Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2014, 17:41   #1

Boat: Viking 44
Jabsco heads

I installed two new pumps on my Jabsco electric heads last year. I stored the boat over the summer months in the water in Florida and now I'm back and the pumps are bringing water in but nothing is going out. Any ideas welcome.
edbulmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 20:44   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28
Re: Jabsco heads

Jabsco makes several different electric toilets. It would help to know which one you've got. However the first thing to do when a toilet won't discharge is look for a blockage.

Are you pumping over board or to a holding tank? If overboard, I'd first look for a blockage caused by growth in the thru-hull fitting. If into a tank, the vent might be blocked. Failing that there might be a blockage almost anywhere on the discharge side of the toilet. If the toilet is pumping in water, it's probably not a toilet problem but a blockage. You've just got to start looking. It's going to be nasty.

No, pouring vinegar and oil into the toilet will not fix it. Save it for salads.
Old 08-11-2014, 06:37   #3

Don't understand how they could be blocked. They were working fine when we left the boat. Could salt water block the hoses. And yes it is going into a holding tank. Wouldn't dream about pumping into the ocean or anywhere. As for type of Jabsco, it don't like their macerators-pumps so I got an aftermarket one from Two Oceans. They did work much better until we came back.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:48   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

You mentioned that the boat had been unused for some time. Sea growth can block a thru-hull fitting and mud dauber wasps can block a vent. Perhaps some sewage sat in the hose between the toilet and tank and hardened over time. That would be my best guess as to where the blockage is. Check the tank vent first as that is the easiest. Then start at the toilet Joker valve and work your way to the tank looking for blockages.

I didn't know anybody made an aftermarket replacement pump for Jabsco toilets. If there is a problem with the pump, I can't help you.
Old 08-11-2014, 13:06   #5

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

You have a very crappy job ahead of u. <BWAAAA-HAHAhahaha! Couldn't resist!>

You need to isolate the various parts of the system until you find the problem. To begin with, put a plastic basin under the output connection of the head, and open her up. This is also a good wau to check your vented loop for proper installation and operation lol! Try to flush. If nothing comes out, open up the Joker valve... If stuff does come out, then the problem is further downstream. See where I'm coming from?

A cannister type painting respirator blocks enough odors and gases to generally enable you to work without going all pukey. Open the boat up, of course.

You don't have the discharge side of the pump connected to the head, by any chance?

And so now I remember why I prefer manual heads, with a complete backup unit in the lazarette.

Oh, check the holding tank vent. Pump the tank out too, and leave the deck fitting open and try to flush again. Still got your respirator on? Disconnect the vent hose from the tank and poke a welding rod or coathanger wire down it.

BTw and off topic, welding rods are nearly as useful as duct tape, for rednecks and sailors.
Old 08-11-2014, 14:14   #6

Boat: 38 roberts ketch

In the 'prevention' department - I started treating my electric macerator dunny like an asian toilet after replacing the pump a few years ago - ie, nothing goes down but human products - it seems to be toilet paper that does the damage. After pulling the pump apart i was astounded at the size of the exit pipe, which reminded me of the warnings often seen in hotels in asia - "the pipes are very small, so please put all paper,tampons etc in the waste basket provided". The surprising thing is that after a few years of this i'e never had an odour problem from putting paper in the waste bin. If you dont like the sound of it, compare it to rolling up your sleeves in preparation to dismantling a full, blocked dunny.
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 14:35   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by edbulmer View Post
Don't understand how they could be blocked. They were working fine when we left the boat. Could salt water block the hoses. And yes it is going into a holding tank. Wouldn't dream about pumping into the ocean or anywhere. As for type of Jabsco, it don't like their macerators-pumps so I got an aftermarket one from Two Oceans. They did work much better until we came back.
You haven't given much to go on but I will take a shot...

- Two heads
- Two new pumps
- One holding tank(?)
- Water comes in but doesn't go out
- Pumps are "running"

It is unlikely that both pumps failed the output vanes. I would suggest it is something to do with the holding tank.

- The vent is not open or blocked and the pumps are working against a head pressure? Remove the output hose from one head and route it to a bucket and try it.
- Is there a reverse flow valve anywhere bewtween the output of the head and the holding tank? Reverse flow valve stuck/blocked.

Good luck...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 15:56   #8

Some great input there, thanks will do.
Old 12-11-2014, 18:53   #9

Re: Jabsco Heads

Problem found. I had used a manual snake and I thought it had taken care of anything in the lines. But after the heads still wouldn't empty and after much grief checking pumps, checking vents,I finally tried a powered snake and it worked. So I would always recommend a powered snake to clean lines. Thanks to all who offered advice, I am grateful for this wonderful forum.

Tags
head, jabsco