Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2018, 06:57   #46
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Bristol 45.5
Re: Is water cooled small refrigerator really a good idea.

This is ColdEh's receiver filter dryer compared to the typical one used on many marine refrigeration systems . We only use Parker brand components. There is also a very fine screen inside the TXV , so doing double duty .

Also have a look at the picture from our high ambient temperature test. Sorry for the fuzzy but you can still read the numbers .

From right to left

Ambient temperature on the right side 122.7 F
Box temperature -15.2 C or 4.64 F
Amperage 1.58 amps @ 12.26vdc
Condensing temperature 116.6 F
Evaporator temperature -5.8 F
High side pressure 148 psig

So even if the system ran 24hrs a day it would only use 37.92 amp hrs. at this condensing temperature. This is including the fans . No water cooling

Regards John.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0257.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	164262   Click image for larger version

Name:	ColdEh Marine Refrigeration high ambient temperature test 2016.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	257.4 KB
ID:	164263  

Typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2018, 10:38   #47
Marine Service Provider

John, Most of the universal application refrigerant receivers like the one in your picture are also filter dryers, although this would not affect systems performance.
Richard Kollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2018, 11:26   #48
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Bristol 45.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Kollmann View Post
John, Most of the universal application refrigerant receivers like the one in your picture are also filter dryers, although this would not affect systems performance.
Hi Richard .

Thank you, but I never said it did. Using quality parts during assembly is always a good practice. Using a lesser quality part may impact the longevity of a system.

Regards John.
Typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2018, 16:16   #49
cruiser

[QUOTE=Richard Kollmann;2578163]Ozepete, I only respond to refrigeration technical comments that appear to be unusual based on my experience and known engineering standards.. I am sorry but I know very little about design of Ozefridge refrigeration other than marketing information on the web. In addition there are pictures and forum comments from you. I can not or would not question Ozefridge products with my knowledge of your systems. I have spent the last 27 years providing free training and technical support to hundreds of boaters and technicians in the refrigeration repair business. And yes I believe debates on an open forum will get icebox conversion refrigeration manufactures attention. My task has always been to assist boaters in DIY refrigeration repair anywhere in the world.

Richard I appreciate your comments above and issue you an invitation to discuss or inspect any aspect of the Ozefridge products. Email me at: ozefridge@ozemail.com.au

Insults are not healthy good business or constructive in Debates.
Neither is the constant insinuation of impropriety aimed at us small system manufacturers as in this thread post 37 opening remarks!

Danfoss BD engineered compressors operating on 134a refrigerant with Capillary tube refrigerant flow controls most operate with a high pressure liquid refrigerant of 105 to 120 psi.
Richard you are moving the goal posts!! The original discussion was clearly about system high side pressure that you continuously stated should not exceed 120PSIG.

This discussion started when I was assisting a member stuck in the tropics (SE Pacific) with an inoperative system full of air, and you chimed in deriding the advice I was providing him.

Check the thread here: 03.06.2017 ‘Danfoss BD50 Compressor pulling way too many amps’
I advised him at post 16 of that thread, quote:
“Air in these tiny systems will greatly increase the consumption due to the inability of air to compress and condense similar to the refrigerant.
These systems operate at approx 5 to 15 PSI on the low side (suction) and about 140 PSI on the high side (discharge) “

Then you responded dismissive of that comment with post 21 quote:
“Pressures quoted earlier are wrong for your system with 134a refrigerant you will not see low pressure above 10 psi or low pressure much below 3 psi. High pressures above 120 is also incorrect”.

And again later you responded with post 27 quote:
“ For thirty five years fan air cooled systems have operated with high side pressures of 105 psi to 120 psi”

Richard I think you are perhaps confused or don’t understand the function of a condenser because YOUR statement that high side pressures should not exceed 120 PSIG is 100% WRONG!

If you wish to email me I will refer you to some very good Enthalpy Texts and R134a Pressure / temperature charts to study.
Also thanks for the suggestion of consulting your nominated service tecs but after 56 years in refrigeration I am past learning new tricks, besides if they also believe that a system operating in the tropics will have a head pressure of less than 120 PSIG, then they know very little about refrigeration, period!

Cheers OzePete Ozefridge | 12 Volt Refrigeration Systems
OzePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2018, 05:25   #50
Marine Service Provider

Pete, you have asked for private email discussions before and I favor no one manufacturer over another. To benefit the many boaters lucky enough to have operating refrigeration I vote for open forum discussions. I believe boat refrigerators should always be repairable. Yes, I would advise you by email it I saw a problem that you might want to handle. It sounds like your refrigeration system has addressed many problems other companies are still struggling with.
I am surprised at a business plan where your web site does not include a maintenance, servicing and repair manual. Icebox conversion units are not easily returned to factory for repairs as you suggest.
Old 17-02-2018, 15:59   #51
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Kollmann View Post
Well Richard, you have managed to totally avoid the key issue, being incorrect information regards system head pressure. (High side PSIG)

Pete, you have asked for private email discussions before and I favor no one manufacturer over another.
My only interest in emailing you was to inform you privately of an important error.
You have a reputation for freely helping members as a sort of authority and that is commendable. However the information provided needs to be correct specially when presented as authoritative. The most important factors required to analyze a defective DC refrigeration system are: Power supply. (Voltage and consumption rate), Suction pressure and most importantly High side pressure. To advise someone operating in the tropics that their head pressure should not exceed 120PSIG is remiss at the least!

To benefit the many boaters lucky enough to have operating refrigeration I vote for open forum discussions. That's fine, it's your reputation I was concerned about

I believe boat refrigerators should always be repairable. Yes, I would advise you by email it I saw a problem that you might want to handle.

It sounds like your refrigeration system has addressed many problems other companies are still struggling with.Thank you. We certainly have evolved a brilliant product and would be pleased to discuss several of it's unique features in another thread later

I am surprised at a business plan where your web site does not include a maintenance, servicing and repair manual.
Richard, things are very different down here, for a start our population is sparse (One fifteenth of the USA yet about the same land mass!) We supply a detailed 24 page install / service manual with each system and make this available on-line to our clients. Our product is 'plug and play' where possible to make it more likely that the owner can sort any issues themselves often with our guidance. All units have an "Auto / Manual' switch which allows by-passing all the control functions to manual should there be an electrical issue (Bypasses C & T)
We provide a qualified refrigeration mechanic available 7 days a week and hold a huge stock of all spares. I would guarantee that we can get parts to say SE Asia quicker than an Aussie can get parts for another brand here in our own country. Many of our clients are cruising SE Asia where service is a nightmare! (Like a refrigeration mechanic who asks 'what is a vacuum pump!!)
Icebox conversion units are not easily returned to factory for repairs as you suggest.
Cheers OzePete Ozefridge | 12 Volt Refrigeration Systems
OzePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2018, 18:41   #52
Marine Service Provider

Pete, Thanks for your opinions and informative discussion.

Tags
refrigerator, water