Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2010, 10:56   #1
fvn

Boat: Manta 42
Jabsco Quiet Flush Toilet

Has anyone experience on running this electric toilet with salt water instead of fresh water?
I do not like the idea of spending good water for flushing toilet.
Brochure say yes but I would like to a feedback from someone that really did it.
Thanks
fvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 11:23   #2
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
i would not opt to do that with mine, for any number of reasons.

When salt water combines with urine, it tends to crystallize inside the sanitation lines. On the Quiet Flush, the line that goes from the toilet macerator to the holding tank has a fairly small inside diameter. this line will constrict fairly quickly when you switch over to salt-water flushing.

While you'll be conserving fresh water, the unfortunate side effect will be the sulfuric smell of decaying organisms that have died in the line when it sits for a few days, as well as a holding tank that goes septic far more easily because of all the salt water you're introducing.

Granted, a Quiet Flush system only makes sense on a boat with a large freshwater capacity and/or a watermaking system. Given that, it's a great system. But I wouldn't want to use it with salt water flushing.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:44   #3

Boat: Allures 44
We only run salt water through ours. Works just fine. Any problems tend to crop up on the discharge side, in our experience, or with the motor.

The salt water comes via a thru-hull valve and then through the ball valve at the toilet itself (for filling or emptying the bowl). When not using the toilet we close the ball valve. When leaving the boat we also close the thru-hull.

I understand that salt water is supposed to be more conducive to bacteria growth in the holding tank, thus creating more smell. Maybe, but a little holding tank treatment works just fine for us. We just add a few ounces after emptying the tank.

After about 5 years of use, we had to break up and remove the cake deposits in the discharge line and the holding tank. Could these deposits have been aggravated by the salt water? Maybe, maybe not. In any case, now we flush a dose of white vinegar down the toilet every few weeks, after emptying the holding tank, in hopes of washing away that cake buildup.
cfarrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 11:49   #4

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 15.5m
I don't have the quiet flush, but recently (end of May) replaced the manual w/electric motor upgrade with a true Jabsco electric flush toilet, which I believe is similar except the rinse water pump is integral to the single motor, vs. separately plumbed. The old electric upgrade was still working after being onboard for who knows how long, but we wanted to upgrade to a full size toilet.

It's been hooked up to salt water, no issues. It doesn't sit for extended periods as we're living aboard, and I tend to flush longer since I'm not worried about water usage to ensure all lines are flushed clean. It still sees a vinegar clean a few times a year to help ensure no buildup.
Troubadour52993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 12:04   #5

Boat: Allures 44
In reference to Bash's response, I fully admit that the cake / crystal build is a hassle. The first thing it did was clog up the floats on the holding tank monitor. Ultimately, however, it will not only take up valuable space in your holding tank, but it will clog up your discharge lines, creating back pressure, preventing a clean flush.

It's easy enough to remove the discharge lines and beat them against a rock to remove the build up. The holding tank is trickier. How to get the deposits out through the inspection port without removing the tank? We welded ourselves two tools, each on about 30 inches of square rod. The first is a "chopper" and the other is a "scoop!"

Fresh water isn't an option for us, since we don't have a water maker and live on the mooring or the hook. So, we're hoping that the vinegar helps delay buildup in the future. Also, we switched to the Fireboy monitor recommended by Practical Sailor. No float to clog up (works by sensing static pressure against a column of air in a tube).
cfarrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 18:06   #6
fvn

make sense but

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
i would not opt to do that with mine, for any number of reasons.

When salt water combines with urine, it tends to crystallize inside the sanitation lines. On the Quiet Flush, the line that goes from the toilet macerator to the holding tank has a fairly small inside diameter. this line will constrict fairly quickly when you switch over to salt-water flushing.

While you'll be conserving fresh water, the unfortunate side effect will be the sulfuric smell of decaying organisms that have died in the line when it sits for a few days, as well as a holding tank that goes septic far more easily because of all the salt water you're introducing.

Granted, a Quiet Flush system only makes sense on a boat with a large freshwater capacity and/or a watermaking system. Given that, it's a great system. But I wouldn't want to use it with salt water flushing.
Thanks for the explanation. It make sense but same Jabsco makes two models. One that has a solenoid valve to connect to an existing pressure system. (according to them can either run on fresh water or sea water, I.E. deck-wash)
The other model comes with its own self priming pump to be connected to a dedicated through hull. What I was trying to understand is if with the exception of the intake system all the rest of the toilet (pump, macerator etc) is the same.
The system is already in place and would like to modify to my needs.
I do prefer to service (or change) a piece of hose once in a while than have to run extra ours the water-maker. Holding tank is not an issue, we do not use it very much.
Old 01-08-2010, 19:11   #7
CF Adviser

please let us know how the conversion went, once you've lived with it a while.
Old 01-08-2010, 19:19   #8
fvn

not that easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
please let us know how the conversion went, once you've lived with it a while.
Thanks, but first I have to buy the boat.
I am investigating the few issue I find on her to make the decision.
Thanks anyway
Old 01-08-2010, 21:07   #9
CF Adviser

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvn View Post
Thanks, but first I have to buy the boat.
I am investigating the few issue I find on her to make the decision.
Thanks anyway
Ah. I see. In that case, consider the possibility that fresh-water flushing may indeed be something really cool to have.

Tags
flushing, jabsco