Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-06-2008, 02:29   #1

Kerosine ( paraffin) cabin heater

I am completing the construction of a Roberts 38 ft steel yacht. As part of the equippage comes a paraffin cabin heater. since most of my cruising experience is in warm climes i have no experience with cabin heaters.
this one can be easily fitted.
Questions?
Is kerosine the same as Paraffin?
are these heaters safe?
What precautions should we take to not have all of the oxygen in the cabin used by the heater/
How much insulation is needed to mount a heater on a plywood bulkhead?
Any suggestions appreciated
Jim
matan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2008, 03:28   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Our heater is deisel but the idea is about the same.

The heaters are safe provided you follow the installation manual. You'll need a chimney for it with a proper deck fitting. I have a cap I attach after I pull out the normal cap. I can't sail with the heater in operation and would suggest you not do that either. They make metal shields to attach to the bulkhead as well as a standoff so the distance is appropriate for the heater. You don't need any insulation. The shield attaches with small screws.

You want to get a Carbon monoxide detector. That is the real danger not losing all the oxygen. Carbon monoxide will kill you in your sleep. You do need some source of fresh air but it's not a lot. There needs to be a draft up the chimney. Your boat may already have enough venting that you won'yt need it.

Note that when you burn fuel the proces yeilds cabon dioxide and water. Imperfect combustion may yield soot and carbon monoxide. No proces is perfect but a well adjusted heater should never smoke. Most heaters take some manual adustment after you get them started. You need to learn how to do this based on the type of stove.

If you have the specific brand and model perhaps somone here has installed the same unit before.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2008, 05:51   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Yes, Paraffin (paraffiin oil) is the British name for Kerosene (kerosine), a coal oil.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2008, 08:52   #4

Boat: Samson 39 Encore
I've got a Sigmar with a fresh air intake. The closed loop system eliminates the worry about carbon monoxide, moisture in the cabin, down drafting, etc. If installed properly (on the Sigmar, with the valve in line fore and aft with the burner) some can be operated underway. It's a great heater once you get onto setting it properly.
encore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2012, 06:51   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Kerosine ( paraffin) cabin heater

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Yes, Paraffin (paraffiin oil) is the British name for Kerosene (kerosine), a coal oil.
Talk about a necropost!

But I ran across this and could not resist adding a small correction -- kerosene has not been made from coal on any scale since the late 19th century. Kerosene is distilled from petroleum -- it's the fraction between gasoline and diesel oil. Most jet fuel is kerosene.

"Coal oil" is chemically similar, but it has not been produced on a large scale in more than a century.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2012, 17:15   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34
Re: Kerosine ( paraffin) cabin heater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Talk about a necropost!

But I ran across this and could not resist adding a small correction -- kerosene has not been made from coal on any scale since the late 19th century. Kerosene is distilled from petroleum -- it's the fraction between gasoline and diesel oil. Most jet fuel is kerosene.

"Coal oil" is chemically similar, but it has not been produced on a large scale in more than a century.
Kerosene is also called #1 fuel oil... Diesel is #2 fuel oil...
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cabin