Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2012, 05:32   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: jabsco joker valve an annual replacement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Anyone have an exploded view of the small pot manual Jabsco? Grey handle 2007 model?
Googled a bit and can't come up with one yet.
Last page ➥ http://ec1.images-amazon.com/media/i...0000001680.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:13   #17
Marine Service Provider

Joker valve in manual toilet should be replaced annually...here's why:

JOKER VALVE 101

Most people think that the only thing the joker valve does is act as a check valve to stop backflow from returning to the toilet or odor from the tank from escaping through the toilet. But that's not a joker valve's most important function...in fact, the joker valve is THE single most important replaceable part in a manual toilet.

Here’s how the discharge half of the pump works: On the upstroke of the piston, a vacuum is created in the area beneath the piston. This causes the joker valve to close tightly, and the flapper valve beneath the pump to open, allowing some of the contents of the toilet bowl to be drawn into the bottom half of the pump. Then, on the down stroke of the piston, the flapper valve is slammed shut, and the effluent is forced out of the bottom of the pump, through the joker valve, and off down the line. But when the joker valve becomes worn and/or there's a buildup of sea water minerals on it, it can no longer seal tightly on the upstroke of the piston...less vacuum is generated when you pump it. And as it becomes more worn less and less vacuum, till finally the bowl contents simply move up and down a bit, but don't go anywhere. Sometimes the flapper valve needs to be replaced too, which is why toilets should also be rebuilt at least every 5-6 years as PREVENTIVE MAINTENANCE.

You prob'ly won't notice the loss of efficiency at first because it's so gradual...same as we don't see that we've gotten a little older than we were yesterday when we look in the mirror each morning. But I guarantee you that if it's been two years or longer since you replaced the joker valve, you need to pump the toilet at least 50% more times to move the bowl contents to the tank or all the way out the thru-hull....IF they're getting there at all any more.

Marine toilets have moving parts that require maintenance. PREVENTIVE maintenance is called that because it PREVENTS problems that have to be fixed. You get to do PREVENTIVE maintenance on YOUR terms, when it's convenient for YOU...unlike repairs, which NEVER are needed at a convenient time.
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:13   #18

Boat: Oyster 45

Peggy,
As usual your knowledge of sanitation systems knows no bounds.
Can you take the joker valve out periodically and give it a good clean or should it always be replaced?

What is your view on using Hydrochloric acid occasionally to clean the pump and pipes out. It certainly causes a few bubbles and on the two toilets I have just stripped it seemed to have no bad effect on the working parts.

Incidentally I replaced our electrical toilet with a manual as it decided to start on its own at 4 in the morning and by the time I hit the kill switch it was smoking nicely. Just glad we were on the boat.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:24   #19

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostrodamus View Post
Peggy,

Can you take the joker valve out periodically and give it a good clean or should it always be replaced?

I change mine annually and have had no problems with backflow on two Jabscos. Tried the cleaning bit but it doesn't work. When you put a new joker valve in and tighten the two screws the rubber compresses and forms a memory on the flange. If you remove it and put it back in you will usually get a leak because the the lip of the joker valve has been compressed a bit and will not fit exactly as before. You must be very careful about over tightening the flange because it will crack.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:31   #20

Took the plunge, so to say, and replaced the suspect joker valve today....and voila, no back flow....took a guess that flapper was ok. Tnx all for dialog this topic...informative and helpful to hear differing perspectives.
Bob on OTTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:09   #21

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 31 - Cielo Azul

Quote:
Originally Posted by D&D View Post
We might now add the cooking oil and vinegar as further preventative maintenance...
I was told that using oil will cause it to coat the insides of the plumbing resulting in debris sticking to the inside, causing rapid clogging.
Vinegar is ok, but requires hours and has limited effectiveness, I use CLR when I really want to clean it, it's environment friendly.
Tom
teejayevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:22   #22

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Anyone have an exploded view of the small pot manual Jabsco? Grey handle 2007 model?

Googled a bit and can't come up with one yet.
http://www.xylemflowcontrol.com/files/itemdoc142681.pdf
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 13:38   #23

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

Drink more Rum, eat more prunes, and your valve will give you years of fun.
Old 11-05-2012, 17:32   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Complete replacement pumps for Jabsco manual toilets are pretty reasonable.
Jabsco Toilet Pump - 29040-3000
Old 11-05-2012, 17:47   #25
Marine Service Provider

Whyizzit that everybody asks/complains about CURING problems, but it never occurs to anyone to ask about PREVENTING 'em????

You're right...vinegar isn't the best cure for mineral buildup in hoses, but a cupful of distilled white vinegar flushed through the system once a week will prevent it...eliminating the need for a cure.

As for oil...yes, it can coat the inside of the hose and trap debris...but unless you add more with each flush, flushing rinses it out.

And as for CLR..it's not QUITE as environmentally friendly as you think it is. Two of the five ingredients in it are classified by OSHA as hazardous. I suggest you use muriatic (hydrochloric) acid instead...it does a better job without harm to your system OR the environment.
Old 11-05-2012, 17:53   #26
Marine Service Provider

And for not much more, he can buy a PH II pump assembly that'll last up to 20 years instead of one that has to be replaced every year.
Old 11-05-2012, 18:02   #27
Marine Service Provider

Replace it...'cuz it's not just buildup...Every flush through it stretches the slit a tiny bit, so after about a year it can no longer close tightly. So it's not only boats in salt water that require annual joker valve replacement...those on boats in fresh water should also be replaced annually.

What is your view on using Hydrochloric acid occasionally to clean the pump and pipes out.

Muriatic (another name for hydrochloric) acid is the recommended descaler for sanitation equipment and plumbing 'cuz it won't harm any of the equipment. However, prevention is easier than cure: a cupful of undiluted distilled white vinegar flushed through the plumbing WEEKLY (not every few months or a couple of times a year--WEEKLY) followed after an hour with a quart of clean fresh water.
Old 11-05-2012, 18:03   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
.............. I suggest you use muriatic (hydrochloric) acid instead...it does a better job without harm to your system OR the environment.
I've replaced a mildly crusty joker valve with a new one and then rejuvenated the function of the removed valve by soaking it in muriatic acid. This left me with a supple spare and more longevity per valve.
Old 11-05-2012, 18:43   #29

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 31 - Cielo Azul

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
As for oil...yes, it can coat the inside of the hose and trap debris...but unless you add more with each flush, flushing rinses it out.
Not very well, oil and water don't mix, just running some water through won't rinse the oil off.
Tom
teejayevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 20:09   #30
Marine Service Provider

A tablespoon of oil down the toilet isn't quite the same as greasing a skillet...the film on the inside of the hose will be very thin...and water isn't the only thing going through the hoses.

Tags
jabsco, joker valve