Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2016, 10:02   #1

Boat: Trapper 501, 28 ft
Leaking toilet

I was very happy to install a new toilet while the boat was out of the water this past winter, but now am saddened because there is a small leak on the discharge pipe. It leaks where the discharge pipe joins a diverter valve that channels the waste either to a storage tank or out of the boat. I have tried tightening the connection but it still leaks, but have read that overtightening can cause this problem. I have two questions: 1. Do I have to take the boat out of the water to fix this? and, 2. What is the best way to fix this?

Right now I have the water inlet valve shut off and the toilet is not being used. Needless to say, when I discovered the leak the boat had been closed up for a week and the weather had turned warm. You can imagine the smell.

If I have to take it out of the water, my club has a haul out wagon available at no cost, but then I have to line up other members to help. If I can do it safely in the water, I would rather do that, but I dont want to risk sinking my boat. I should also add that I am a newbie who doesn't know much, but am willing to learn from the experienced hands on this forum.
dplowright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2016, 11:10   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Leaking toilet

I have two questions:

1. Do I have to take the boat out of the water to fix this?

No

2. What is the best way to fix this?

It depends on the type of connection...the tailpiece (hose barb) on the y-valve isn't integral to the body--iow, bolted on and has a rubber gasket--over tightening the screws will pucker the gasket and create a leak...the more you tighten, the worse the pucker, so the worse the leak gets. If this is your setup, you'll need a new rubber gasket...this time tighten "softly"...just enough to kill a leak.

If the leaking connection is just hose onto a tailpiece that's integral to the y-valve body, unless the hose is waaaay too loose for that fitting (since it's just a small leak, I doubt that it is), wrapping the tailpiece in plenty of Teflon tape should cure the problem.
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2016, 11:25   #3

Thanks for the prompt reply.

There is no gasket. The hose just clamps onto a tail piece of the y connector. I will try your teflon tape suggestion, but what about my question regarding whether or not I need to take the boat out of the water?
Old 19-06-2016, 11:35   #4

Sorry Peghall. I did not see your "No" answer. Such a small but important word- thanks again. I'll try to fix it tomorrow.
Old 19-06-2016, 13:03   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

If you do it in the water, don't forget to close the discharge seacock first.
Old 19-06-2016, 14:28   #6
Marine Service Provider

Excellent idea!

I thought he'd already closed both seacocks, but 'twas actually only the intake.
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil