Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-08-2014, 22:47   #1

Boat: Maxi77 sailing boat. 77 foot (no, joke). Actually lenght is 7.7 metres :)
Keelblock System

Good day,

I've just bought the Maxi77 model sailboat. During wintertime the boat have to be stored ashore on keelblocks covered with canvas. I am planning to build keelblocks myself. Does anybody have done this? If somebody can share their experiences and drawings if possible, it will be very appreciated.

Thanks
Lova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2014, 04:26   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Keelblock system

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Lova.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2014, 05:00   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Welcome to CF Lova...

Like any other boat.... just a blocked up keel, jackstands and chains/straps...

Or on it's side like this one apparently!

Member Ex-Calif has one... I'm sure he'd be happy to help with any particular boat questions...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Maxi-77 Careened.jpg
Views:	2831
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	87166  

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2014, 05:10   #4

Many thanks for welcome and greetings
Old 27-08-2014, 05:11   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
Welcome to CF Lova...

Like any other boat.... just a blocked up keel, jackstands and chains/straps...

Or on it's side like this one apparently!

Member Ex-Calif has one... I'm sure he'd be happy to help with any particular boat questions...
That one on the picture really suits me
Old 27-08-2014, 05:27   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lova View Post
That one on the picture really suits me
Glad you enjoyed...

Do a google image search for basic ideas.... maxi77 search will show some on trailers... Therefore suggesting that a lot of extra hull support is not necessary... Again... Somebody who has one is an invaluable resource!

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2014, 08:24   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Re: Keelblock System

Quote:
Good day,

I've just bought the Maxi77 model sailboat. During wintertime the boat have to be stored ashore on keelblocks covered with canvas. I am planning to build keelblocks myself. Does anybody have done this? If somebody can share their experiences and drawings if possible, it will be very appreciated.

Thanks
Awesome to have another Maxi owner here! And yes many people on CF think we sail 77 foot boats - LOL.

Not sure what you mean by keel blocks. We haul ours into various stands and trailers.

Here is a typical setup - Two pads near the rear and one near the bow. The majority of the weight is resting directly on the keel.

Please ignore the embarrassing amount of growth on the hull. I had been out of country for about 3 months LOL...

Any questions about the boat please let me know. I've learned a few maxi tricks in the last 7 years.

She's not the quickest but she is very stout and has handled everything up to 45 knots with no bad manners.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SDC14697.JPG
Views:	343
Size:	300.8 KB
ID:	87169  
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2014, 10:43   #8

It is so great to meet another 77-footer Ex-Calif. Number is the most important and is the "77" . I am a newbie in sailing and Maxi77 is my first boat, so I would really appreciate any suggestion and hint.

By keel blocks I mean something like in the picture below. Steel construction to put the boat on during winter storage ashore. If there are some drawings or schemes available to share it would be very appreciated.

45 knots? Uhhh... I will love it
Attached Images

Old 27-08-2014, 11:44   #9

Boat: 1993 Sabre 362 #113

Quote:
It is so great to meet another 77-footer Ex-Calif. Number is the most important and is the "77" . I am a newbie in sailing and Maxi77 is my first boat, so I would really appreciate any suggestion and hint.

By keel blocks I mean something like in the picture below. Steel construction to put the boat on during winter storage ashore. If there are some drawings or schemes available to share it would be very appreciated.

45 knots? Uhhh... I will love it
The boat in the photo is using jack stands, probably made by Brownell. The supports under the keel are just 8x8 or 10x10 blocks of wood.

Check out the Brownell website (Brownell Boat Stands, Inc. | Professionals Choose Brownell) for information on how to block the boat and set up the jack stands. They are the experts on jack stands.

Another option is a cradle which is a one piece affair. See sailorsrack.com for one example.

The pads and ajax screws go for about $100 each or so I'm told.

If you choose to lay the boat on its side, do so gently, no in the middle of a windstorm in February.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0010.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	419.2 KB
ID:	87179  
Dave Lochner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2014, 15:45   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I have not seen any plans for jackstands but Dave has it right. You can buy them.

If you want to make them it really should not be too hard. the key is to make sure the height can be adjusted either by screw jacks or positioning pins drilled in the tubes.

