Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 12-01-2013, 22:14   #46
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28
Re: It didnt smell that way when I bought it!?

The hose that Lagoon4us is suggesting is sold by Raritan.

Raritan SANI-FLEX Odor Shield Hose is super flexible to make installation easy. Five year warranty against odor bleed through. Made from high quality buytl rubber.

The 1-1/2" size can be bent to a 3" radius. That can make installation a lot easier.
Raritan SANI-FLEX Odor Shield Hose 1-1/2"
Old 12-01-2013, 23:11   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by boating2go View Post
When you install the PVC do you run it all the way or use some hose at each end to allow some flex? Seems to me if it is rigid it could break if the boat rolls a lot.
Do you mean rolls or do you mean flexes? Seems to me that rolling of the boat will not break PVC pipe within the boat. Flexing of the boat might in theory, but PVC is more flexible than the boat itself, so I think the boat would break before the pipe would.

Old 13-01-2013, 11:17   #48

Boat: Alberg 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post

Ask a corpse. It certainly can't be good for the aerobic bacteria you want to encourage in the tank.
I'm more cautious of the effects on the living. There's a copper based treatment for encouraging aerobic and killing anaerobic, cheap too. Made in Richmond, used by large feedlots and sewer systems.
Old 13-01-2013, 12:32   #49

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by boating2go View Post
When you install the PVC do you run it all the way or use some hose at each end to allow some flex? Seems to me if it is rigid it could break if the boat rolls a lot.
Yes, we use a short length of neoprene i think it is to make the connections to the tank, deck fitting etc, the minimum we can get away with, we use the short lengths that they sell in the plumbing section with the pvc that are maybe 4" long that come with 2 hose clamps, also because a boat is not a box like a house we try to use as few fitting as possible so we bend the pipe as much as we can using a heat gun and also make the effort to secure the runs. PVC works great and is of course much cheaper than the so called marine sanitation hose that is only a temporary fix for the smell. It can be tricky routing it so if you are paying someone to do it the labor may be more in the short term but you wont have to do it again in a couple of years.

Steve.
Old 13-01-2013, 16:07   #50
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockwork orange View Post
Yes, we use a short length of neoprene i think it is to make the connections to the tank, deck fitting etc, the minimum we can get away with, we use the short lengths that they sell in the plumbing section with the pvc that are maybe 4" long that come with 2 hose clamps, also because a boat is not a box like a house we try to use as few fitting as possible so we bend the pipe as much as we can using a heat gun and also make the effort to secure the runs. PVC works great and is of course much cheaper than the so called marine sanitation hose that is only a temporary fix for the smell. It can be tricky routing it so if you are paying someone to do it the labor may be more in the short term but you wont have to do it again in a couple of years.

Steve.

True, PVC pipe is permeation proof. However, there are concerns, limiting the applicability to boats.

1. Fernco boots (the rubber connector mentioned) are actually made of PVC and their resistance to oils is pretty limited. Not good for users of PG antifreeze or vegetable oil for head lube. EG is OK.
  2. Fernco boots are only rated at 4.3 PSI and cannot be double clamped. Certainly not suitable for use on a seacock and not suitable for the head-to-tank line; they can be blown right off trying to push out a blockage.
  3. PVC pipe will not break due to the boat moving, but it can easily shatter in cold weather if an object or sailor is thrown against it. It can break if a sailor steps on a seacock, which though not recommended, is something they should be able to withstand.
Really, the boots are ONLY for gravity lines in household plumbing.
Fernco Flexible Stock Coupling | Plumbing and Drain Flexible Coupling | Fernco
Can they be used on a boat? No. Glue on a hose adapter and use a short bit of sanitation hose. SCH 40 (not DWV) PVC pipe can be quite acceptable, particularly if there are long straight runs. Of course, with good boat design there are no long runs because there are other problems (backflow).

All things considered, most sailors will be safer and happier with Raritan or Trident hose.

Writing full-time since 2014.
Bookstore:http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/20...ook-store.html
thinwater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2013, 22:48   #51

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2

Good point re the conection to a seacock, i sail on Lake Superior (zero discharge) we dont plumb to a seacock, just from the head to the tank and the tank to the deck fitting. One could easily substitute a short section of sanitation hose to make the connections althought the chance of bursting the Fernco boot are about zero as about half is on each side of the join. You dont need straight runs as you can make gentle curves by softening the pvc with a heat gun.Unfortunatly there are often long runs on boats due to the difficulty of finding a suitable location for a reasonable size tank, on one of my own boats the run from the tank to the deck fitting was over 8ft which i shortened up considerably when i converted to pvc by relocating the deck fitting.

Steve.
Old 20-03-2013, 13:56   #52

Without going back through this enitre thread, ill just update with: the smell was/is raw water sitting too long, which i am looking to convert over to a solenoid to switch from fresh water in port and salt underway. the smells coming from the tank and below was due to an extremely clogged ventilation hose, all clear now. Next issue is to try to limit/reduce the water consumption in my 25 yo galley maide macerated system...which still run pretty strong. thanks to all for your advice.
C

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: