Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2008, 05:52   #1

Location: West Indies, Now live aboard as cruiser/ voyager often with guest/ friends
Boat: 36' Bene
Send a message via ICQ to Reality Check
Jerry Can hand pump

OK, I've searched Defender, Budget and West's on line for one of the screw in hand pumps for 5 gallon jerry cans.... can not find a darn thing...

I have seen these but didn't pay attention to the manufacture. They were heavy plastic and screwed directly into the can's fill hole with a round pump handle and nozzle.

I generally take 2 of these 5 gallon tanks when I'm out and about to supplement the on-board 80 gallons. I don't like to come in for water or fuel unless forced and when I have guest on-board some just don't get the limit water use thing until they can't shower anymore... after a couple of days they seem to absorb the theory a bet better.

Would appreciate any input from anyone who has one of these... or even those of you who have superior "search" ability!!! Mine seems to be less than effective..

Thanks
ken
Old 24-05-2008, 06:30   #2

Boat: 1973 Morgan 36T
Check it out :
Hand Pumps (Fill-Rite, GPI, Chemical, Diaphragm, Lever, Rotary, Biodiesl and more)
Morgan Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2008, 07:52   #3

Boat: Sceptre 41
When I pulled into Eureka the other day I borrowed the easiest to use siphon I have ever seen. It was an ~5/8" id hose about and a ~1/4" id hose. Both were stuck thru a piece of neopreme that was big enough to cover the spout hole of the jerry can. The 5/8" id was 8' long or so the 1/4" was 3' long. You put the two hoses in the jerry can covered the spout with the neopreme placed the other end of the 5/*' hose in the tank and then applied a steady breath to the 1/4" hose. It didn't take long for a siphon to be created. Worked great. No moving parts to break.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2008, 10:03   #4
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
You might also check Northern Tool and Supply on their website.
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2008, 13:18   #5
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
When I am in a place where I don't want to make water. I have found the easiest way to get people to conserve water usage. Let them haul the water cans around, and fill the tanks by hand. It's amazing how quick the water waste STOPS!!!!!!!
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2008, 06:40   #6

Location: West Indies, Now live aboard as cruiser/ voyager often with guest/ friends
Boat: 36' Bene
Send a message via ICQ to Reality Check
Morgan's site was interesting and think I saw a couple that may work... If possible I'll order one if I can get it to some place I can pick it up... or if not just have it sent home and bring it down for my next trip down in December

Think I may try Charlie's idea for when I transfer to the on-board tanks... the funnel that I typically use sucks.

Thanks for the inputs...
Old 25-05-2008, 08:17   #7

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
When I pulled into Eureka the other day I borrowed the easiest to use siphon I have ever seen. It was an ~5/8" id hose about and a ~1/4" id hose. Both were stuck thru a piece of neopreme that was big enough to cover the spout hole of the jerry can. The 5/8" id was 8' long or so the 1/4" was 3' long. You put the two hoses in the jerry can covered the spout with the neopreme placed the other end of the 5/*' hose in the tank and then applied a steady breath to the 1/4" hose. It didn't take long for a siphon to be created. Worked great. No moving parts to break.
Thanks for that.
I have used siphons many times but the 1/4 inch starter is the cat's meow!!
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote