Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2011, 22:13   #1

Jabsco Quiet Flush

Installed this model last yr as advertised to be very quiet in operation.
Somewhat dissapointed that is is loud, was expecting a lot quieter. Has anyone replaced their regular electric head to a Quiet flush model and noticed it to be more quiet? Only difference I see between the 2 is the entry point of the incoming water. I changed over from the manual pump model to this Quiet Flush, over the standard electric flush model, in hopes for the non-announceing head usage, so I may not appeciate the quietness of this model, if indeed so.

Thanks
US1Fountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2011, 06:37   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Jabsco Quiet Flush

All raw (sea, lake, river) water electric toilets are a lot noisier than toilets designed to use pressurized flush water...'cuz contrary to what most people believe, it's not the discharge impeller and macerator that make all the noise, it's the intake pump. Fresh water toilets are quieter because they don't have an intake pump working to pull water into the bowl...they have a solenoid valve that opens and closes to LET water into it.

Noise levels from both toilet versions can also vary widely on different boats due to "sweet spots" in the hull that resonate more than others. If it's really annoying, mounting the toilet on at least 1/2" of sound absorbing foam may help.
peghall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2011, 11:40   #3

Thank You Peggie.
Yes, mine has the solenoid. Now that you mentioned it, I'm more inclined to believe it is a sound resonating issue considering that the complete bathroom is a 1 piece FG unit. I'll look into some type of isolating base material.
Old 28-02-2011, 13:30   #4
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

If you have teh Quiet flush then presumably you have the feed pump some distance away to lower noise or are using the boats pressuried water system as a feed. This will lower the noise. The remaining noise is the macerator, which does have a tendency to resonate. The only real jabsco solution is to replace it with a diafram waste pump, these are very quite, but of course theres no macerating action. so the chance of blockage between the toilet and the pump is greater.

Dave
Old 28-02-2011, 15:03   #5
Marine Service Provider

A macerator is just a "blender blade" installed just ahead of the discharge impeller...and it's the impeller that makes most of the noise, though not nearly as much noise as an intake impeller makes. And fwiw, Jabsco's "Quiet Flush" toilets aren't particularly quiet...the ones PS tested were noisier than the sea water version of the Raritan SeaEra!

If you think an electric diaphragm pump is quiet, you've obviously never lived with the Vacuflush vacuum pump under your berth! A "night switch" in the head to turn off power to it is mandatory! And a diaphragm water pump resonating on a "sweet spot" is worse than having a woodpecker on the boat!
peghall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2011, 15:25   #6

Yes, using the fresh water tank as supply. That FW pump is quiet and not the problem. When I finished the install, I did hit the 'macerator only option' switch a couple seconds to check wiring and was very pleased at how quiet it was. Course this was with a dry bowl, no water, so just a free spinning motor. Even when just rinsing, liquid only, it sounds like a garbage disposal, leading me to now believe the macerator or discharge impellor, in a loaded state does transfer that resistance to the base mounting surface.... the full 1 piece bath floor/wall/ceiling unit, which I'm leaning towards being the amplifier here. It would be interesting to unbolt the toilet from the floor and suspend it so as to have no contact with the floor, and flush to see what happens.
Old 28-02-2011, 15:33   #7

Boat: Catalina 27 - Handyman NO# 1229771
Send a message via MSN to tallyhorob

was looking at installing that model on my boat, after the PS report might go another route
tallyhorob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2011, 15:34   #8
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

I have too jabsco electrics on board, both are very noisy, but I like them and they are reliable and not prone to blockage, even less prone then the manual ones I beleive. Noise seesm to come from both the water and air being sucked in and also that the motors are just not that quiet. Mine are also on a GRP upstand and this doesnt help.

I did see a demonstartion of the new Jabsco diaphragm pump ( which is very different to the double acting water ones). Its more like a motorised Whale gusher. It seems very quiet and generates enough suction so that it can be positioned away from the bowl. However I dont like it for reasons already posted.

Dave
Old 28-02-2011, 16:13   #9
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast

I recently, finally, got fed up with that POS Jabsco Quiet Flush with which I've been battling for 3 years. Thanks to Peggie's recommendations read on another forum, I replaced it with a Raritan SeaEra conversion kit. It lets you keep the Jabsco bowl and replace just the lower unit where all the action takes place. Much cheaper than a whole new unit and everything matches up. Even the bolt patterns.

The quality difference in the components is immediately apparent. The whole removal and replacement took about an hour to 90 minutes. The Raritan is noticeably quieter (it is a sea water unit), but with the intake pump, it is not silent.

The Jabsco went to where I think it belonged all the time -- the dumpster.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 00:09   #10

Boat: 1998 Amel 53 SuperMaramu
Send a message via Skype™ to drdavegoodman

Anyone have a problem with the Jabsco macerator cover getting stuck in the base of the Jabsco Quiet Flush toilet?
drdavegoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 14:21   #11

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

No. *grin*
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 22:12   #12

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Bahia 46 Maestro

We have a brand new Jabsco Standard Flush and a brand new Jabsco Quiet Flush fitted, 1 in each hull. The quiet flush is noticeably quieter than the standard but still by no means quiet. It does have a separate intake pump located away from the mascerator motor. It also uses a duel switch that will enable me to fill the bowl right up with the intake pump before using the full flush option. I find this makes a huge difference to the noise produced as it eliminates the extra air intake noise being sucked into the bowl. The Raritan (and others) were certainly alot quieter but we found it hard to justify the price, being from double, to up to four times the price of the Jabsco.

Lisa.
Kiwikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2011, 15:46   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwikat View Post
...... It also uses a duel switch that will enable me to fill the bowl right up with the intake pump before using the full flush option. I find this makes a huge difference to the noise produced as it eliminates the extra air intake noise being sucked into the bowl......
Lisa.

Yes, I've noticed that too. I've also noticed that while it to be pretty noisy in the head compartment, in the cabin it's not that bad. Standing on dock next to the boat, the noise is hardly noticeable. Which is great for not announcing to my slip neighbors of the head usage.
With our marina pumpout station being just 200' from my slip, I use more than normal amount of flush water and just pump out more often.
Old 30-03-2013, 09:42   #14

Opening the macerator pump on a newly installed toilet (due to an improperly fitted seal) I noticed that the macerator knife blade (chopper plate - Jabsco part no. 37056-1000) was loose below the self locking nut. It does not get anywhere and will probably do its job but I wonder if this is as it shoul be.

Eivind
eivindch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 17:04   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

We have 2 Jabsco Quiet Flush toilets. Wish I'd known about the conversion noted above, before spending a bunch of bucks rebuilding one of these POSs.

We have fresh water flush toilets. They have a fatal design flaw. There's a solenoid that turns on the fresh water, for the flush. If ANY tiny particle gets into it, it gets suck ON, flooding the toilet. What a stupid design. We finally put a sediment filter into our fresh water system, but had the filter element blow out a few weeks ago. Getting to the solenoid is no easy task. Oh yeah - we replaced it a few months ago, thinking it was failing. At $125, it wasn't the problem.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flushing, jabsco