Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-07-2011, 11:40   #1

Boat: Beneteau 34'
Joker Replacement

I see replacement has been discussed here multiple times. But does anyone have a video of the process, or a step by step guide with pictures?

I did a google but could not find anything readily available

Thanks for any info
Sailagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2011, 11:53   #2
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
Re: Joker Replacement

for a raritan head ?? loosen 2 bolts .. problem is whatever is in the hose will flow out. flush bucket of fresh water first. take 2 aspirin. good luck
Old 18-07-2011, 11:57   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailagain View Post
I see replacement has been discussed here multiple times. But does anyone have a video of the process, or a step by step guide with pictures?

I did a google but could not find anything readily available

Thanks for any info
Sorry no video, but like said before, for a Jabsco, two screws to remove and pipe fitting comes away from the bowl outlet. Remove old valve, fit new.
Flush with clean water first, and then close sea valves. Not the most pleasant of maintenance tasks, but one of the easiest
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2011, 11:59   #4

Yes it is a Jabesco head

Will everything remaining in the holding tank flow out of the pipe?
Old 18-07-2011, 14:21   #5
Marine Service Provider

Step 1. Flush several gallons of clean fresh water through the toilet to rinse it and the head discharge hose out.

Step 2. Put a plastic bag--or better yet, a disposable flat aluminum pan--under the discharge fitting connection to the pump body...'cuz yes, there will be a spill. That's why you rinsed out the toilet and plumbing...so that the spill will be clean water, or at least a lot cleaner than what you've prob'ly been leaving to sit in the hose.

Step 3. Remove the discharge fitting from the pump.

Step 4. Remove the joker valve from the fitting.

Step 5. Put the new joker valve in the fitting...slit should be vertical.

Step 6. Put the fitting back on the pump. DO NOT OVER-TIGHTEN THE SCREWS!!! The flange on the joker valve is the rubber gasket that seals the connection...over-tightening the screws will cause the flange to pucker and leak. And, on a Jabsco, can crack the pump body. So tighten 'em up a reasonable amount...if it leaks, tighten a quarter turn at a time till it quits leaking.

Step 7. CAREFULLY dispose of the pan or garbage bag full of water.
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2011, 14:25   #6

Boat: Ketch, Hardin 45

Did this once on a boat where a guest used wads of TP. Never seen type of commode before. But took it apart, cleared the problem, reassembled with no parts left over or added to said commode. Took a swim off the boat on the other side. That swim was necessary.
Oh! and the commode worked fine afterwards also.
boasun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2011, 14:25   #7
Marine Service Provider

Only if your tank is plumbed backwards...because the joker valve is in the TOILET discharge hose that goes to the TOP of the tank (at least, it should!). However, it's always a good idea to pump out and rinse out the toilet, head discharge hose AND the tank before beginning any maintenance on the sanitation system or toilet.
Old 18-07-2011, 14:32   #8
Marine Service Provider

It's only when someone flushes something they shouldn't have that it should be necessary to do any "surgery" on the toilet. "Marine/RV" or other quick-dissolve TP, practically dissolves in your hand if it gets wet...so any clog that's just an overload of it will almost always dissolve on its own in an hour or two. A little patience is all that you'd have needed.

Otoh, if you'd done that, you wouldn't have the "war story" to tell, so maybe it was worth the effort after all.
Old 18-07-2011, 14:42   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall
Step 1. Flush several gallons of clean fresh water through the toilet to rinse it and the head discharge hose out.

Step 2. Put a plastic bag--or better yet, a disposable flat aluminum pan--under the discharge fitting connection to the pump body...'cuz yes, there will be a spill.

But will it be everything in the tank, or just what it is in the hose?
Old 18-07-2011, 17:17   #10
Marine Service Provider

Only if you turn the tank upside down.

THINK about it, darlin'!! The joker valve is in the hose that goes from the toilet to the tank...the inlet is always at the TOP of a tank. So unless you DO turn the tank upside down, how could ANYthing in it, much less everything, run out of a hose connected to a hole at the top of it?
Old 18-07-2011, 17:45   #11

Ugh!!! I am totally brand new to sailing (love it but learning!). So I thought the sucker was on the BOTTOM of the tank. I know - I don't know WHY I thought that - but I did.

Putting the hose on the top of the tank makes much more sense! Kudos to who ever thought of that!
Old 18-07-2011, 18:13   #12
Marine Service Provider

It was less genius than a requirement of the laws of physics.The inlet has to be at the top...but the OUTLET has to be at the bottom of the tank. The discharge hose connection can be on the top, but that requires a tube inside the tank that goes to the bottom.

Important lesson: The more you know about every inch of your boat, the better job you'll do of maintaining it. So trace ALL your hoses to find out where they go...and also all your wiring, fuses and breakers. Keep the installation instructions for every piece of equipment....most of 'em include troubleshooting guides and exploded drawings that'll help you figure out what's wrong. At least they'll have the mfr's phone number, which can be hard to find!

If you follow my step by step instructions, you should have no problem replacing the joker valve. Let us know how it goes.
Old 21-07-2011, 09:42   #13

Just wanted to let everyone that responded that my problem appears to be solved - without replacing the joker! Yeah!

From your descriptions of the system - and the revelation (to me) that the inlet was on the top of the tank (duh) - I realized I wasn't pumping anywhere near enough to clear the pipe. Now I listen till I hear the pipe is clear - and the backflow is almost nil into the bowl. Maybe an inch or two now (and it's clean"ish" water) - compared to the full bowl, including waste, I was getting before.

There still may be a small problem with the joker - but if it holds steady like this it can definitely wait until the end of season to be replaced.

Thank you all!
Old 21-07-2011, 13:13   #14
Marine Service Provider

Your really SHOULD replace the joker valve now...it's 20 minute job that, depending on how long it's been since it was replaced, will reduce the number of pump stroke by 50% or even more. It's THE single most important replaceable part in a manual toilet!

JOKER VALVE 101 (again)

Most people think that the only thing the joker valve does is acts as a check valve to stop backflow from returning to the toilet or odor from the tank from escaping through the toilet. But that's not a joker valve's most important function...in fact, the joker valve is THE single most important replaceable part in a manual toilet.

Here’s how the discharge half of the pump works: On the upstroke of the piston, a vacuum is created in the area beneath the piston. This causes the joker valve to close tightly, and the flapper valve beneath the pump to open, allowing some of the contents of the toilet bowl to be drawn into the bottom half of the pump. Then, on the down stroke of the piston, the flapper valve is slammed shut, and the effluent is forced out of the bottom of the pump, through the joker valve, and off down the line. But when the joker valve becomes worn and/or there's a buildup of sea water minerals on it, it can no longer seal tightly on the upstroke of the piston...less vacuum is generated when you pump it. And as it becomes more worn less and less vacuum, till finally the bowl contents simply move up and down a bit, but don't go anywhere. Sometimes the flapper valve needs to be replaced too, which is why toilets should also be rebuilt at least every 5-6 years as PREVENTIVE MAINTENANCE.

You prob'ly won't notice the loss of efficiency at first because it's so gradual...same as we don't see that we've gotten a little older than we were yesterday when we look in the mirror each morning. But I guarantee you that if it's been 4 years since you replaced the joker valve, you need to pump the toilet at least 50% more times to move the bowl contents to the tank...most likely they aren't even getting that far any more. If you put it off long enough, bowl contents won't go ANYwhere...just swirl around in the bowl.

So just do it...ok?????
Old 21-07-2011, 13:21   #15

The boat is brand new. And damage is probably because we didn't use it correctly and allowed waste to sit in the tube.

But I will do it - Thanks for your help! I am glad you take the time to participate in the forum!