Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-11-2010, 19:54   #1

Boat: Morgan Out Island 416
Jabsco vs Raritan Head

I've had 2 Raritan PHII manual heads on Liberty since we bought her 7 years ago. We are ready to replace at least one of them.

Any reviews/advice on the Jabsco twist & lock head? Or maybe I'll just replace with what we have, a new Raritan.

We will be full time liveaboards, so the heads get pretty well used.

Comments welcome. Thanks.
SV Liberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2010, 20:19   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
I really like PHII. Our last boat survived without a problem for 4 years of live aboard/and cruising and and another 6 years of days sailing until we sold the boat. Replaced the WC head on our current boat with a PHII.

Why do you want to replace the heads. You should just be able to do a rebuild and get another 10 years before the next rebuild. The rebuild kits include everything that wears in the heads so you have virtually a new head after a rebuild. Besides, rebuilding a head is fun, yeah right???
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2010, 20:44   #3

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
the bases on both our raritan PHII heads cracked within a month of each other after 4 years.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2010, 21:17   #4

Boat: Morgan Out Island 416
Cracked bases on both heads; the piston on one head cracked, and wouldn't build up pressure to draw in flushing water - until I patched/resealed the piston face while in the Bahamas last year; the pump handle fitting has broken 2 or 3 times; leaking around the base, sometimes (but not always), even after replacing the base gasket; and more little things. Basically, after over 3 years full time living aboard (family of 4, two heads), I'm just ready (the admiral is even more ready) for new heads. I may still go with a new PHII, but at 1/2 the price we may try a Jabsco for a few months and if we like it replace the other with a Jabsco. At $60+, rebuild kits for the Raritan are 1/3 the price of a new Jabsco.

We're in a place where making this kind of change is not that hard. That's why we're considering it.
SV Liberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2010, 21:47   #5

Boat: Islander Freeport 36
We have a plain old Jabsco head that came with our boat, and I rebuilt it once...pretty easy. I have no experience with any other head, but ours works fine to me. I don't mind pumping the contents (I'm just glad I have a working head), but my wife doesn't like seeing the contents while she pumps it down. She would like a vacuum head where she would only have to push a button (must be a woman thing), but I don't really care myself. What would be nice is if the Jabsco bowl was a little more oval shaped, instead of the round shape it is. The oval shape feels more natural, and the contents seem to fit better.
JiffyLube is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jabsco, raritan