The good thing about the Maxi is that it will happily stand on its keel so really the jackstands are for lateral support. If you are looking for measurements, I suppose I could take some measures this weekend as my boat is out of the water right now.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	jack1.jpg
Views:	1174
Size:	378.4 KB
ID:	87184  
Old 27-08-2014, 23:41   #11

Many thanks for help guys

I've come across to that system on the picture below. Also cradles could be an option. It seems not to be so difficult to make, however proper and accurate dimensions are important to ensure that gravity forces are distributed evenly to avoid hull damage.

Ex-Khalif, yes please, if you could do some measurements and later share it will do a really big help to me. Thank you very much in advance.

I'm planning to take the boat ashore in November, so I have an ample time to prepare everything for winter storage.

Dave Lochner ...If you choose to lay the boat on its side, do so gently, no in the middle of a windstorm in February... Ha ha A boat is like wife, you have to be very gently and carefull towards her, and when at sea, she will bring you a pleasure

Many thanks guys!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Boat.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	349.9 KB
ID:	87205  
Old 28-08-2014, 01:54   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

I've come across to that system on the picture below. Also cradles could be an option. It seems not to be so difficult to make, however proper and accurate dimensions are important to ensure that gravity forces are distributed evenly to avoid hull damage.

Ex-Khalif, yes please, if you could do some measurements and later share it will do a really big help to me. Thank you very much in advance.

I'm planning to take the boat ashore in November, so I have an ample time to prepare everything for winter storage.

Dave Lochner ...If you choose to lay the boat on its side, do so gently, no in the middle of a windstorm in February... Ha ha A boat is like wife, you have to be very gently and carefull towards her, and when at sea, she will bring you a pleasure

Many thanks guys!
You will find the Maxi hull to be very robust. You will also notice the hard chine at the corner of the hull to sides of the boat. You will have a hard time damaging the Maxi hull.

Having said that I will try to make some complete measurements so that a stand system can be designed.
Old 28-08-2014, 04:21   #13

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

When you say "keel blocks", I think you're referring to the beefy variety, which literally sit underneath of the keel. Which typically are made out of pieces of say 2x4, or 2x6. And one just cuts a bunch of pieces of the appropriately sized, pieces of equal lengths of lumber to length, say 12" - 18", and affixes them together at 90 degree angles at the corners with drywall screws, & or nails. And of course you can use adhesives in addition to mechanical fasteners as well to... which, knock on wood (no pun intended) will help to keep cheap lumber from cracking/splitting in the vicinity of heavily compressed fasteners.
Especially as in most parts of the country, anything left outside during the winter undergoes the torment of water getting into things & doing the freeze & expand thing.

I don't have any pics on hand, but I'm sure if you do some looking around a boatyard, you'll see plenty of them. And often enough, for; the asking, or a small bribe ($, beer, or rum) you can pick up a used one, or three. Which if that's not enough, just use the pre-loved one(s) which you just picked up as a model/template to make a couple more.
As to the canvas covered bit, that's something I've never seen or heard of on keel blocks. Perhaps someone else will chime in on that. Though I've seen scrap pieces of carpet used a lot as padding/snit-scratch material on jack stands, cradle planks, & other assemblies which hold up vessels in the off season.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2014, 05:06   #14

Boat: 1993 Sabre 362 #113

Quote:

Many thanks guys!
Generally, the keel supports the weight of the boat and the cradle or jackstands stabilize it. There should be very little weight on the cradle pads.

On the picture, the cradle is not long enough for the boat. If you go forward on the deck there may not be enough support in the bow causing the stern to rise and the boat to tip over.

An important dimension is the width of the cradle. Not in relation to the boat, but in relation to the yard's trailer that will pick up the boat and cradle, find out the max width that yard can pick up.
Dave Lochner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2014, 05:09   #15

Thanks for your advice dear UNCIVILIZED

I'll take a round in some boatyards to look for such pieces of lumber. Actually I was thinking of using a lumber, but the weight of the boat (approx 2 tons) makes me a bit worrying about strength of the such construction. Steel seems to be more durable. Of course there have to be some padding for smooth sitting, but canvas is for covering the whole boat to protect from rain and snow in offseason.

Many thanks for your response, I am very surprised how helpful are people here

Tags
keel