Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2014, 08:42   #1

Boat: CSY 37 Plan B
Katadyn 80E Real World Results Needed

The paper specs suggest 8aph=4gph but what are people getting with real world numbers? If 4gph can be had for only 8aph it seems like a great ratio. I am trying to decide between this and an AC CruiseRO system. I am dumping power by 10:30 every morning I might as well put it to good use and not be forced to carry extra fuel.

If any of you that have had this particular system could chime in it would be very appreciated..

Thanks,
Cory
Old 10-03-2014, 17:46   #2
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Re: Katadyn 80E Real World Results Needed

Here's a cheap plug for free beer. I'll be in Marathon tomorrow at Sombrero Key in the morning working on a watermaker. I should be done by lunch. Stop by and buy me a beer and we can talk. PM me for my number.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 18:05   #3

Boat: csy 37

thin line - i also have a csy 37 plan b, and thought about installing a watermaker. i thought i might convert one of the two water tanks, probably the port tank, into a 'machinery' box and put the watermaker there plus have space left over for other stuff.

where do you plan on putting your watermaker?
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 18:18   #4

My starboard side has bunks. The top is where my daughter sleeps and the bottom has utility drawers and storage where there is plenty of room to put a watermaker. There was a watermaker already in the boat prior to our purchase and it was installed under the bed where the freshwater pump is located. The best part about installing it on the starboard side storage area is the access to the water tank.
Old 10-03-2014, 18:28   #5

Tellie I love to buy you a beer and pick your brain about it, unfortunately I have to work tomorrow at the city marina until 3pm. If you are still in the area though let me know, I'll PM my number as well.

Cory
Old 10-03-2014, 18:31   #6

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

when we bought our e80 they only advertised 3.5gph not 4 - maybe they twicked the system a bit to get better output -- but we do a measure every once in a while and we get 3.5gph consistently -- we have had it in since 2010 and used it both western and eastern carib and in the med -- we do take care of it and pickle it if we are not going to use it for a while and pickling takes about 30mins or so

one of the things we like about it is the modular design - we have the pump in one area the membrane in another - we did put in a new thru hull just for the watermaker

and we run it off our solar panels for an hour or two a day when we need water - and we nver buy water or fill at a marina (except now that we are in a marina for 6 months waiting out winter) when we are cruising and not sitting waiting a hurricane or winter season
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 20:42   #7

I have had my 80e for ages It was in the boat when a bought her. I tend to be slack when it comes to pickling the membrane due to its location deep in a cockpit locker. Last year the water quality rose above 500ppm and headed north with each month. I put the new membranes in and now have a consistent 220 to 245ppm. As far as output I seem to get about 1 liter every 5 minutes some times a bit more depending on water temp.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 20:42   #8
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thin Line View Post
Tellie I love to buy you a beer and pick your brain about it, unfortunately I have to work tomorrow at the city marina until 3pm. If you are still in the area though let me know, I'll PM my number as well.

Cory
I'll be heading down to Key West after the Marathon job then heading back up after that. Then back down to Key West again the next day and back to Marathon that afternoon. I'll be staying at the Sea Del in Marathon Tuesday and Wednesday night and heading back Thursday afternoon. Give me a call and we'll work out a time to get together for a bit. Bring your check book, just kiddin.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
katadyn