Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 17-12-2014, 00:55   #31

Boat: Mariner Ketch 32- 1979- hull 202
Re: Leaky Toilet Rotting My Stringers - What to do?

It's Clorine gas , but I really doubt that there is enough ammonia in urine to cause a reaction.
I'll try that .

Sent from my iPad SV Cloud Duster

Old 17-12-2014, 00:58   #32

Boat: Mariner Ketch 32- 1979- hull 202

Florine, used in R-12 was the phosgene gas danger for most in the refrigeration field.
Now we use sniffers that are electric.

Sent from my iPad SV Cloud Duster

Old 21-12-2014, 04:38   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
one does not urinate into a composting toilet-- the excrement and urine are separated by the go-er when going. urine is dumped and feces remain in a bag with peat moss.

use vinegar to neutralize the possible urine in the wood, also to kill molds and rot microbes. then dry and fix.
bleach will react with urine to make a bad gas used to kill folks in ww1. remember urine has ammonia in it--reacts woith chlorine in a way you do not want to inhale.
Thanks again for your advice, and excuse the late posts. Been real busy w. the boat and work.

I ripped out some bad wood, left some, but swabbed everything down pretty well w. vinegar. It smelled for a few more days, then most of the smell disappeared, so all is going pretty well in that regard.

Am in the process of "swapping out" parts as suggested by another poster below, and it seems that I have most, if not all that I need, so will report again on the final progress.

Thanks again to all for your posts.

G2L
Old 21-12-2014, 04:45   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Pre '92?! Rip at all out and put in a new head and hoses. Probably a new holding tank too.
Gonna try the repair kit first. Seems like the last owner left at least two aboard, so that will save me an awful lot of money.

Thanks for your note,

G2L
Old 21-12-2014, 04:47   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
G2-
Go out and buy a can of "PBlaster". Available in most chain hardware and auto stores. When you need to loosen stuck bolts, use that. You'll get religion after the first try.

WD-40 is great for many purposes, but it does not chemically attack corrosion bonds, the way PBlaster does. The only similar product would be "Kroil" which is not generally sold at retail at all.

And as Minaret says, replace all the hoses while you are at it. Ten years would be a long time for even the best of hose, and buying the best hose means replacing it that much less often.

I'd suspect there are diagrams on the web and who knows, maybe a YouTube video on replacing the head parts. Usually, well, if you've got the right kit it is just a matter of swapping out each part, old for new, and then bolting it back up again.
I'm done w. the current rusty bolts, but there are certainly a few more that need attention on the boat so thanks for the Great Tip. Will add PBlaster to my increasingly long list of stuff to buy : )

Regards,

G2L
Old 21-12-2014, 04:50   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
G2-
Go out and buy a can of "PBlaster". Available in most chain hardware and auto stores. When you need to loosen stuck bolts, use that. You'll get religion after the first try.

WD-40 is great for many purposes, but it does not chemically attack corrosion bonds, the way PBlaster does. The only similar product would be "Kroil" which is not generally sold at retail at all.

And as Minaret says, replace all the hoses while you are at it. Ten years would be a long time for even the best of hose, and buying the best hose means replacing it that much less often.

I'd suspect there are diagrams on the web and who knows, maybe a YouTube video on replacing the head parts. Usually, well, if you've got the right kit it is just a matter of swapping out each part, old for new, and then bolting it back up again.
Also, the hoses look good. As noted earlier, there seems to have been previous work done on the toilet area, including new sea cocks. Looks to me like new hoses went in then, and they do not look ten years old, maybe just a couple. The old owner is now in Cuba, and I'm in Asia, which makes it a bit difficult to figure out what I am dealing w. in terms of repair history.

Thanks again,

G2L
Old 01-01-2015, 02:28   #37

Progress Report - Re: Leaky Toilet Rotting My Stringers - What to do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone2long View Post
I recently bought a polyester over wood boat and found that a leaky toilet has been rotting through one of the glassed-over stringers underneath it.

