Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2011, 10:10   #16

Boat: Hunter Passage 42
The water is shut off coming in before the flush cycle begins which is part of the control module and that is working corectly.
sailboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2011, 10:28   #17

Boat: MacGregor65- s/vSunsets
We have the foot switch. But if you installed all new hose from the unit to the tank, then I don't know what would be causing it.

I wonder what Jabsco would say. I wish I had planned my visit here to Ft. Lauderdale better so I could have gone to the boat show">Miami Boat Show and asked them.
s/v Sunsets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2011, 12:50   #18

Boat: Hunter Passage 42
I was able to get the Jabsco Lite Flush to stop splashing water out by removing the joker valve. Which is totally wrong from a functional view. So I soaked the joker valve in hot water for 1 min. then cold water with a screw driver in it. This made the valve stay just a hair open. It still stops blackflush and now very little splashes out when it does splash. I should not have to spend so much time for a simple install. I called Jabsco tech dept. 4 days ago but no return call yet.
sailboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2011, 03:56   #19

Re: Jabsco 58500 Lite Flush

HELLO?

WE HAVE INSTALLED 2 LITE FLASH TOILETS LAST YEAR.
I THINK YOU CAN NOT EASY SORT THE PROBLEM OF THE SPLASHBACK AT THE END OF THE FLUSH. AT THE END OF THE FLUSH THE PUMP STOPS AND THE RETURNVALVE CLOSE THERSELVE BUT THERE IS STILL A LITTLE BIT OF WATER MOVING ARROUND IN THE BOWL AND THATS DE REASON OF THE SPLASHBACK.IMO DELMARRY HAS RIGHT ABOUT SLOWLY DECREASE THE PRESSURE BUT THATS NOT EASY YOU WILL NEED A EXTRA ELECTR STEERINGSYSTEM .
A BIGGER PROBLEM :AFTHER 3 MONTHS OF USING TE LITE FLUSH IN A HOT CLIMATE(TURKEY) THE WHOLE SYSTEM BLOCKS BECAUSE THE USE SO LITTLE WATER TO FLUSH THATS THERE ALWAYS STAY URINE IN THE HOSE BETWEEN THE BOWL AND THE WASTE TANK AND THAT LITTLE BIT THATS STAY IN THE BOWL.THIS URINE STARTS TO CRYSTALIZE(TEMP+30°CELS) AND BLOCKS IN NO TIME THE HOSE,
RETURNVALVE,PUMP AND EVERTHING.MAKING EVERTHING CLEAN IS A HELL AND VARY DIRTY WORK.
I WONDER THERE IS A POSSIBLILITY TO FLUSH WHIT MORE WATER SO THERE IS ONLY FRESH OUR SALT WATER IN THE TUBES,PUMP AND BOWL AFTHER FLUSHING.
IN MY CALCULATION IF THE HOSE IS 2.5 METER LONG(MINE IS 2.5M) YOU NEED AT LEAST 3.5 LITER AND STILL THAN THERE WILL BE A MIX OF URINE AND WATER IN THE SYSTEM.OFFCOURSE YOU CAN FLUSH 3 OUR 4 TIMES BUT THATS VERY NOISY AT NIGHT.
ANYBODY WHO CAN GIVE ME SOME ADVICE?
WILDANDWET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2011, 07:32   #20
Marine Service Provider

Practical Sailor published a test of electric toilets in their February issue this year that included every major brand/model...they rated the Raritan Sea Era Raritan Sea Era "best budget buy" and the Raritan Elegance Raritan Elegance toilet "best in show." They weren't impressed with any Jabsco toilet.

Re noise: All toilets designed to use sea water are noisy...some worse than others. Only toilets designed to use pressurized fresh water are quiet, and the noise level varies among those too. Reason: contrary to what most people believe, it's not the macerator or discharge pump that makes all the noise, it's the sea water intake pump...toilets designed to use pressurized flush water don't have an intake pump, they have solenoid valves.

So if you have a water maker or access to plenty of fresh water for free, go with a fresh water toilet...much quieter, uses less water and power, and eliminates sea water odors.
peghall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2011, 07:45   #21
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legado42 View Post
...our boat sits during the week and we have had issues with smelly seawater sitting in the supply lines. Have you experienced this? If so, have you found a solution?
Water poured into the bowl only rinses out the toilet discharge line...it won't flush sea water out of the intake lines and pump, which is where most sea water odor problems originate. The best solution is to tee the head intake line into the head sink drain line below the waterline. Flush normally using sea water...then, after you've closed the seacocks, fill the sink with clean fresh water...flush the toilet. Because the seacock is closed the toilet will pull the water out of the sink, rinsing out the WHOLE system.

Do NOT, however, decide to conserve fresh water by using gray water from the sink to flush the toilet...soap scum, dirt toothpaste etc are not good for the rubber parts in toilet pumps, manual OR electric.
peghall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2013, 11:09   #22

Boat: Island Packet 38

I just installed a brand new Jebsco Lite Flush toilet. With new 1-1/2 waste lines and using fresh water to test. I like the quick flush cycles but I get a consistent splash out of the toilet to about a foot up onto the wall on right side with each flush cycle. Could be nasty with waste in the bowl. With the lid closed it makes a bit mess in there too. Besides tampering with the joker valve as mentioned above. Does any one have any other suggestions?
cutter jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2013, 11:31   #23

Boat: Caliber 40LRC

Is the potty installed level?

My Jabsco electric toilet does this but rarely and usually straight up and then back into the bowl.
TKR on a Boat Website
Tim R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2013, 11:42   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutter jones View Post
I just installed a brand new Jebsco Lite Flush toilet. With new 1-1/2 waste lines and using fresh water to test. I like the quick flush cycles but I get a consistent splash out of the toilet to about a foot up onto the wall on right side with each flush cycle. Could be nasty with waste in the bowl. With the lid closed it makes a bit mess in there too. Besides tampering with the joker valve as mentioned above. Does any one have any other suggestions?
That is the old styled head you have. They were flawed. If I look down inside the head. You will see the impeller. Has a hole in the center. Where the shaft is. The new style impeller has no such hole. And does not splash waste back at you
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2013, 11:51   #25

Jabsco sent me a complete new head. No charge.
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2013, 15:47   #26

Thanks. I just sent them a note.
Old 16-08-2013, 13:39   #27

Wow. Nice folks at Jebsco. They told me to email a video of the water splashing out and they'd send me a new one. No charge, free shipping. He said I had a very old version.
Old 01-09-2014, 00:47   #28

we have just had a jabsco light flush fitted in April - we have had problems with it since after three months of it being installed - the control panel has stopped working and now the wheel on the belt has snapped - anyone can advise if they have had any issues also. thanking your for your reply in advance - one unhappy puppy
spicy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2014, 03:55   #29

Boat: Jeanneau 43DS

As I write we are tied up in sivota Greece with problems.

We had the unit fitted a few months ago. After 6 weeks use it has stopped pumping out. We can hear the motor spin but the macerator isn't turning. Engineer coming to look at it ASAP.

We also get a little splash back at times and our unit has no hole in top of macerator.
Alenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2014, 05:30   #30

Boat: Nordhavn 46, 46'

I installed two of these on my Moody 46. No issues. Boat was pre-wired, but finding the wires was another story. Anyway, I use the fresh water system, and I'll flush it for as many seconds as the run to the holding tank is in feet--about 5-6 for the fwd head; 6-7 for the aft head. That seems to clear any debris from the lines. There is noise when flushing and just adding water. Sounds loud to me inside the head compartment, especially at night, but with the head door closed, it is not enough to wake anyone up.

I've had no maintenance issues in two years. I installed a similar toilet on a previous boat and had no issues for 6 years. On both boats, the toilets were controlled by the bulkhead-mounted control unit. And on my current boat I installed the household (the larger) sized toilet. It is far, far more comfortable, but I admit to installing that size mainly to keep the neat wooden toilet seats that came on the manual pump toilets. They were awesome-looking and very expensive. I don't recall any if much price difference between the compact and regular size toilets.
Moody46CC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flushing, jabsco