Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-09-2012, 07:51   #31

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Re: Jabsco Toilet Issues?

Older bronze body Groco toilets pass the water from the pump thru a channel cast into the bowl. The anti-syphon valve goes in the INTAKE hose loop. In 14 yrs, mine has never failed.
Cheaper toilets with less efficient pumps may not lift water over the high point in an intake loop, but think about it, it is the best place to break a syphon from the ocean.
Old 24-09-2012, 08:57   #32

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Blue Stocking, You can get away with a vent on the suction side because you either have a large piston or big diaphram in your toilet depending on if it is an EB or K toilet. You can overcome the little amount of air the vent lets into the intake line. Toilets with smaller pumps have a harder time doing it. That's why Jabsco recommends putting it between the pump and the bowl. The Groco EB and K are excellent toilets. I have a K on my boat. It's more than twenty years old. You are actually in less danger of intake flooding than those with toilets, like the Jabsco, that have manually controlled intake valves. You can't accidentally leave the intake valve open. The spring loaded foot pedal closes it automatically.
Old 24-09-2012, 12:08   #33

Hopcar, I'm with you all the way. Have an EB for 14 yrs. Pump chamber displaces enough volume per stroke to overcome induction of air thru anti-syphon.
Shame they don't build the 2 models any longer.
We dont use holding tanks here (save it folks) , I tell all the 3-3-10 +7 rule. 3 sheets,3 times, 10 pumps to clear+ then 7 more, as you pointed out.
Old 24-09-2012, 14:16   #34

Boat: Maxim 38 ft catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
i havent but i know its history, as it was next door for 4 yrs and i supported the owner while i worked and he suffered in painful extreme low income situation. i met this boat in 2004 when it came from ventura area to sd and was placed on a mooring exactly next to me. is a great way to know a boat. especially when i helped the guy during my extremely wonderful working years--had a great last 5 yrs with incomes over 90k so i could afford to support folks like boat bums, mechanics, electricians, bottom cleaners, etc. on a regular basis. yes i know this boat. and she has a welll written history.
yes i know my jabsco head system, also--works well--even worked decent when the pump was stuffed full of eel grass..LOL
WOW you could even afford a bottom cleaner on $90k-Guess no need to fix the Jabsco.
Anyone know of an Aussie supplier,my current buy price is Pump complete-$189 repair kit $89,note USA pump $60????
Jacana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2012, 16:09   #35

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Here you go - $63. Ask him if shipping is less than $120.

Jabsco Toilet Pump - 29040-3000

The more you Aussies post, the more I appreciate that I do not have to buy marine gear in your country. It sounds like you guys pay a very high premium over the rest of the world for some reason.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2012, 19:56   #36

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Mark, Thanks for the plug!

Jacana, we do ship overseas. If you're interested in buying the replacement pump, I'll be glad to figure the shipping cost. I think it would be less than fifty dollars by Priority Mail.
You can email me through our website: www.hopkins-carter.com
Old 25-09-2012, 07:59   #37

Boat: Freedom Express 39 cat ketch
Having acquired a new to me boat with a head that didn't work, I planned to take the fast cheap way out and toss in an inexpensive Jabsco. That was until I was "educated" that the Groco K on it was worth rebuilding. I took on the task and am very impressed with the design and seemingly overbuilt construction. It moves an amazing amount of volume with very little effort from the handle. I do not have a vented loop on the intake side but strongly believe this unit would easily pull water through one.
Rubikoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2012, 14:28   #38

Boat: Maxim 38 ft catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Mark, Thanks for the plug!

Jacana, we do ship overseas. If you're interested in buying the replacement pump, I'll be glad to figure the shipping cost. I think it would be less than fifty dollars by Priority Mail.
You can email me through our website: www.hopkins-carter.com
Thanks Hopcar,will do.Cheers Geoff.
Jacana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2012, 15:59   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubikoop View Post
Having acquired a new to me boat with a head that didn't work, I planned to take the fast cheap way out and toss in an inexpensive Jabsco. That was until I was "educated" that the Groco K on it was worth rebuilding. I took on the task and am very impressed with the design and seemingly overbuilt construction. It moves an amazing amount of volume with very little effort from the handle. I do not have a vented loop on the intake side but strongly believe this unit would easily pull water through one.
--easily pull water over the hump with a vent in the intake line.
Very good head, check the woodruff key on the foot pedal cam, it is the weak point on the EB model.
See my earlier post.

Tags
jabsco