I realize that this sounds like a bad joke, but it appears that the salt and urine have actually eaten away at the fiberglass. Not only that, but the wood in the stringer has some serious rot.

I tried scraping away at the rotted wood to discover how bad the problem actually is, and now, there is an incredibly noxious odor being emitted, apparently from the rotting wood.

First question then is, how do I begin cleaning up this mess? Also, is it wise to scrape anymore of the stringer away while the boat is in the water? Looks like the rot could go right down to the base of the stringer.

Any advice or suggestions would be sincerely welcomed.

G2L
All problem wood and toilet parts are ripped out, toilet replacement kit is partially installed. Smell is largely gone in that I have given the vinegarized, partially rotted stringer a couple of weeks to dry and air out.

As noted previously, my plan is to test the repaired toilet on the dock, pulling sea water in and flushing it out the other side. Not sure what kind of volume of water I should expect coming into the bowl, since, before the repair, there was not much more than a dribble entering, due, apparently, to the plunger O ring being worn. And, obviously, I am new at all this.

To remind folks, the toilet is a primitive, manual Raritan. All advice is welcomed and sincerely appreciated.

Thanks to all of you for your previous replies,

G2L
Old 01-01-2015, 22:46   #38

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hi, gone2long,

It sound like you're coming to grips with this whole deal. Good on ya. I do think you're going to have to scarf in a new stringer section, make a proper repair of it. Once repaired, you may want to liberally epoxy coat the area under the toilet. If you drill holes in it, re-seal the freshly opened timber with penetrating epoxy. Dry is good.

If you're going to shower in there, you'll want a separate sump and pumpout for the shower, it may drain into your bilge (our previous boat's did, which was why we used sun showers above decks instead), but the soap scum will make problems for your bilge pump, besides being a disgusting mess to clean. [a self comment on my somewhat florid language: I guess until I have tried cleaning out a 20 yr. old holding tank, I'm not really qualified to discuss "disgusting mess to clean", eh?]

Ann
Old 01-01-2015, 23:19   #39

WD40, or Water Displacement formula 40, is great at displacing water. I use it for that, and only that.
Old 04-01-2015, 02:24   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Hi, gone2long,

It sound like you're coming to grips with this whole deal. Good on ya. I do think you're going to have to scarf in a new stringer section, make a proper repair of it. Once repaired, you may want to liberally epoxy coat the area under the toilet. If you drill holes in it, re-seal the freshly opened timber with penetrating epoxy. Dry is good.

If you're going to shower in there, you'll want a separate sump and pumpout for the shower, it may drain into your bilge (our previous boat's did, which was why we used sun showers above decks instead), but the soap scum will make problems for your bilge pump, besides being a disgusting mess to clean. [a self comment on my somewhat florid language: I guess until I have tried cleaning out a 20 yr. old holding tank, I'm not really qualified to discuss "disgusting mess to clean", eh?]

Ann
Thanks Ann,

Really appreciate your help.

Will be taking a close look at the wood again, probably tomorrow, and may cut a bit more out, see if it smells, if so, douse it w. vinegar, wait til it dries, repeat if necessary.

Eventually, I will get this done, by hook or crook. I am currently waiting for a marine carpenter to talk to me about fixing the wood. and doing some other critical stuff. If he doesn't want the job, I will be doing it myself and will post photos before hand for your comment and comments from anyone else interested.

Thanks again,

G2L
Old 04-01-2015, 03:03   #41

More Questions - Pump Cracks, Sealant, Parts, etc.

OK, here we go again.

Latest is that I discovered that I actually have a Raritan PHII, I actually have three repair kits or part of 3, and the manual suggested above matches my toilet.

However, the manual is almost useless in terms of how to use the repair kits, and the kits have no instructions. They do have parts lists, however, but I have no idea what some of the part names refer to, so I am not sure if the kits I have are actually complete.

