Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2018, 11:07   #1

Boat: Lagoon 450 Sportop
Jabsco Electric Toilet Conversion to Fresh Water

Our Lagoon 450S has Jabsco's quiet flush electric toilets. In order to minimize any odor issues, I have considered converting to fresh water flush.

The conversion seems pretty straight forward as the Quiet electric flush has all the necessary switches and wiring. With the addition of using Jabsco's solenoid/antisiphon valve between a fresh water supply point and the toilet's rinse intake. I would close off the sea input and eliminate the need of the sea water pump. Maybe implement a y-valve to provide a choice between fresh/sea if ever needed. Wiring of the sea water pump is the same as to the solenoid.

With just two on board full time, and guests sometimes, and 184 gal freshwater tanks, and a 26 gal/hr watermaker, this seems like a good approach to me.

Am I missing anything?

geekoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 11:15   #2

Boat: Tartan 4100
Re: Jabsco Electric Toilet Conversion to Fresh Water

Avoiding contamination of your freshwater system is the primary concern. Jabsco has a conversion kit specifically for converting to pressurized fresh water -Model No.: 37055-Series. I'd check that out.

dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 11:44   #3

Thanks for the quick reply.

I'm familiar with the conversion kit. The one you noted is manual/sea to electric/fresh. Which adds the solenoid/anti-siphon, a electric macerator/pump for outflow, and switches. I already have the macerator/pump and switches.
Old 08-03-2018, 12:17   #4
Marine Service Provider

Our Lagoon 450S has Jabsco's quiet flush electric toilets. In order to minimize any odor issues, I have considered converting to fresh water flush.

If your head drain thru-hulls are below waterline, there's an easier solution that doesn't put your potable water supply at risk: Reroute the flush water inlet line to tee into the head sink drain line. The tee needs to be below waterline as close to the seacock as possible. This allows you to continue flushing with sea water--thus conserving your fresh water--except when in coastal waters that are too skanky to want to use, but provides a safe source of fresh water to rinse all the sea water out of the system before the boat will sit, or even daily if you want to: simply close the sink drain thru-hull, fill the sink with clean fresh water, flush the toilet. Because the seacock is closed, the toilet will pull the water out of the sink , rinsing out the entire system--inlet line, channel in the rim of the bowl, pump assembly and toilet discharge line. Total cost: the price of a tee fitting.

Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 13:03   #5

Thanks Peggy. I had picked up on that advice in this forum and was going to check out the sink/thru-hull/toilet configurations (there are 3 on board) next time we are on board.

One item I had not picked up on in the earlier mentions of this method, was how often does the "close the sink drain thru-hull, fill sink with fresh water, run the toilet rinse and flush, open the sink drain thru-hull" process need to be performed to eliminate/prevent the smells?
Old 08-03-2018, 14:52   #6
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekoman View Post
One item I had not picked up on in the earlier mentions of this method, was how often does the "close the sink drain thru-hull, fill sink with fresh water, run the toilet rinse and flush, open the sink drain thru-hull" process need to be performed to eliminate/prevent the smells?
As often as you think necessary. Most "weekend warriors" only find it necessary to rinse out the system last thing before the boat will sit. Liveaboards in some waters rarely need to because their sea water is pretty clean and the toilet is used so often that it doesn't have time to stagnate and stink. Others may be happier rinsing out the system last thing before going to bed every night. Let your nose decide. An ounce of Raritan C.P. in the sinkful of water will eliminate any odor if you've waited too long.
Old 09-03-2018, 08:54   #7

Boat: Boatless - sold Lagoon 450

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekoman View Post

The conversion seems pretty straight forward as the Quiet electric flush has all the necessary switches and wiring. With the addition of using Jabsco's solenoid/antisiphon valve between a fresh water supply point and the toilet's rinse intake. I would close off the sea input and eliminate the need of the sea water pump. Maybe implement a y-valve to provide a choice between fresh/sea if ever needed. Wiring of the sea water pump is the same as to the solenoid.

With just two on board full time, and guests sometimes, and 184 gal freshwater tanks, and a 26 gal/hr watermaker, this seems like a good approach to me.

Am I missing anything?
We paid a company in La Rochelle to allow the system to accept fresh water and still use salt water. There was a Y valve under the sink we would switch depending on what water source we wanted to use. It just happens we always used fresh water. We also had a Dessalator DUO 100 water maker as our fresh water source. We kept the salt water option as a back up, in case we lost access to fresh water. Never had an issue with fresh water contamination, etc.

We would do it all over again when the time comes.
sailingforfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 10:20   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Alerion Express 38 Yawl (former)

I think you are on the right track. I pulled out my old Raritan PH-II head about three years ago and put in exactly the head you are considering. The fresh water flush has reduced odors to practically non-existent. I considered, but did not install a SW flush option, but we mostly daysail and weekend, so water consumption is not a big deal.

Chuck
Alerion Express 38 Yawl "Surprise"
Chuck Hawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 11:34   #9

So, Sailingforfun,

On you implementation, a switch over from fresh to salt would require
1) the Y valve switch over to change water source, and
2) an electrical switch over to change push button activation from freshwater solenoid open to sea water pump turn-on.

Right?
Old 10-03-2018, 08:06   #10

I would think a simple toggle switch in the power-in wire to feed either the freshwater switch or to the sea water pump would work. Or if you really wanted a clean look, replace the on/off rocker switch in the Jabsco switch pad to a on/off/on and feed the new 'on' position to your sw pump.

I had the FW quiet flush on my previous boat. Never had a single problem with it. With the solenoid valve and how the supply water is supplied to the toilet itself, I fail to see how its there is any possibility at of contamination. There is no direct connection between the inlet and discharge circuits.

edited, just noticed you mention you have the push button. I was considering the dual rocker switch pad that comes with the F/W Q/F system.
US1Fountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 09:54   #11
Marine Service Provider

With the solenoid valve and how the supply water is supplied to the toilet itself, I fail to see how its there is any possibility at of contamination. There is no direct connection between the inlet and discharge circuits.

There's no more risk of contaminating the fresh water with bowl contents than there is with any toilet designed to use pressurized water. But when sea water and salt water connect to the same inlet fitting on the bowl, there's a risk of contaminating the fresh water supply with sea water if the y-valve in the inlet line leaks. As long as the water pump remains on, the fresh water supply to the toilet remains pressurized...next to -0- risk. But in the even of a leaky valve, there's nothing preventing sea water from getting into the inlet line when the fresh water line isn't pressurized. That's why toilets designed to use both have two separate inlet fittings on the bowl.
Old 10-03-2018, 12:51   #12

gotcha. I didnt think of the freshwater/seawater mix. Was thinking of the bowl contents finding its way back to the FW tank. Learn something everyday
US1Fountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 19:53   #13

Boat: PDQ 44i

We agree that fresh water flush is an important part of a complete program to eliminate smelly heads. Our ship is equipped with Jabsco fresh water flushing heads designed to draw flush water from our fresh water tanks. But we rarely use fresh water from our tanks to flush our heads.

How do we do that? We have plenty of gray water from collecting rain off the Bimini, saving dishwashing water, hand-washing water, and catching much of the fresh water that we use to rinse off the salt after we swim. Carry that gray water in a bottle or bucket and pour it into the top - yes the part of the toilet you sit on - while holding the flush button. You get an infinitely better flush that way than you do by pumping fresh water from the ship's tanks, and at the same time you save fresh water and still have the odor-reducing benefits of fresh water flushing.

Try it. You may find that you don't need to re-plumb your heads after all.

doublewide is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, jabsco, water, oil