Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2008, 11:56   #1

Boat: Hans Christian 33 NAKIA
Send a message via Yahoo to svnakia Send a message via Skype™ to svnakia
Katadyn Membrane / Pressure Vessel Replacement

I have a friend who has a PUR watermaker and he feels he needs new membranes (he says there's two in the pressure vessel). Before you ask, lets just assume for the minute that he does actually need a new membrane and there's not some other problem.

Katadyn quoted him around $500 ea, which makes it around $1000 for the two.

Given the fact that the PUR pressure vessel and membranes have a non-standard size, he's pretty much stuck with shelling out the $$. Or is he?

Why can't he just by a standard sized membrane and pressure vessel, about $500 for a 21" membrane/vessel on WaterAnywhere ? Then he's at least have a standard size pressure vessel and he could get a new membrane for $187 if he needed a new one.

I'm sure there's issues with fitting sizes between the pump and the new pressure vessel but I'm assuming these can be solved. Also he'll need to make sure to get a membrane with similar surface area. Does anyone know what the surface area and operating pressure is for a Katadyn membrane?

Has anyone done this replacement?

Thanks in advance.
John
S/V NAKIA
Web Log of Sailing Vessel NAKIA
svnakia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 03:33   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Katadyn Membranes are pressurized to 800 PSIG (55 bar), and specify Flow rates (± 15%) as follows.
35: 4.5 litres/hr
40E: 5.6 litres/hr
80E: 12.9 litres/hr
160E: 25.4 litres/hr

I see no reason why a Filmtec (Dow) membrane, of exactly matching dimensions, flow, and rejection rates wouldn’t work.
See specs: http://www.appliedmembranes.com/Film...204%20Inch.pdf

See also:
How To Survive With A PowerSurvivor Watermaker ~ By Gary E. Albers
Goto:
http://www.seayeti.com/technical_pag...ersurvivor.PDF

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 06:47   #3
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
If you can fit another manufacturers vessel through some fancy fitting work there should be no reason you can't use a 21" vessel and membrane. If you can plumb it and are willing to send pics I can direct you to a place were the 21" vessel is closer to $280. I don't belive that there are two membrane in Pur watermakers. This all assumes your present vessel and membrane are close to the 21" size. You didn't say which model PUR you have. There are volume issues with the pump to membrane size. If I can help let me know.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 16:38   #4

Boat: Monk Jr 38 Martha Rose
Hi: A DOW SW2520 membrane would be oversized for a PUR 80. The PUR 80 makes about 3 gph and the SW2520 is rated for around 8gph. Running the membrane that far below capacity will result in a somewhat higher salinity for the product than you would get with the smaller membranes used by Katadyn/PUR. It is difficult to predict exactly but my RO design software and experience predict around 600ppm which is much higher than a properly operating PUR 80. 600ppm is somewhat corrosive to stainless steel, shortening the life of tanks and pumps etc. Get back to me if you have questions. Dino
dinocarmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 03:27   #5

Boat: islandpacket
A little late, but I missed this the first time around. I have a PUR 80e katadyn says it has 2 pur 40 membranes back to back. They told me it was the same unit as the 40 except the double membrain. I have not removed them yet to see. The pump rebuild kit is cheap. Any one find a contaner and membrain yet??
Old 15-01-2011, 07:12   #6

I thought I would bump this thread....I need to replace the membranes on my Pur 80 but have been unable to find an aftermarket replacement. Can anyone help?
Old 15-01-2011, 07:22   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

For information about FILMTEC membranes, call Dow Liquid Separations Business:
North America . . . . . . . . . . .1-800-447-4369
Latin America . . . . . . . . . . .(+55) 11-5188-9277
Europe . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .(+31) 20-691-6268
Japan . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .(+81) 3-5460-2100
Australia . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .(+61) 2-9776-3226
Web ➥ http://www.dow.com/liquidseps
Specifically ➥ DOW FILMTEC Reverse Osmosis and Nanofiltration Elements

Old 15-01-2011, 07:50   #8

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran
The Defender Industries Catalog (2010) price for the Katadyn membrane: covers P.S. 35, 40-E, and 80-E (need two), is $337.97 each. It is on page 108.

M.
Mark Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 13:29   #9

Location: Southern California...s/v Feral Cat Catalina 38' S&S design
Boat: Catalina 38' S&S design
Re: Katadyn Membrane / Pressure Vessel Replacement

Hi, just bumping this thread...

