Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-11-2018, 19:26   #1

Jabsco toilet leaking from manual pump shaft

Hi
I have a leak from the oil seal that fits around the shaft . Only leaks while I'm pumping. I tride buying a normal oil seal and replace. The new seal workd fine for about 3 days and now it is leaking heavily . Ideally I don't want to buy this seal from jubsco because of the high price.
Any suggestions on this?
Thanks
sailor Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2018, 22:14   #2

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Re: Jabsco toilet leaking from manual pump shaft

Being cheap doesn't work on marine toilets. You have to bite the bullet.

First what condition is the shaft in? If it's rusty/scored a seal will never last. Buy a new shaft if need be. Part #29

The guide hole for the shaft. Is it worn out? IAWs out of round. If so you need a new guide assembly. Part #18

T handles, the pivot holes wear out which can cause misalignment, forcing the shaft off center.
T handles rely on your motion, not the best design.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2356.JPG
Views:	793
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	180748  
Old 16-11-2018, 22:29   #3

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

I have replaced that seal with OTC ones from the local seal and bearing shop many times over the years. I replace the little internal spring with an o-ring,but otherwise a standard (IIRC) 3/4" x 5/16" seal works fine. Normal life is ~ 8-12 months, full time live aboard couple.

No idea why yours should fail IF you got in in properly and without damaging it. Pretty simple device!

Jim
Old 17-11-2018, 14:23   #4
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

Buy the entire pump assembly for about $80. which includes a new joker valve. I replace mine every other year. Not worth fooling around with. A bad pump assembly can sink your boat!
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2018, 14:33   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumbs Up View Post
Buy the entire pump assembly for about $80. which includes a new joker valve. I replace mine every other year. Not worth fooling around with. A bad pump assembly can sink your boat!
Down here in Oz that pump assembly costs over 200 AUD and does not include a joker valve. The economics for renewing the seal (~2 AUD) are compelling for me, and my boat(s) have not sunk yet.

Jim
Old 17-11-2018, 20:18   #6

Thanks for replying !
The shaft is not worn or rusty. The housing for the seal is not the issue since it leaks from between the shaft and the seal.
Jim, you mentioned the dimensions of the seal in imperial method. I got my replacement by measuring it in the metric method so I might have been slightly off..? I am also here on Australia so I suppose they sell imberial method seals here.
Thanks!
sailor Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2018, 22:48   #7

G'Day Martin (if that's your real name),

Yes, the seal is in fractional inches and yes, available at most any seal purveyor here in Oz. Dunno where you are, but I purchased the last batch in Wynnum, Qld.

I'd have to do a big search to find the receipt, and the boat is all torn up for a project right now, so apologies, but for now you are on your own.

You could take the seal housing out of the pump and take it and the shaft to the seal shop. They can mike it and get you the right seal. Do remember to have them replace the spring with an o-ring... salt water destroys the springs in quick time!

Jim
Old 18-11-2018, 09:48   #8

at the beginning of every season I smear the shaft and seal with Vaseline (pure petroleum jelly), take the top off and smear all the way up and down the shaft. The vaseline helps seal the water out and also makes the pumping easier
Paul Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2018, 10:09   #9
CLOD

Boat: none

Is it really worth the time and trouble to run around getting a replacement seal other than just getting an OEM seal?

I know for me the answer isn’t no, it’s hell no!
Old 18-11-2018, 11:10   #10

Boat: Casacde 36

That's interesting. I've never seen the seal corrode, Usually it fails because of normal wear, which I have seen under a strong magnifier.
I have used after-market seals, from an industrial supplier, which generally last me a couple of years. (We liveaboard for 4 to 6 months)
Now, I have reverted to just installing a new kit every second year, then I don't have to deal with it while I'm out there.
01kiwijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2018, 11:31   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Is it really worth the time and trouble to run around getting a replacement seal other than just getting an OEM seal?

I know for me the answer isn’t no, it’s hell no!
All depends on your idea of economy, SB. Here in Oz that seal isn't available from Jabsco all on its own. You have to buy the seal assembly, and it costs around 35 AUD. Reducing that to ~2 AUD is helpful to some budgets, and to some folks sense of self respect, too.

And running around? Well, ya gotta "run around" some either way... to the seal shop or the chandlery, and guess what? The seal shop always has that simple and standard part, but the chandleries here in Oz often have to order in the seal assembly from Jabsco... a few more days of your head spitting salt water on the floor every time you pump.

For some of us, the answer is "hell yes".

Jim
Old 18-11-2018, 13:38   #12

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumbs Up View Post
This is what I do as well though my replacement cycle is closer to 3-4 years. And I carry a replacement assembly around with me as replacing the whole unit is a quick and easy job (unlike the rebuild kit).
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2018, 17:03   #13

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Howard View Post
at the beginning of every season I smear the shaft and seal with Vaseline (pure petroleum jelly), take the top off and smear all the way up and down the shaft. The vaseline helps seal the water out and also makes the pumping easier
It's a good thing I read this in the context of the rest of the thread.

Had I just read the above without knowing, well...
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2018, 20:54   #14

Lavac.
Yellowjacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2018, 21:01   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Down here in Oz that pump assembly costs over 200 AUD and does not include a joker valve. The economics for renewing the seal (~2 AUD) are compelling for me, and my boat(s) have not sunk yet.

Jim
Wow, $200 huh?
Thats a big difference. What do they do, send them over on a commercial flight with their own seat ? LOL!!!

Just for a laugh...whats a whole little jabsco head go for there.....like $600? More maybe?
Here It's $190 with free shipping on amazon. Reg bowl.
Allied39 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jabsco, oil, pump