Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 05-01-2015, 03:31   #46

Re: Leaky Toilet Rotting My Stringers - What to do?

A trick described to me by my marine pro friends when I was changing heads on my previous boat and which worked flawlessly was to pre-heat the hoses at points of attachment with either hair dryer or a heat gun (set on low or med. setting so as not to burn the hose). Works either during removal or install and the hoses come off or attach like a charm.

Also if your budget prohibits a new Raritan as was the case on my old 27footer, I simply went for a simple basic Jabsco model which at the time (about 5-6 years ago) I found on sale at West Marine for $99, less their coupon for $20, which came out to about 1/2 of it's then listed price of $149. These days I believe they list for $199 but with coupons and sales can be gotten for about $150. I know that the purists on CF will pooh-pooh this sugggestion but I found Jabsco not much less robust or user friendly than PHII I have on my current boat. At least I don't see a $300+ difference in price justified.

Old 05-01-2015, 04:11   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
A trick described to me by my marine pro friends when I was changing heads on my previous boat and which worked flawlessly was to pre-heat the hoses at points of attachment with either hair dryer or a heat gun (set on low or med. setting so as not to burn the hose). Works either during removal or install and the hoses come off or attach like a charm.

Also if your budget prohibits a new Raritan as was the case on my old 27footer, I simply went for a simple basic Jabsco model which at the time (about 5-6 years ago) I found on sale at West Marine for $99, less their coupon for $20, which came out to about 1/2 of it's then listed price of $149. These days I believe they list for $199 but with coupons and sales can be gotten for about $150. I know that the purists on CF will pooh-pooh this sugggestion but I found Jabsco not much less robust or user friendly than PHII I have on my current boat. At least I don't see a $300+ difference in price justified.
Thanks for the trick. Sounds like a good idea for intake and bowl hoses. They are only 3/4 inch or so. The 1 1/2 inch exit hose has been cemented in place w. black, silicone sealant all around the exit elbow, which has led me to ask further up the thread if anybody thinks sealant is necessary for the repair. The manual never mentions it.

Also, I agree about the price issues. Raritan now asks $650+ on their website. For what? An ancient design, a few pieces of plastic, a lever, piston, and a few O rings. Bothersome to say the least.

One might think about buying a 3d printer for a bit more than the price of a new, electronic version of the PHII, then selling the manual models online for $50 bucks each. Make a fortune and put those Jersey boys (we used to live just down the road) out of business. Investors anyone ??? : )

G2L

Old 25-01-2015, 10:03   #48

Update: Stringer fixed; Repaired toilet to go in soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone2long View Post
I recently bought a polyester over wood boat and found that a leaky toilet has been rotting through one of the glassed-over stringers underneath it.

I realize that this sounds like a bad joke, but it appears that the salt and urine have actually eaten away at the fiberglass. Not only that, but the wood in the stringer has some serious rot.

I tried scraping away at the rotted wood to discover how bad the problem actually is, and now, there is an incredibly noxious odor being emitted, apparently from the rotting wood.

First question then is, how do I begin cleaning up this mess? Also, is it wise to scrape anymore of the stringer away while the boat is in the water? Looks like the rot could go right down to the base of the stringer.

Any advice or suggestions would be sincerely welcomed.

G2L
Updating this thread to note that I had a pro fix the rotted stringer. He did an excellent job by doing essentially what you guys have suggested. Also, used your suggestions regarding how to tackle odors w. great success and will be installing the repaired toilet, epoxied cracks and all, soon. As per some warnings from folks, I will report on how that works out, once installed.

Thanks again to everyone for your invaluable suggestions and advice.

G2L
Old 25-01-2015, 10:18   #49
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

If your head hoses are white, don't use heat on them..other than warm water, they are likely to fail afterward.
I've used the jabsco $100 heads a lot. They work ok, some better than others... the difference was likely the varying installations. Some had a vented loop on the intake , some not.
I consider them a "use and throw" type of head. Just replace it every few years. The Raritan are better quality... albeit a bit of a non ergo design in the old ones anyway...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2015, 16:12   #50

Boat: csy 37

My Raritan PHII is 10 years old and works great, only one O ring replaced in all that time. Still, I can understand why people might prefer the cheaper throw aways - except if you expect to be away from "civilization" for a while.

On my earlier smaller boats, under 28 feet, the head was a 5 gallon bucket with a long rope and a fitted toilet seat....
Old 26-01-2015, 05:42   #51

On My Raritan - More News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
If your head hoses are white, don't use heat on them..other than warm water, they are likely to fail afterward.
I've used the jabsco $100 heads a lot. They work ok, some better than others... the difference was likely the varying installations. Some had a vented loop on the intake , some not.
I consider them a "use and throw" type of head. Just replace it every few years. The Raritan are better quality... albeit a bit of a non ergo design in the old ones anyway...
Throw away, indeed. After searching the ins and outs of the various compartments of the boat, I found the three repair kits previously noted, and three pump assemblies. Two of the pump assemblies were of the pre-1992 era and one was from the more modern version of the PHII. Strangely missing were the bases to any of these pumps and kits.

My conclusion is that the PO actually had 3 toilets and 3 repair kits. The base of the pre 1992 toilet that he had been using broke. The 2nd base he had also needed some kind of repair, so the PO then used PVC cement to join the two, pre 1992 bases at the point of the rupture. The last, more "modern" base was discarded as the pump assembly was dysfunctional (probably second hand) and the new assembly and base (according to my recent measurements) did not fit into the head compartment.

