Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2017, 09:02   #1

Leakage from bottom of pump assembly - Raritan PHII

Hello all,

I have rebuilt our Raritan PHII and now find that there is leakage from the bottom of the pump at the screw holes. I see that there are "detentes" in the plastic base to accommodate the screw holes in the flapper valve / seal and I have ensured that these are properly seated.

How tight should the bolts be? Are there any tricks to replacing this valve?

Thanks,

Peter
serendipitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2017, 12:47   #2

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124
Re: Leakage from bottom of pump assembly - Raritan PHII

I had the same problem the first time. The bolts only need to be slightly tighter than needed to stop leakage, which is very little. You should not see very much squish of the flapper valve assembly.

I used a thin layer of grease (compatible with the assembly) spread on the flapper value before assembly.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2017, 13:41   #3
Marine Service Provider

Re: Leakage from bottom of pump assembly - Raritan PHII

Over-tightening screws or bolts will cause rubber gaskets to pucker, which causes 'em to leak. If you didn't rebuild the pump too long ago for the pucker to release, just backing off the bolts to just snug should solve your problem. If the pucker has "set," you'll have to replace the flapper valve.

Same thing applies to replacing the toilet discharge fitting after you've replaced the joker valve. Start by tightening barely snug, then just a quarter turn more to each bolt till it stops leaking.
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
raritan