Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2015, 06:48   #1

Boat: 2000 Mainship 390
Jabsco electric flush question

my new to me Mainship trawler has a jabsco electric toilet in the head. Based upon the color of the water I see that it seems to "reuse" some of the outbound water when flushing after "solid waste"
I am just wondering if that's normal or if I have some cross contamination I should deal with.
ricktara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2015, 07:39   #2

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Re: Jabsco electric flush question

It could depend on which model you have, and whether it's a freshwater flush or raw water flush...

But if it's an electric freshwater model (e.g., Quiet Flush) then it's possible some of the discharge is simple coming back in past the joker (duckbill) valve at the base of the bowl at the entrance to the discharge hose. It's purpose is to prevent slight backflow -- liquid and vapor -- after a flush. Takes about 2 minutes to replace it.

In the meantime, flush more, with more water, to get the discharge "over the hump" of the discharge hose en route the holding tank. That way any backflow will at least be cleaner...

-Chris
Old 26-07-2015, 08:09   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

No toilet is designed to re-use flushed water. If sewage is re-entering the bowl, you have a problem that should be fixed.

Are you sure it's sewage and not just that the boat is sitting in brown water?
Old 26-07-2015, 08:09   #4

Thanks. It is a model 370100 I think. Anyway it is a seawater flush.
Old 26-07-2015, 08:11   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
No toilet is designed to re-use flushed water. If sewage is re-entering the bowl, you have a problem that should be fixed.
Thanks, will look into rebuilding it
Old 26-07-2015, 08:58   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Since it's a raw water flush, be sure the water you're sitting in isn't a little brownish to begin with.

If you're sure it's sewage, that toilet drives both the intake pump and discharge pump from the same shaft. There is a plate with a seal that separates them. If the seal leaks you can recirculate some sewage.

Here is a link to the instructions and parts list: http://www.xylemflowcontrol.com/file...43000-0612.pdf

If you don't want to mess with rebuilding it, you can buy a replacement motor / pump assembly: Jabsco 37041-0010 Toilet Motor / Pump Assembly 12 v.
Old 26-07-2015, 11:29   #7
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricktara View Post
my new to me Mainship trawler has a jabsco electric toilet in the head. Based upon the color of the water I see that it seems to "reuse" some of the outbound water when flushing after "solid waste"
I am just wondering if that's normal or if I have some cross contamination I should deal with.
If you flush into a holding tank, you may have a blocked tank vent that's pressurizing the system, creating backpressure. The most common locations for a tank vent line blockage are the vent thru-hull and the other end of the vent line--both that end of the hose and tank fitting. Clean all of it out.

If the toilet discharge line runs uphill, you're not flushing long enough to push the flush over the top of any loop...or long enough to get it to the tank. A new joker valve is just a "band-aid" that will last only as long as it takes for a little wear to open the slit a tiny bit...flushing long enough to clear the waste out of the line, then rinse the line, is the right solution. If you're concerned about filling up a tank with flush water, some replumbing of the toilet discharge line may solve that problem.
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2015, 13:47   #8

Thanks for input. Peg, the holding tank is below the toilet and the vent is clear. It seems that some of the outbound liquids end up coming out under bowl rim with flushing water. Next flush is clean. I think that it must be cross contamination in pump.
Old 26-07-2015, 18:35   #9
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Thanks for input. Peg, the holding tank is below the toilet and the vent is clear. It seems that some of the outbound liquids end up coming out under bowl rim with flushing water. Next flush is clean. I think that it must be cross contamination in pump.
That toilet design makes it pretty difficult for it to recirculate flushes...so I'm thinking you may have sucked up some animal or vegetable sea life that's died and is decaying in the intake line and channel in the rim of the bowl. If it's stinky, it's most likely NOT vegetable. So try this:

Buy a quart of distlled white vinegar (easier to find in the cleaning aisles of most grocery stores than in food aisles)...remove the intake line from the thru-hull (prob'ly would be a good idea to close the seacock first) and stick it in a bucket of clean fresh water to which you've added the whole qt of vinegar. Flush the whole bucketful through the toilet. Repeat with a bucketful of clean water. That SHOULD flush a lot of the junk out of the system, if not all of it. Leave the intake line disconnected for 2-3 days, keeping the bucket full of clean fresh water for flushing. If I'm right, you shouldn't see any more "recirculated" flushes...if I'm wrong and the toile really is recirculating, it'll be easier and cheaper to replace the toilet's lower base unit--iow, everything south of the bowl than it would be to track down the failed part(s) and replace 'em.
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2015, 19:35   #10

Boat: Hans Christian 33

We live on a river and the water that comes in for the raw water flush can be brownish and stinky do we use our shower head to flush with the fresh water. At least once a week we have to open the salt water intake and clear the line of all the brown water.
ReMetau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2015, 05:46   #11

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

We have owned the same raw water toilet and currently have the Quiet Flush Fresh Water models.

There is no way for the toilet to recycle sewage water back into the bowl through the upper bowl drain.

Sewage can enter back through the main drain in the bottom of the bowl, if the joker valve is worn.

My guess is the first flush is stagnant water that has sat in the inbound water line for a couple of days or there may be rust in the internal channels built into the porcelain bowl.

It could also be growth in the water line from the thru hull to the toilet. That can be cleaned with vinegar

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2015, 05:53   #12

Boat: Ferrocement Converted Trawler, 13m

Flushing the whole system with Coke. White or black, it all goes best down the toilet. The black stuff is excellent at cleaning drains and should be safe for any fittings and seals, as long as you rinse it well afterwards.

Failing that, bucket and chuck it. I keep my bucket on the back deck, handy for when the big flash boats go past too fast and make me spill my rum.

"5 knots ya' bastards!"

Peace.
Mr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2015, 06:03   #13

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

I did an overhaul last week on a Jabsco system demonstrating similar issues. The owner reported that the macerator pump was working and draining the holding tank. Being in port I didn't confirm his observation, so I did a complete replacement of the ancient toilet pump, deteriorated pump switch, and installed the included seawater pressure pump, seawater strainer, and installed an anti-siphon vent (never originally installed). All those things needed replacement, including all of the hose from seawater intake to connection to the holding tank. All in confined spaces, poor light, and withering heat. Then I discovered that the owner had mistaken the "sound" of a functioning macerator pump with the actual fact of a working pump. Replacement of the macerator cleared up the issue. In short, working on waste systems can sometimes mean replacing the entire system from one end to the other. At least the owner can be reassured of being able to "flush without fear" for a few more years.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2015, 08:33   #14

Quote:
check the JOKER valve. It sounds like it needs a replacement.
svinvictus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2015, 11:08   #15

I have owned a few boats in my life and had one where the raw water intake for the toilet was quite close to the discharge outlet through the hull
As the "solid waste" is discharged it gets picked up with the oncoming raw flush water until tide or otherwise moves the discolouration away
Could that be your problem??
keithrg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, jabsco