the angry ones to toss spears at me again. But lets face it, POOP happens!

Foggy
Off topic, but it's my thread so what the hey.

Wanna bet that the day will come when human farting will be prohibited, so as to protect the ozone layer?
sailingmonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 08:34   #9

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Actually if you remember the old CF thread on Ocean Plankton it was brought out that "methane" was a more potent pollutant. Bovine Methane Production "BMP" might just rate another international conference on saving the planet. Maybe some "Cap and Trade" of BMP could be worked out. The possibilities are staggering especially if you are the south end of a northbound bull.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Canada, lectra san