Maybe the original owner simply got "pissed off" and simply threw the new base overboard ??? : )

In any case, these are just my guesses, since the owner is out of the country and the broker who sold me the boat is somewhat predictably ignorant of all problems encountered since he sold me the boat.

Hope this doesn't sound too familiar : )

G2L
Old 26-01-2015, 06:04   #52

On the 28 foot Solution ...

"On my earlier smaller boats, under 28 feet, the head was a 5 gallon bucket with a long rope and a fitted toilet seat....[/QUOTE]

... Yes, well ... to tell the truth ... something similar has been working for us over the last couple of weeks : )

However, we really would like to get the toilet functional in the not too distant future !!!

Wish us luck. : )

G2L
Old 26-01-2015, 10:46   #53

"In any case, these are just my guesses, since the owner is out of the country and the broker who sold me the boat is somewhat predictably ignorant of all problems encountered since he sold me the boat."

My experience has been that all brokers are ignorant of all problems BEFORE they sell you the boat, as well as after.

Still, it's nice to know that most problems eventually get solved, either by application of effort or money, or most likely, a combination of both....
Old 26-01-2015, 15:57   #54
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Man this thread is really "rotting my stringers"... I think there's some new Sailor-speak in there... :>)
All this boat mechanic-ing is "rotting my stringers"...
This jammed in mast furling is really "rotting my stringers"...
Trying to change the oil standing on my head is really "rotting my stringers"...

you get the picture...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2015, 04:18   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
"In any case, these are just my guesses, since the owner is out of the country and the broker who sold me the boat is somewhat predictably ignorant of all problems encountered since he sold me the boat."

My experience has been that all brokers are ignorant of all problems BEFORE they sell you the boat, as well as after.

Still, it's nice to know that most problems eventually get solved, either by application of effort or money, or most likely, a combination of both....
Yeah, I had the boat hauled for other problems and got the stringers fixed then. Just back on the boat and will install the toilet tomorrow. Thanks for your input.
Old 09-02-2015, 05:02   #56

Toilet Reinstalled: Difficult to Pump on Downstroke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone2long View Post
I recently bought a polyester over wood boat and found that a leaky toilet has been rotting through one of the glassed-over stringers underneath it.

I realize that this sounds like a bad joke, but it appears that the salt and urine have actually eaten away at the fiberglass. Not only that, but the wood in the stringer has some serious rot.

I tried scraping away at the rotted wood to discover how bad the problem actually is, and now, there is an incredibly noxious odor being emitted, apparently from the rotting wood.

First question then is, how do I begin cleaning up this mess? Also, is it wise to scrape anymore of the stringer away while the boat is in the water? Looks like the rot could go right down to the base of the stringer.

Any advice or suggestions would be sincerely welcomed.

G2L
Repaired the toilet replacing all O rings, hoses etc., which took care of the related leaks, and my marine epoxy repair on the cracks is holding well at least for the moment. Will order a new pump housing and base when possible and keep them as a backup.

Also, the stringers were replaced by a pro, and I did a lot of carpentry work myself strengthening the wood base for the toilet and surrounding structure.

The repaired toilet worked fine at first, but after a few uses, the pump has become very difficult to operate on the downstroke. Does anyone know why this is happening and/or have a solution?

Thanks again,

G2L
Old 09-02-2015, 05:12   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Full holding tank, or plugged vent?

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 09:08   #58

This is a raritan phii? If so, its the air valve on the front of the pump body, part number 1203W Air Valve Assembly. Its a one way valve that lets air into the pump. If its stuck you get exactly the sympton you have. After a billion or so strokes the little rubber thingy in the valve sticks.
Removal is easy. Just put a wrench on it and unscrew it. Sometimes you can clean it and reuse it but its probably worth just replacing it. Put some teflon tape around the threads and screw it back in. End of problem. Ask me how I know.
I love my phii. After ten years I have replaced only two parts, the piston o ring and the air valve. I did replace the joker valve once but didnt really need to. I was rerouting the outlet hoses and decided to replace the joker valve just because it was easily accessible at the moment.
Old 10-02-2015, 23:54   #59

Air Valve Joker too Tight or in Backwards?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Full holding tank, or plugged vent?
There is no holding tank, but there is an "air valve assembly" on the side of the pump housing, which consists of a plastic nut, which screws a small washer and joker valve into the side of the pump housing.

Perhaps I screwed the valve in too tight while replacing it, and this is hampering it's function? Also, my toilet diagram did not show details of the air valve assembly, so I was unsure which way to put in the joker. I put it in with the lips facing the assembly. Was that backwards?

All help appreciated.

G2L
Old 10-02-2015, 23:58   #60

See my Reply Above on Air Valve Assembly

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
This is a raritan phii? If so, its the air valve on the front of the pump body, part number 1203W Air Valve Assembly. Its a one way valve that lets air into the pump. If its stuck you get exactly the sympton you have. After a billion or so strokes the little rubber thingy in the valve sticks.
Removal is easy. Just put a wrench on it and unscrew it. Sometimes you can clean it and reuse it but its probably worth just replacing it. Put some teflon tape around the threads and screw it back in. End of problem. Ask me how I know.
I love my phii. After ten years I have replaced only two parts, the piston o ring and the air valve. I did replace the joker valve once but didnt really need to. I was rerouting the outlet hoses and decided to replace the joker valve just because it was easily accessible at the moment.
I replaced the joker, but perhaps it is too tight or in wrong as noted in my response to Gordmay above. See my post and tell me what you think.

Thanks a lot,

G2L

Tags
oil, rot

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: