Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2007, 08:39   #1

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
Isotherm Refrigerators

looking at Isotherm refrigerators and wondering how people liked theirs, especially if cruising in the tropics. Basically I'm wondering if I should spent twice the money for a frigaboat.
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 08:50   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
I have neither but have heard good things about Isotherm and not so good things about Frigoboat. Think there was a thread in this forum on poor service from Frigoboat.
Old 03-10-2007, 10:05   #3
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
Schoonerdog --

You might also want to check out: Sunfrost Refrigerator Models

Not cheap, but quality never is. They will custom build to your specs, if they don't have a model available in your needed dimensions. Very thick insulation.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 11:40   #4

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
I have Isotherm SP for a refrigerator and separate freezer. I'm in Annapolis and very happy with the cooling and energy consumption.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 12:12   #5

Boat: Islander Freeport 41 1976
Send a message via Yahoo to windthief
Have one and love it.

Being in San Diego we are close to the tropics 8 months out of the year. In addition our fridge is outside between the cockpit seats, about 3 feet long, 2 feet wide, and deep enough to hold a half gallon of milk standing up. Insulation is 3 1/2 inches thick all the way around. Our bimini is not up yet so we keep a piece of carpet over it and maintain 41 degrees. The running time with our mid sized evaporator plate and fridge mostly full is about three times in an hour for about 4 min each time. Every time it kicks in the draw is 4.5 - 5.5 amps.
windthief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 18:50   #6

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
Thanks guys for the input. Going to the boat show to look at the different models, basically the 130 model of each. ID, sent an email over to sunfrost, they also look like good boxes.
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 05:27   #7

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
We have the Cruise 190 fridge and Cruise 90 freezer. Love them both. Recently lost the compressor on the fridge from lightning strike. Indel Marine (Isotherm) was quick to sell direct and ship a new unit.

Easy folks with which to deal.

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2008, 04:23   #8

Refrigeration

Hello, I have a Danfoss BD50, is there a recomendation, or limitation, on the evaporator plate. Regareds. mbu745
mbu745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2008, 07:35   #9
Marine Service Provider

Sizing Danfoss BD evaporators

First the size of icebox to be converted to refrigeration and box temperature desired for the worst case cruising climate will determine evaporator size. In most cases when purchasing aluminum roll bond evaporators the correct expansion capillary tube will be a part of evaporator. Once an evaporator is selected the correct capacity compressor can be matched to it, this is important if daily energy efficiency is important. In my 12/24 volt refrigeration manual I recommend that Danfoss BD 50 variable speed compressor can be match to roll bond evaporators having a surface area of 125 sq in to 505 sq inches.
Richard Kollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2008, 12:17   #10
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
The Isotherm Cooler/Freezer chests are great!

I have 2 stacked on top of one another in the pilothouse, where the lower is the Freezer (Pulls out like a drawer) and the top is the drinks fridge.

Drinks are ice cold and stand alone units are well insulated and quiet

Attractive and very convenient to the cockpit and also galley.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2008, 12:26   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Amanda Faye 61' Custom Irwin aftcockpit ketch
I converted out chest ref/ freezer unit using a isotherm last year and it does everything that they said. I like it.
Old 21-11-2008, 16:04   #12

Boat: islandpacket
I like this one on e-bay, 47L EVAKOOL Fibreglass Fridge RFE47-FF car portable 12v

ALL SIZES AVAILABLE IN THE STORE 5 YR WARRANTY AUS MADEItem number: 330285946184
Old 23-09-2009, 14:34   #13

Boat: Tartan, 3400, 34 Sea Rover
I'm thinking of installing an Isotherm SP unit on my Tartan here in SW Florida. Is there anyone down here in the lower latitudes using an Isotherm SP unit. How is it working?

Thanks,
John Amalfitano
Punta Gorda FL
Cptjohn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2009, 19:50   #14

Fridge.

Hello CptJohn1, I'm busy to build myself a fridge box with vacuum panels. We're most of the time in tropics where water- and air temperatures are high. I gone use an evaporator plate and a Danfoss 35 compressor. Now I have a problem, what type of cooling system is the most economical. For most systems there are pro- and contra. Do you have more information on those items. Can you please keep me informet what you find out. Regards. Willy
mbu745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2009, 20:37   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
We have had an Isotherm water cooled, ASU holding plate system for a few months now. It works great, but it is clear that our iceboox insulation is lacking. Installation was easy. The unit we got was the 4203 freezer unit. It uses ~4a when on low, 6a when on high.

We already had the intake and discharge installed. If I did not already have them, I would have installed a evaporator unit instead.

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
isotherm