Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2014, 03:40   #1

Boat: Jeanneau 43DS
Jabsco lite flush

Had a new jabsco lite flush electric loo fitted just a couple of months ago. It's stopped pumping out! You can hear the motor running but the macerator doesn't seem to be turning.

Fitters didn't leave manual on board and can't find anything on line.

There is no obvious way of getting at the problem area without removing loo!

Any and all problems encountered with this unit appreciated especially if you found a quick fix.

For record we were just pumping seawater through to flush pipes so it's not as if there was anything down there that it couldn't cope with
Alenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2014, 04:54   #2
cruiser

Re: Jabsco lite flush

Had the same thing happen when a guest flushed a tampon down the head (WTF were they thinking?).

Don't worry, it's easy to remove the electric macerator motor from the backside of the unit without removing the head. Something's probably wrapped around the chopper blades. Shut off the water supply and exit hoses, then remove the four small screws. Be careful not to loose the "O" ring gasket. If there's no obstruction at the macerator, you'll need to dig a little deeper into the problem... probably with a plumbers snake. Probably a clogged hose. If the motor has seized, you should be able to find a replacement at your next chandlery. It's always a good idea to carry a couple of spare motors.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2014, 05:16   #3

Boat: Jeanneau 43DS

Position of unit makes it impossible to see back but fingers crossed it is nothing more than undoing four fixing bolts sliding out and performing the maintenance you suggest.

Unless something has fallen in whilst sailing pretty sure it's nothing we have put down. Our diet ain't that strange !

Thanks for info
Alenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2014, 05:25   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

Any use to you?

http://www.xylemflowcontrol.com/files/58500-xxxx.pdf
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2014, 06:37   #5

If you actually have the flush lite head. Mostly likely problem is a broken belt the drives the macerstor. Jabsco part 58541 1000 about $50 us. Comes in a kit with the pullies. That head disassembles from the top. Bowel comes out leaving access to the mechanicals
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2014, 11:27   #6

I'm confident that I know your predicament. Infact I had to fix the same problem while I was in Hong Kong this summer. I hope your climate is better than mine was (48C (118F) with the humidity) working on a head! I digress...

The belt that drives the macerator pump has been stripped. If you can find a new belt, replace it and you're good to go. It is a big job. I found it best to disconnect the entire unit and pull everything apart. I used the opportunity to clean everything out.

Likely cause, too much mountain money in the bowl.

Have fun.

Never trade luck for skill,

OM
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jabsco1.jpeg
Views:	1673
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	88962   Click image for larger version

Name:	jabsco2.jpeg
Views:	741
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	88963  

Mach.80 to 8Kts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2014, 11:45   #7

I am a full time . live aboard and I am only getting about 4 months out of a new belt. This design sucks, and i have.had.enough. I am gonna toss it
Old 29-09-2014, 12:10   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

Have to admit, that belt does look a bit flimsy.

Might be worth your while to write a nice letter to Jabsco and point out how many belts you have had to replace. For one, they may look at a better design, or materials, and two, you might get some recompense.
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2014, 12:39   #9

Boat: csy 37

Agree. That belt looks woefully undersized. Would have cost them nothing to put on a heavier belt, but maybe they intended it to be the "fuse" that blows when the motor gets overloaded. Glad I bought a Raritan. Ten years on and all I've ever done to it is replace a pump piston O-ring.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2014, 06:45   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
maybe they intended it to be the "fuse" that blows when the motor gets overloaded
I had the same thought. The belt seems to be the weakest link in the system. I would rather be replacing belts than electric motors. Mind you, the macerator could use an upgrade as well. Likely too expensive, but high tensile strength ceramic macerator (like ceramic knives) with a kevlar belt would be the way to go.

If you are able to get your hands on some spare belts, get more than one. I found it really hard to find any. I wrote to xylem in the UK and they said that those parts are backed up; pardon the pun.

Cheers,

OM
Mach.80 to 8Kts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2014, 08:11   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

This is a useful website for solving many Jabsco problems. The engineers at Jabsco put it together, not the marketing guys.
Jabsco Technical Support

Should I be stocking that belt? How many of the Lite Flush toilets are out there?
Old 30-09-2014, 08:51   #12

tried to find the belt just by itself. It must be a proprietary item. the kit from Jabsco which includes the two pulleys is $50 the problem is there's always a three or four week wait, a long time if your head is not functioning
Old 01-10-2014, 14:46   #13

Boat: csy 37

Google drive belts. There are suppliers out there who carry a vast assortment of belts at greatly reduced prices. I've used them in the past with great results. You will have to measure your belt.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2014, 02:03   #14

has anyone had a problem with the jabsco light flush toilet making a knocking noise when it empties - we have change the belt three times up to now and the toilet was only fitted in may 2014 - and if you have changed the belt how did you change the wheel ? thanks in advance !!
spicy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2014, 07:47   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Spicy, contact Jabsco and ask for tech support. They are really good about supporting their products.

Tags
jabsco