Need to replace the two (2) membranes on my model 80E... (Two 40E membranes @ $340.00 each... Ouch)

Wondering if anybody has actually converted the factory two membrane system to one larger membrane and housing with good success??? Please share the model/type and any specs you may have on the new system...

Thinking long term it will be more cost effective and should be mechanically similar with evenly matched membranes... that is converting two lesser flow membranes for one larger flow of equal flow to the two membranes combined???

Help...
Old 17-09-2017, 16:17   #10

I know this is a really old thread but it came up when I was searching for the answer to the same question. Hopefully this will help anyone who has the same problem.

After much research I now have the answer. I have replaced the pressure vessel and the two proprietary membranes with an industry standard solution. Due to an error by the supplier my system now comprises a Dow Chemical 2.5" x 14" membrane. I actually ordered a Hydranautics SWC2514 which I will receive and test in due course. In the meantime the system is running with the Dow Chemical membrane. It is producing water at about 550ppm, a bit above the FDA guideline limit. The Hydranautics is predicted to produce water at about 320ppm, we'll under the 500ppm FDA limit. The Dow membrane is rated at 150gpd of permeate and the Hydranautics at 110gpd. The Katadyn pump does about 80gpd, hence the higher than perfect salinity.

I've used an RCTI pressure vessel which has the same NPT ports as the original Katadyn one except for the permeate outlet which is also 1/2" NPT. Assuming your old Katadyn fittings are OK then all you need is a suitable 1/2" male NPT to 1/2" hose barb adapter for the permeate flow. Total cost of the new installation is about $500 with the membrane making up about $150 of that, bargain!
SteveWestwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2017, 17:31   #11
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Where do about four to five of these a month actually.
It's a pretty simple really. The existing fittings will screw right into the new pressure vessel.

Pur80 before:

Pur80 with a new 21" standard Dow membrane and pressure vessel:
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2017, 04:33   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Steve W.

Old 24-10-2017, 15:47   #13

Boat: Beneteau 38 Nordlund 72, Marquess 55, Jenneau 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Where do about four to five of these a month actually.
It's a pretty simple really. The existing fittings will screw right into the new pressure vessel.

Pur80 before:

Pur80 with a new 21" standard Dow membrane and pressure vessel:

Hi Rich, what would this setup run cost wise. Sorry for the earlier message. I thought I did a good search on the site
Valmika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2017, 16:00   #14
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Sure:
Pressure Vessel $395
21" Membrane $187
The Fiberglass Mounting Feet (stainless are shown but those are pricey) are $25ea
The fittings you have on your current pressure vessel should screw right into the female NPT ports on our pressure vessel.

You can email me at Rich@cruiserowater.com

Cheers
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 12:49   #15

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveWestwood View Post
I know this is a really old thread but it came up when I was searching for the answer to the same question. Hopefully this will help anyone who has the same problem.

After much research I now have the answer. I have replaced the pressure vessel and the two proprietary membranes with an industry standard solution. Due to an error by the supplier my system now comprises a Dow Chemical 2.5" x 14" membrane. I actually ordered a Hydranautics SWC2514 which I will receive and test in due course. In the meantime the system is running with the Dow Chemical membrane. It is producing water at about 550ppm, a bit above the FDA guideline limit. The Hydranautics is predicted to produce water at about 320ppm, we'll under the 500ppm FDA limit. The Dow membrane is rated at 150gpd of permeate and the Hydranautics at 110gpd. The Katadyn pump does about 80gpd, hence the higher than perfect salinity.

I've used an RCTI pressure vessel which has the same NPT ports as the original Katadyn one except for the permeate outlet which is also 1/2" NPT. Assuming your old Katadyn fittings are OK then all you need is a suitable 1/2" male NPT to 1/2" hose barb adapter for the permeate flow. Total cost of the new installation is about $500 with the membrane making up about $150 of that, bargain!

Hey Steve,
I am looking at doing the same thing to our Pur Powersurvior 80 LM2, from the early 90's. It hasn't been run in 10years. I managed to get it to work with Fresh water but not salt, and i have a bunch of seal kits for it so I thought I might give it a go.

Just wondering whether you found a difference in quality of the water produced between the Hydronautic and Dow membranes you mentioned above.

Thanks

Paul
SeizeTheBay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
katadyn