I have replaced a number of parts, and I believe that I have the most critical ones, including the O ring for the plunger, however, the pump was leaking from the top, where the plunger goes into the pump housing, and there seems to be no seal or any other item in any of my kits which would prevent any kind of leak coming out of the top of the pump, where the plunger enters. Anyone know what the name of the part and or what type of part should go up there? Will send photos as soon as I can take a few.

Also, when taking apart the toilet, it was obvious that sealant was used in certain locations, but the manual does not suggest the use of sealant anywhere. Is it needed over the rubber, bowl seal? Is it needed over the male connector for the intake hose? If so, what type/brand of sealant is best? Will silicon bathroom sealant work?

Lastly, I have discovered that the joint where the outflow pipe and toilet pump housing meet is leaking. I have repaired it w. marine epoxy. Will this last? There is also a crack at the base of the pump housing, which I have sealed w. marine epoxy on the inside (below where plunger would actually reach) and on the outside. Good enough, or should I just forget the idea and spend a cool $600+ on a new toilet?

All opinions and suggestions welcomed.

Regards again,

G2L
Old 04-01-2015, 03:07   #42
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat
Re: More Questions - Pump Cracks, Sealant, Parts, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone2long View Post
OK, here we go again.

Latest is that I discovered that I actually have a Raritan PHII, I actually have three repair kits or part of 3, and the manual suggested above matches my toilet.

However, the manual is almost useless in terms of how to use the repair kits, and the kits have no instructions. They do have parts lists, however, but I have no idea what some of the part names refer to, so I am not sure if the kits I have are actually complete.

I have replaced a number of parts, and I believe that I have the most critical ones, including the O ring for the plunger, however, the pump was leaking from the top, where the plunger goes into the pump housing, and there seems to be no seal or any other item in any of my kits which would prevent any kind of leak coming out of the top of the pump, where the plunger enters. Anyone know what the name of the part and or what type of part should go up there? Will send photos as soon as I can take a few.

Also, when taking apart the toilet, it was obvious that sealant was used in certain locations, but the manual does not suggest the use of sealant anywhere. Is it needed over the rubber, bowl seal? Is it needed over the male connector for the intake hose? If so, what type/brand of sealant is best? Will silicon bathroom sealant work?

Lastly, I have discovered that the joint where the outflow pipe and toilet pump housing meet is leaking. I have repaired it w. marine epoxy. Will this last? There is also a crack at the base of the pump housing, which I have sealed w. marine epoxy on the inside (below where plunger would actually reach) and on the outside. Good enough, or should I just forget the idea and spend a cool $600+ on a new toilet?

All opinions and suggestions welcomed.

Regards again,

G2L

Currently $376.12 at Jamestown.

Raritan PHII and PHEII Marine Toilets and Accessories

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 03:15   #43

Re: More Questions - Pump Cracks, Sealant, Parts, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Appreciate the link, but I am in Asia. Import tax where I am is 50% or so on such items, but I might be able to find a way around that if the repair truly seems a dead end.

Thanks for your help,

G2L
Old 04-01-2015, 06:35   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

PHII Instructions, with photographs & exploded view ➥ http://www.raritaneng.com/pdf_files/ph_II/L04v0505.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 02:33   #45

Raritan "Exploded Views" found w. Raritan Search Web Search Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
PHII Instructions, with photographs & exploded view ➥ http://www.raritaneng.com/pdf_files/ph_II/L04v0505.pdf
Gord,

Thanks for the link. Actually, I stumbled upon it yesterday when doing a Yahoo search on how to fix a Raritan toilet. The site mentioned the exploded view, which I had never been able to find on the Raritan website.

Using Raritan's search mechanism, I entered "exploded view", and the views of all their products came up in a long list of pdf files. This is something that all Raritan customers should know about.

By the way, any opinion on trying to patch the pump housing and toilet base cracks? Is this an exercise in futility?

Thanks for your invaluable insights, both past and present,

G2L

Tags
oil, rot

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: